2008 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
camshaft
By mselder on 04/30/13 16:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a toyota yaris and this car is good on gas and reliable. however it went from good to bad in no time. I use my car to commute to/from work and i drove 150 miles per day. I got a oil change on april 16th and the 23rd my camshaft broke with no clear reason why. there was evidence of oil burns and foul play i don't think. I'm thinking that the camshaft was faulty and finally gave out or toyota yaris 2008 is no good after 84,000 miles. There have been many recall for yaris 2008. I seen many people complaining about break pads or something to that nature. but if you google recall there have be some recalls. My car should not be having my major engine problem especially before 120,ooo

2008 yaris hatchback is a beast!!!
By logek_aok on 04/23/13 22:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

First off as a guy always driving big cars this was a change...But a good one i drove a toyota avalon but the gas was killing me.So did the research and the Yaris kept coming up.I drove every where in this car from chicago philly new york new jersey south carolina virginia and so on..Never a break down low maintenance just put gas and change oil thats it. Did a couple of up grades weathertech window vents and mats..Go on ebay and get oem parts thats don't come standard like armrest, cargo cover and cargo net..way cheaper than dealer

Best value in a compact car
By davedietrich on 03/21/13 18:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have done extensive research before buying the Yaris. Reliability is bulletproof, low maintenance costs, drives like it is a bigger car. With the right tires (Michelin Defender) the drive is very smooth and quiet. Fuel economy is exceptional. Peppy for an auto with only a 1.5 engine. Surprisingly good room in the back and front seats. The seats are quite comfortable and supportive. Only negative is the small cargo area in the hatchback. Will be driving this car for a very long time. If you need a car that does not break the bank or your budget for as long as you own it, yo really can not go wrong with a Yaris.

very pleased
By heatherx360 on 08/03/12 10:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February after my volkswagen beetle and bmw both croaked, and costed over 5500.00 to repair each. I didnt like it at first but fell in love after. The style it cute, plenty of room, better mpg than prius cost is almost half, doesnt have all that eletrical junk that seems to always fail, cheap to fix and easy to work on, cheap car but everything is built with great quality unlike volkswagens cheap plastic everything, very easy to park. Im a delivery driver and couldnt ask for a better car. Parents owned 7 toyotas and none had less than 250k miles one had 326k still running today. the yaris has everything plus the toyota reliability and it wont break your bank

Another weekend road trip success
By dadinfo on 03/11/12 14:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just did 400 miles I-70 Colorado mountains averaged 70 plus mph 39 to 40 miles per gallon!

Worth it.
By Elaine on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and I must say I have not been disappointed. For $13,500 there is no way I could have gotten a better new car than this. It is fun to drive (had a 00 Volvo before this) and you get great gas mileage. Makes great U-turns and I can actually parallel park with this car. As far as built quality, well that is where it really could do better. Too much cheap plastic and the inside cloth on the driver's door is fading for some reason. As far as reliability goes, I see it lasting forever. I've put 17K miles on it and have done only the oil changes.

This car deserves better press!
By Jon on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

A great, well-designed little car. Very comfortable for me (I'm 6'2", 220#) with more headroom than my Dad's minivan and more knee room than my friend's Mazda 3. As a tall person who usually finds the steering wheel partially blocking the speedometer, I actually found the center-mount speedo an improvement. Have driven the car through Wyoming blizzards and ugly urban commutes and found it pleasant, sturdy and nimble. It also holds a lot, like me, my 2-man crew, 2 tool boxes, & 25 gallons of paint (never thought the Yaris would muscle in on my pick-up!). Best mileage I've had was 42mpg on a run between S.F. and Reno. The worst was 25 mpg in urban stop & go commuting (using no freeways at all).

It's good enough so far
By Duder on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the little hatch back because I needed it's versatility and high fuel economy. The seat isn't exactly comfortable but supports my back better than the competition. I like it's French Styling with it's typical center mounted speedometer. All the storage bins are great and so is the extensible sun visor. The optional arm rest is well positioned for me and I like that the center console doesn't rob knee room. The thing that irritates me the most are all the rattles and vibrations that come and go. The good side of this annoyance is that it keeps me just irritated enough on long trips to keep me wide awake. In this respect the rattles add to the safety of the car.

Lovin' the Yaris
By Bobbi Jones on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This little car is out performing the gas mileage that it's supposed to get! I'm averaging 36.8 to 38.5 miles to the gallon! That's the AVERAGE! It's helping to make the payments with the money that I'm saving. It's cute, fun to drive. If I had to list a negative, I'd say the light gas pedal won't support the weight of my foot and you notice it on a long trip if you don't have cruise control. Not too much else, I'm happy with my purchase!

This little guy is a champ!
By J on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the base automatic all the options. It is a perfect second car. Has a ton of interior space and clever storage. This car is way more spacious than the Lexus IS I downgraded from. The backseat is fine for two average sized people when needed. I consistently get 36-38 mpg driving mostly highway at 70-80 mph. Also great in the snow with the skinny tires. This car shines as commuter car. It has plenty of go and decent handling. That is noticeably reduced with two passengers or heavy cargo. Still, 95% of the time, this car meets my needs like a champ. I just can't understand driving a huge 6-7 seater for only one person. Its great for road trips too. What more do you really need!?

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.