Disappointed with ride/handling
By i50fwe on
2011 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)
I have less than 500 miles on new 2011 Venza and I'm ready to sell it. Very unhappy with the handling. At highway speed it requires constant attention to keep it straight. It just seems to wander out of the lane. It doesn't ride as smooth as I expected either. After first 2 hr trip I thought tires might be over inflated. I checked but all were set at 32 psi. After second 2 hr trip I have same complaint. Must be the electronic steering. This weekend I took my 2007 Honda Accord on same normal trip and remembered how great it handles. It required very little attention to keep in straight. I bought this car to be my primary road trip car because it has larger interior than Hond
Favorite Features
Like the exterior styling. Interior space is good. Good space for driver. Rear seats are very spacious. It has rear seat air vents. Good storage with rear seats down. They drop pretty flat for large items. Like the height of seat off the ground. Honda is too low now for old guy like me.
Suggested Improvements
Handling at high speed is bad as discussed above. Automatic speed control is really bad. Up/down shifting too much in hills. 07 Honda Accord is 1000% smoother. Sun visor doesn't extend to protect from sun on the side window. Upper back support for driver is not good. Dislike the 3 spoke T style of steering wheel. Four spoke on Honda is much easier to drive with on highway.
By edtherock
on 10/21/11 17:21 PM (PDT)

WOW! I have the V6 and it is by far the best car I have ever had. Maybe it is the 4 cylinder or the tires that cause it to wander. That is a NON issue in my car.. I have factory Michs on mine and I have driven 26k miles in 8 months since I owned. The tires are perfectly balanced and smooth . Have only had them rotated, not balanced. Up to and at 80 mph they are like riding on glass. So i suspect it is the tires that are your issue...

By pwoolever
on 10/22/11 01:29 AM (PDT)

I have a 2010 V6 and I'm not a power driver like you are but my experience is pretty different than yours. If anything I find the driving experience pretty mindless. If you are struggling to steer the car at high speeds I'd take it to the dealer, there's something wrong.

By susancab
on 05/31/12 10:00 AM (PDT)

I came on here to see if anyone else is having the same complaints as I am about my 2011 Venza 4 cyl and what you are describing is exactly my problem. I have only 10K miles in about 10 months that I have had it. I am ready to give this car back (thank God I'm only leasing it!). After driving it for 1000 miles, the car is drifting severely and I need both hands on the wheel constantly. Then after a five hour road trip and noticing how bad it drifts, I took it in for the 5000 mi service and complained about it. They aligned it and it did seem better for about 2 weeks. Then it started drifting heavy to the opposite side. Then at the 10K mi service, they said it's not the alignment but it needed to balance the tires, so they did that. Again, it was better for about two weeks and now its pulling to the opposite side as the last time. I tested it out at a high rate of speed (75 mph) and it was extremely bad. If I travel on a windy highway, I am paranoid and have both hands on the wheel just to stay in my lane. I hate driving this car and I don't feel safe in it. The car sounds course and there is absolutely NO power when accelerating. I should've got the 6 cyl but I wanted to save gas. I had a Honda Odyssey before and that was a 6 cyl and the gas consumption on the Venza is the same so I don't see any savings having a 4 cyl, just no power. If the handling and power of the car would be better, I'd really enjoy driving this car since it offers the interior space that I need. But this woman needs more handling control and engine power.