Used 2009 Toyota Venza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Venza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Venza model:

Disappointed first time Toyota owner
By Disappointed Owner

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I first saw the Venza I just had to have one, I really like the look of it. I've had it not quite 3 months and am very disappointed, I have loud wind noise that drives me absolutely crazy. I work around a lot of noise so when I get in I don't like to have to have the radio on, but it's the only thing that will drown out the noise. I've taken to the dealer three times and their best response is, all we can tell after driving yours and another new one on the lot, the wind noise is inherent to the Venza, to me this is unacceptable in a brand new vehicle. And here I thought I was spoiling myself by buying it. After yrs of owning a Honda, I bought this. Big message, going back to a Honda.

xm radio

definitely wind noise that is supposedly coming from the rearview mirrors (what I've been told anyways), more comfortable seating

Unexciting Niche Vehicle That Works
By MarkM.

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Traded in an 06 Subaru Outback that was a fine car, that had uncomfortable front seats for aging baby boomer backs. Researched crossovers for 4 months (Q5, CX9, Equinox, 2010 Outback, RX350, Santa Fe, Acadia, Highlander). Found the Venza to be the best overall choice for seat comfort, V6 response/MPG, cargo space, value, and Toyota reliability. Have driven about 700 mi. So far-have gotten what I thought-[A Crossover Compromise] of Comfy seats, vague "Bouncy" steering feel, rough ride over bumps thanks to the (no choice) 20" wheels, 24.6 average combined MPG, smooth V6 powertrain, useless small display backup camera with no NAV, and average interior material quality with inferior dash construction.

Unusual Golden Umber color. Once adjusted correctly-leather seat comfort is excellent, Homelink, JBL Audio, Bluetooth, and Convenience pkg. are nice. Center console layout and cargo capacities are very usable. Toyota/Lexus reliability for a fair TMV price compared to other similar crossovers.

Steering feel is like a 10 year old GM cruiser, offer 18" wheels for better ride and lower replacement cost. Upgrade dash with better quality materials and less seams. Update Bluetooth to at least V2.0, and offer some blindside side mirror warning/assist with turn light indication.

Bad Steering
By Andy

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Pulls left or right when using brakes. Service Department says this is normal. They say they can't find anything wrong so they say this is normal.

I'm loving it!
By Steven M

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This is a car for anyone who wants a good dose of comfort, economy, and performance. The I4 moves it with authority. The amenities and quality are impressive. Reliability is an unknown for me as this is my first Toyota, but Toyota has a reputation for reliability.

Navigation, XM Radio, Keyless entry.

The window buttons on the driver door are placed too far forward. I get the rear window buttons when I am reaching for the front window buttons.

Yes and No to a decent "car"
By wld8hrt

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After only a couple of days the brakes started to squeak. The dealer replaced the brakes today so we'll see. The interior is very nice and well laid out (certainly one of Toyota's better looks). The exterior... boring, unoriginal but not bad. Rides a little rougher than it should. Not been able to get avg MPG past 19.3 but working on it. Climate control works well and I love the push to start button. Overall power is not bad and the brakes are very responsive. The rear door seems to be very picky as to when it wants to open for you but that is probably just a learning curve. No USB???? Annoying oversite! Bluetooth streaming works well but often needs resetting. Cruise buttons hard to find, see.

Interior design, amount of interior room, climate control, push button start with touch control door handles, braking, well designed moonroof. Fairly comfortable. Non-rollback on hills feature. Center console storage. Good amount of power. Nice looking but not spectacular.

Noise! Wind noise is very annoying and even causes a whistling on the freeway! Stereo could use subwoofer. USB! USB! Side proximity sensors. Better steering wheel stereo controls. Cruise control placement. Auto high-beams often seem confused. A more exciting driving experience. A more original look.