2009 Toyota Venza Consumer Review: My grown up Toyota

2009 Toyota Venza - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (3.5L V6 AWD 6-speed Automatic)

My grown up Toyota
By doodude on

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned nothing but Toyotas- a celica, 3 supras, a Tacoma and all have treated me well. I finally decided that I wanted something that was good for longer road trips, could get me to and from ski resorts, haul bikes and sports equipment, and do it reliably. With much consideration of other vehicles, I settled on the Venza and am pleased with the decision after a year and a half of driving it. Comfortable in front or back, easy to load, fantastic in snow, and looks nice. No trips back to the dealer as of yet but I have to say that I'm not pleased with the roughness of the engine. I have the V6 which is not a new design (has been used in the Highlander for years).

Great interior layout. AWD on demand works better than I even hoped. Pop the hatch and pull the handles to release the rear seats and you've got a ton of space to load up. Optional roof rack where I mounted my bike and ski racks is great. Handles reasonably well though you pay the price in ride quality. Gas mileage is pretty good considering AWD, 274HP, and it's a pretty big vehicle. I average 20 and get around 25+ on highway.

Heated mirrors should not be an option. This is the flagship of Toyota "cars," so don't make me get a several thousand dollar package for a minor feature that costs $10 in parts and has no real design complications. Maybe it's just my particular car, but the roughness at idle is far worse than my '91 supra. The wheels look cool and the car handles well given its ride height, but it's a fairly rough ride. Better than an Infinity FX35 but worse than a VW cc. The response time of the manual mode shifting is incredibly slow. I realize it's not a sport vehicle, but that could be tuned better.