Used 2008 Toyota Yaris S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

2008 sedan still going strong
By Bob

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new in 2008. Coming up on 195,000 miles. Most reliable car I have ever had. Just routine things like oil changes and tires. Replaced the belt at 150,000 miles. It has a timing chain, not a belt so as long as you change the oil on schedule that will never be a problem. My Mechanic says its in excellent shape, it will last me several more years. I am retired, so I drive it on vacations a lot, it has been in 45 of the lower 48 states. Engine is amazing for a 1.5 I regularly cruise at 80 to 85, and you dont even feel it. Regularly gets 40 mpg combined. Only thing I do not have that I should have gotten is cruise control, and you can get one with it. Great little car, was only 13,000 brand new. I am a big guy, and what sold me on it was the great drivers head room.

Best Car Yet
By dsutt

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am very please with my Yaris. It is a manual tranny, and like others have said, get the manual if you want to make the car fun to drive. Mileage is awesome. I get 47 MPG in the warm season. It drops to about 41 in the winter. I do not baby the car to get that MPG. I accelerate to keep up with others, and usually drive +7 to 10 MPH over the limit. The brakes are solid, the electronic steering is solid, the suspension does not roll when taking corners at 30 MPH! The radio sounds great, the lights are very bright...I can't really find a fault with the car. The one thing that could be better are the front seats. My lower back tends to sink into the backrest too far.

MPG. Stick shift. Looks. Build Quality. Simple yet snazzy. Easy to work on. Can almost change the oil filter without going under the car. Inexpensive. Where else can you get a great car like this for under $15k new?

Seats could use help. A 6th gear would be great, as running the engine at over 3k at 70 mph seems too high. Stock tires wear out quickly (potenzas), but they do stick to the road in the turns...

One year in review...
By arice

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After months of research last year between the Yaris, Versa, and Fit, I chose to get a Toyota Yaris, and I am so glad that I did. I am on the road a lot for work (both hwy and city), so when purchasing a car last year, my main concern was reliability and gas mileage. When I first purchased the Yaris, it got around 36 mpg, but now that it is broken in I have gotten up to 41 mpg. I am very pleased with my purchase, and would recommend the Yaris for anyone wanting an economical car to zip around town in.

mpg, comfortable and roomy, reliability

The cup holders are in front of the heat and air vents.

Winter Mountain Car Replaces Jeep
By Brian White

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for the fuel savings over my old Grand Cherokee. You could say I got a free car out of the deal once you factor in the savings, and not a bad one at that. Tons of space for a small car and fun to drive. I drive this in a mountainous area of Canada which has the highest snow fall in Canada, most years anyway. So it is December and the studded tires are on and the car seems to be fairing quite well. A little noise from the studs but not as much as I thought there would be from a small car. The first gear is a little spongy but actually works well in limiting wheel spin in slippery situations. Other than that, not much wrong with this econ-o-box.

The fuel mileage. With the adequate ground clearance it seems to handle well in the snow, which is why I didn't buy the Civic. My friend gets stuck in her Civic, even with studded tires, to low to the ground. I suspect you will see lots of these in Colorado. I live in a very similar place.

The transmission is a bit whiny, maybe a heavier fluid will help and the gear ratios could be looked at for some fine tuning. Maybe scissor hinges on the trunk lid instead of the >in the way< C hinges. Other than that.. good job Toyota.

Loving the fuel mileage
By Brian Young

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I really enjoy our Yaris S 5-speed. The lowest mileage we've gotten is 44 and the highest almost 49. Have driven it nearly 7000 troublefree miles and are impressed with the ride and quietness for such a small relatively inexpensive car. There is plenty of passenger room and the trunk is amazingly large.

Wife likes the center gauges - on all our previous cars she has had difficulty seeing the gauges through the steering wheel because she has to have the seat as far forward as it will go.

Auto headlamps would be nice and trunk release needs to be added to the remote.