Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Love This Car!
By Lisa

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I carefully researched this vehicle, comparing consumer reviews, cost, safety, and insurance premiums for the Yaris, Fit and Aveo. The Yaris won "hands-down" and was worth the one month wait for my vehicle. My Yaris is replacing our Ford Escape in my daily commute. I am now driving twice as far on 1/2 the price of gas. There is also plenty of interior space with the versatile seating capability. I packed the car for a trip "north" with golf clubs, gym bags, bike rack, dog and kennel. There was plenty of room to spare.

Favorite Features

MP3 jack, MPG, quiet ride, versatile seating, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof, arm rest

My 1st NEW car - EVER @ 48yrs old
By Rex

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have always been the 3rd/4th owner of every vehicle I've ever had. Finally decided to get a new car (thinking of gas mileage), researched the Yaris hatchback. Well I have had it 1wk ago today. Awesome mileage, 175 mi thus far - and only used a 1/4 tank.. I love my car! I went from a gas eating 81 Ford f150 to this Yaris. And I'm completely satisfied!

Favorite Features

ALL of them thus far. Stereo is great, steering A+, mileage>>woohooo!!! I don't have a "favorite" yet - I'm just in awe of my car still!

Great MPG
By Roy

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2008 Yaris sight unseen and never test drove the model. I am pleased with the ride and build quality. This car is not a Camry, but rides remarkably well for a small car. I was surprised at the noise level in the car. I was expecting very noisy, but find the sound level to be tolerable. I have achieved 45 mpg on the highway which is amazing. The car is rated for 37 highway, but I have run thru 2 tanks of gas and registered 44 & 45 mpg. The only secret to my success is driving no faster than 60 mph. The car is quiet enough at that speed and it is also the sweet spot for MPG. If you want great MPG drive this car gently and you won't be disappointed

Favorite Features

MPG - A/C works great. Seat is ok on comfort. Power windows and door locks. Inside space is large for such a small car. The styling of the car is great. People always smile when the look at it.

Suggested Improvements

Make the rub strip on the rear bumper standard. Equip the car with luxury features like the Camry.

Start Saving Money and Have Fun
By Gas Sipper

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Yaris as a commuter. My Dodge Hemi Pickup now is my "utility" vehicle for trips and weekends. The Yaris has completely surprised me; not only am I saving $200+ per month on gas, I am really enjoying driving it. I have the bare bones model; power nothing, not even a radio. It is amazingly peppy and handles great. It it totally simple and utilitarian, yet safe and fun. They're hard to find in some areas, so start looking now.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior simplicity, visibility. The interior room is incredible for what it looks like from the outside.

Suggested Improvements

Side curtain airbags should be standard (like the Prius).

2 DR Hatchback first 1000
By Dale

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Well I hit the 1000 mile point in two weeks. The car I bought is a bare bones unit with an upgraded radio and cruise control. No power locks or windows. The car has plenty of power to get you down the road. This is not a rocket, but does good. My mileage over rural / highway has been 34.7. I have a heavy foot and my daughter found that she was driving around in 3rd instead of Drive. Very roomy feel in the drivers seat. There are several things that take some getting used to, like the position of the steering wheel. The seats are a bit stiff, but should soften in time. This is a good lower priced car, but it seems demand is driving the price up. Wait to buy when the price comes down.

Favorite Features

Sporty European looks. MPG is great over my 4X4. Drives sporty and has a great turning radius. Plenty of room in the back for grown ups to sit. Plenty of cargo room with the seats down. Get up and goes well. No problems driving through Atlanta traffic.

Suggested Improvements

The road noise is bad on some roads. I hit one spot on the interstate that made some much noise that the radio could not be heard. Look into the protection option with undercoating. Other cars loaded can offer more for the $$'s and less road noise, if you want a loaded unit.