Used 2009 Toyota Venza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Venza - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Venza

View reviews for a specific Venza model:

My grown up Toyota
By doodude

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned nothing but Toyotas- a celica, 3 supras, a Tacoma and all have treated me well. I finally decided that I wanted something that was good for longer road trips, could get me to and from ski resorts, haul bikes and sports equipment, and do it reliably. With much consideration of other vehicles, I settled on the Venza and am pleased with the decision after a year and a half of driving it. Comfortable in front or back, easy to load, fantastic in snow, and looks nice. No trips back to the dealer as of yet but I have to say that I'm not pleased with the roughness of the engine. I have the V6 which is not a new design (has been used in the Highlander for years).

Favorite Features

Great interior layout. AWD on demand works better than I even hoped. Pop the hatch and pull the handles to release the rear seats and you've got a ton of space to load up. Optional roof rack where I mounted my bike and ski racks is great. Handles reasonably well though you pay the price in ride quality. Gas mileage is pretty good considering AWD, 274HP, and it's a pretty big vehicle. I average 20 and get around 25+ on highway.

Suggested Improvements

Heated mirrors should not be an option. This is the flagship of Toyota "cars," so don't make me get a several thousand dollar package for a minor feature that costs $10 in parts and has no real design complications. Maybe it's just my particular car, but the roughness at idle is far worse than my '91 supra. The wheels look cool and the car handles well given its ride height, but it's a fairly rough ride. Better than an Infinity FX35 but worse than a VW cc. The response time of the manual mode shifting is incredibly slow. I realize it's not a sport vehicle, but that could be tuned better.

Life with a Venza
By bigeandkenna

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After just turning 29000 miles, i felt it is time to reflect. The Venza has proved to be a capable and reliable car over the last 2 1/2 years in our family. We average 20 mpg in mixed use and 26 on the highway. We have taken several trips from NJ to Fla and it is a great road trip car. It has never been back to the dealer with any problems, although there is an open recall on the "stuck fuel pedal" issue. It is easy to get in and out of and the back seat is roomy. The interior is visually appealing but a closer look reviles mismatched seams. The XM radio has poor reception and is difficult to locate stations on the run. All in all this is a typical Toyota- a point A to B appliance.

Favorite Features

Power, roominess, reliability, styling

Suggested Improvements

Numb steering, Interior quality, Excessive road noise, Sat radio reception and use, lack of remote hatch release.

Could have been great...
By heymark

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Itís a good looking car with great trunk space that's wider than many SUVs. The 6 cylinder has great acceleration and is fairly nimble when driving around town. Unfortunately, Toyota cut too many costs with this car. The plastic dash and faux wood inserts look cheap and the leather looks like shiny vinyl. The cabin is very loud at high speeds and the low profile of the 20 inch tires lets you feel every bump. Despite 13 JBL speakers, the sound is average. Nav and backup camera work fine, but the screen resolution is very low. At 30k miles, the steering column had to be replaced and at 36k miles, trans is starting to wine.

Favorite Features

Visibility, Trunk space, remote liftgate, xenon headlights. Console is nice, however iphone slot is useless. Bronze color. Stereo blue tooth

Suggested Improvements

Improve the materials used in the interior. Reduce the noise in the cabin. 20 inch tires look great, but make for an awful ride. Toyota needs to either improve the quality or lower the price.

Toyota Venva Rollover
By bluejaybird

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I were involved in a 65MPH rollover in our 2009 Venza rolled over 3 time per wittnesses i walk way with only a scratch on my elbow my wife came out only 3 stitches on her hand and bruises from the overhead airbags just wanted to say the Venza is a very safe car we ordered a new one

2009 Venza
By gowron67

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased in Nov 2009 and for the most part have loved the vechicle. AWD in the snow and ice on the city streets has been excellent. Transmission did have to be replaced at 16,000 km. Gas milage not great but expected with a V6 and AWD.

Favorite Features

like the 20`tires

Suggested Improvements

Radio and dash look and feel a little cheap. Engine is a little loud and knocky until it warms up