2009 Toyota Venza Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Venza - Consumer Reviews

2009 Venza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venza model:

Sort Reviews by

Very good all-around car
By andjer200

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

In addition to being very stylish, the Venza has more than enough space for my family of 4. The fuel economy is impressive considering the size of the engine and the car. I calculate my mpg manually at each fill-up, and i normally get 21-22 mpg doing an almost even mix of city and highway. I recently drove down to Pennsylvania , a 400 mile trip one way, and i got a calculated fuel usage of 28 mpg. This was with the A/C on auto at 78 degrees, 2 adults and 2 kids, plus luggage. On the return trip i got 26 mpg because we did some city driving in NJ and NY. This is a very versatile vehicle - perfect for a small family.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy; space; car-like feel; interior and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish of interior dash; backup sensors; memory driver seat.

9-Plus Car
By skahikin

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

In 13K miles (12K in Houston commute traffic), the 4-cylinder is more than adequate and a fuel saver (27 MPG) from crawl speed to aggressive speeds (5 - 75 mph) in my 9 month ownership. Adjusting to a slower pedal response, it is quite maneuverable with good pickup. As others state, the seats are too sparse for rides above 2-3 hours. Additionally, the ride is less comfortable with Bridgestone Dueler tires. Fortunately, Toyo came out this Spring with Versado CUVs to save those of us with 19" tires with reviews that state the ride is improved with Toyos. Unfortunately, the dashboard glove compartment area is now producing an irritating rattle due either to inadequate fit or sun warping.

Favorite Features

Competent 4-cylinder engine, drivability, fuel economy, easy entry and exit, roominess, cargo space,dual air conditioning, keyless entry and starter.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the seat cushioning; change low rated Bridgestones to Toyos (for 19" tires); better fit and materials for dashboard materials.

Bad venza
By jim

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I have steering problems with 09 venza Toyota can not repair and I have been told tough! I was told to keep calling the dealer back monthly and if they eventually get the parts they will address it at that time. Toyota has cheated me just like thousands of others. Do not buy Toyota venza unless you want to get cheated.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

The factory needs to be able to repair defects at this time they do not. I have no clue when the steering will be repaired if ever. It's getting worse all the time

The Venza
By cec horlick

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall I really like this car. Its very roomy and rides fairly well. I haven't had any major problems with it in the first year of ownership. I was surprised with the amount of exterior noise from wind and engine. I have a bronze venza and it looks very nice in the sun. Good job with the color options Toyota

Favorite Features

Sunroof, style, it rides great, backup camera, nice colors, awd

Suggested Improvements

should be a much more quiet,better sound system,

New Comfort
By Driver

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my '09 Venza 6 weeks ago and have driven it 1550 miles. No trips yet but averaging 24.5 mpg. I have a light foot. My wife is trying to talk me out of it. We both love it. It's dark gray metallic and loaded. I'm a senior with back and neck issues and wanted a vehicle easy to enter and exit. This is it because of its height, and mine. I slip in and out without having to drop down or step up and don't hit my head on the way in. Perfect! The bells and whistles are great as is the leather. Others on my list were Murano, Santa Fe, Edge, GMC Terrain, and used Lexus.

Favorite Features

Overall quality and size, MPG, back-up camera, HID headlights, Blue Tooth and Navigation. JBL sound is great with CDs. Did I mention that the rear seats recline "a la Avalon"? Sweet!

Suggested Improvements

A little softer suspension, that's all.

We Love Our Venza
By John & Luanne

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is Great! Love the looks, features, ride, and versatility. We bought the V6 and love the power vs gas mileage. We averaged 22 mpg over the first 7k. The dealership has been a pleasure from the start. "Great Deal"! Very roomy and comfortable interior. The leather is a great option. We use the power tailgate much more than I imagined. Keyless option also a must, we love it! The only complaint we have is the very slow to move front power seat. I am 6', and my wife 5'. Much adjustment necessary when we switch. Memory seats would really help! We looked at other crossovers, and we still believe the Venza is without a doubt the best looking, and best value in its class.

Favorite Features

The well thought-out plan for the Venza buyer. Looks great, fun to drive, sporty, comfortable and a great value. Great job Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

Please include memory seats. It takes forever to re-adjust the front power drivers seat. A huge concern when drivers are so different in height.

Venza 2,7 L
By ABEMAN

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

We have the Venza about 6 months and now has about 6,000 miles. We got a great price at the dealership. Rare Tropical Blue color makes the car look beautiful and luxurious. Very pleased with the roominess of the interior and the back seat. The drive and handling. The car is very dependable with no problems up to the first oil change. Toyota put a lot of thought into the design. Even at a base model there a lot of features which are standard. More than enough for the casual driver. The longer, I sit in the vehicle the more uncomfortable the seat. I think in time I will put Leather Seats in this car. I plan on keeping for a long time.

Favorite Features

Many people compliment me. Thinking it looks like a Lexus SUV. Interior room, hatch, exterior styling and handling are all great. The car rides very firm and handling is crisp. The ride is overall smooth and feels safe. Cornering is very nice. I like the three button blue tooth for remotes.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not that comfortable for long periods of driving. The stereo speakers are disappointing in sound quality. My 2001 Camry has better sound quality speakers. TIRES ARE VERY Expensive and are a special order. It will cost $800 for the Four 19 inch wheels.

Dark Horse and/or Sleeping Beauty!
By annie

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Handling is great, responds well, delightful to drive country roads and highways. Long 8 hour trip, no back issues which normally can be a problem for me. Roomy and well designed interior makes everything easily reached, interior space design is roomier than one would imagine allowing for easy storage and access. Gas mileage is better than rated for which is nice surprise. I couldn't be happier with my choice..it has turned out to be MORE positive than anticipated! A real gem of a car yet to be discovered.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior; well designed inside and out; driving a REAL pleasure!

Great Car but strange Cruise Control
By First-Time Toyota Bu

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, this has been a good car. Biggest surprise (and disappointment) was that Cruise Control does not slow car down when set. It only controls speed going uphill and on flat roads. It should not be called Cruise Control, but "Up Hill Flat Road" control. Car accelerates going downhill, increase of speed contingent on slope. I took it to Dealer and they said that's the way Cruise Control works on this car. This makes Cruise Control on long trips worthless. I've previously driven German cars and never had this issue.

Favorite Features

Body style, intelligently designed cockpit.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise Control is worthless, as it doesn't slow car down when going down a gently sloping road. It only controls speed on up-hill & flat roads.

Great vehicle
By GRP

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I are seniors and find our Venza a great car/wagon/etc. It's the golden umber mica paint and we get many compliments of it's look. The drivers seat is not especially comfortable and I see in other reviews that is a common complaint. As the main driver I find it necessary to get out and stretch in an hour or two. Hard on the butt. Ours is not leather, but leather look and affords easy access and egress. Mileage - Overall since new - 27.45 MPG Best mileage -on a trip 37 mpg Worst mileage -in winter "09" 17 mpg

Favorite Features

We love the rich interior of the car and the fact that all parts fit nicely. It's a pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats more comfortable - softer.