Used 2007 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Yaris

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

253,000 miles and counting!
By Rico

2007 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's the bare basics of a car that runs every day, handles off road adventures, and almost fits five comfortably! You have to drive this car, no cruise, no auto anything, no ABS, and very few problems. Watch for corroded battery terminals, replace the positive fuse block/terminal at 170,000 and save some headaches. I had a final drive seal go during warranty, but Toyota fixed it once and then the dealer fixed their bad installation as well. This car has run Sheep Pens Road in Baca County, Colorado, driven Pikes Peak, driven thousands of miles of dirt road and mud, and still drives my +200 mile daily commute. I get about 37 MPG on a two hundred ten mile daily commute on a US highway, but I have stretched it to 46 MPG on a few interstate highway trips with four adults and luggage (okay, very sparse luggage). It is not frilly, not fancy, but it will get you where you're going with a little fun. I've had it up to 108 MPH, and it starts to lift in the back so stay unser 102 MPH. I think the sport wing would get her up to 120 MPH no problem.

It's a great little car for the money
By Eva Alice

2007 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drove my Yaris, Barney, for five years. I bought him used in 2011 with about 45K miles and he has been a very reliable car for me. The only repair I have had to make the entire five years is the serpentine belt, which cost me about 60 bucks. The fuel efficiency has been great, the oil is super easy to change yourself, and other repairs are easy as well. The car is basic, it does not have a bunch of bells and whistles, but anyone who is shopping for this car should know that. It is cheap to drive and it gets you where you need to go. I had no problems with it in the snow, it drove really well in snowy weather, although I could not get it all the way up my driveway in snowy conditions unless I put on chains. The seats are a little uncomfortable for long drives, and even though the car seats five, it really is only comfortable for four. I've taken this on road trips with the family, and it is a tight squeeze. The backseat is very roomy thought for two people, lots of leg space. It does have a lot of plastic on the interior, and it is a little annoying, but super easy to keep clean. The AUX jack is finicky, and sometimes it takes some fiddling with to get it to work (it doesn't recognize that a cord is plugged in). This part is easy to replace yourself though, but it costs about $80 for the part! The headlights are a little tricky to replace, the manual will tell you to try to reach in behind the headlights under the hood to replace the bulb, but that is impossible unless you have the hands of a newborn baby. What I ended up doing was pulling the front bumper partially off, which was surprisingly simple (it just snaps on!). And I do not agree with the other reviews regarding it feeling unsafe. I felt perfectly safe on the freeway in this car, and elsewhere. The only issue I had in regards to ride was when it was windy, the car got pushed around a little, and also the road noise is really loud. Overall, for the price and the cost of maintenance, this is a great car! The only reason I have decided to give the car up is it is only a two door and I need something bigger to haul the family around in.

DAILY DRIVER ! Great MPG very economical
By LT

2007 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this with 150k miles and it runs like a new car. MPG are 38-40 mpg.
Compact car but feels like a mid size.

Aux cable is standard on this bad boy. 10 gallon tank that can go 350-400 miles when full. Livng up to the toyata reputation of reliability.

Pros:
Great MPG, Reliability, easy maintenance,bang for buck.

cons, minor engine noise (barely notice OCD) due to poor sound proofing of firewall.

BEST COMMUTER CAR.

I get it - it's an economy car. But c'mon!
By Brian Knapp

2007 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's an okay car. You buy it because it delivers reliability, economy, and excellent fuel mileage. I understand this car is an economy car and it's no Lexus - much less a Camry. I'm not comparing this car to a nicer car brand - it's entry level and I understand that. However, it's still not a car that I would buy again after having driven one - even if I was in the market for an economy car.

Pros:

Economy - between the infrequent repairs (hasn't had any issues in nine years of ownership), the fuel economy, and the MSRP, it's possibly one of the cheapest to buy and undisputedly cheapest to run used cars out on the market today. It would make an excellent first car or a car for someone who just doesn't like driving and needs something easy to commute to work in.

Reliability - In 9 1/2 years of ownership (we bought this car in April 2006), we have had zero issues with it. Nada. Nothing. It is a solid little car - that's expected of most Toyotas or Hondas however.

Cons:

Driving Dynamics - This car is scary on the highway. Trying to accelerate on a freeway entrance ramp is extremely difficult and downright dangerous. It's pretty peppy around the city, but trying to pass someone in this car is not for the faint at heart. Additionally, this car is from an era when electric assisted power steering was not quite as refined as it is today, so the steering feels pretty loose and a little "off" compared to older cars with hydraulic power steering. This gives the steering a "numb" feeling. I know this is a pretty subjective word to use, but the car just feels weird to drive. It's almost like driving a toy car or a golf cart. With an antiquated four speed automatic transmission, the engine gets pretty buzzy and it doesn't shift very smoothly.

Interior - Because of the starting price, I forgive the fact that there is hard plastics virtually everywhere, even on most places where your elbows rest. However, the interior is a bit too "Scion" in my opinion and not in a good way. Perhaps one of the biggest design flaws is the center mounted speedometer. Everyone in my family who has driven this car has had a few speeding tickets because it's easy to ignore the speedometer. I understand Toyota removed this in the newer generation of Yaris - thank goodness. Still - the center mounted speedometer is something that is hard to forgive and offers no benefit over a traditional steering wheel mounted speedometer. It's a classic example of form over function. Also, the seats are EXTREMELY uncomfortable - I often find myself hunching over the steering wheel with upper back pain because the seats are not very plush. The cloth is not soft and just feels really thin and not durable. The sound system is absolutely awful. Again - I get this is an economy car, but even my 2008 Toyota Corolla has a much better sounding stereo than the Yaris. The interior quality starts to show its age. We barely drive the car, but the plastics still rattle like crazy. The engine is extremely buzzy and there is a great deal of road noise in the cabin. The visibility is not terrible, but the exterior design gives it a pretty tall rear end, making the rear window a bit small. It also has EXTREMELY thick A-pillars which unfortunately block your view of pedestrians in the crosswalk. Overall, the interior of the Yaris is one of it's most pitiful downfalls.

Safety - this car seems like the perfect fit for your teenage daughter or God forbid your son (don't get him a Yaris). However - just look at the side impact crash test scores. The Yaris did NOT come with side impact airbags standard. This car is a death trap in a T-bone accident, which is the deadliest form of accident. Not to mention, a lot of these Yarisi have virtually NO anti-theft protection. This car doesn't even have a chipped key - so anyone with a screwdriver can start the car. Toyotas tend to be one of the most frequently stolen car brand, so the fact that Toyota didn't put this basic safety feature in the car is shameful. Even my 2000 Ford Taurus had a chipped key and thats approaching 16 years old! I wouldn't recommend this car if you live in an area with high car theft rates. IF you do, consider investing in a steering wheel club and/or an aftermarket alarm system.

Honestly - you can get that trademark Toyota reliability with just about any Toyota model out there. Consider investing in a 2000's era Camry instead (especially the '02-'06 generation) or a Toyota Corolla. You'll give up a few MPGs, but you'll get a safer, more comfortable car to commute in.

Don't be seduced by mpg
By Becky Pappas

2007 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I fell for the Toyoto. Problem #1) Attempting to slow down from 65 to 70 mph on highway. In fine, dry road conditions the flimsy car looses it's navigation and wobbles erratic as if airborne. Sure, I loved the zip, the style, the savings, the adorable play car compartments and streamlined accessibility. Problem#2) Spins while braking in rain and feels as if a wind is enough to pick it up and deliver it to Munchkinland where it belongs. Problem # 3) There is no wsy to afjust thr seatbelt and it strangles across mt neck rather than shoulder. This car is great on gas, but totally make believe for any true road hazards. The dealership saw dollar signs and I feel stunned.