Toyota has ruined the Tundra
By mrt19 on
2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
Toyota has completely changed the engine mapping for this truck and added an electronic throttle limiter so everything that was right about the 2007-2013 5.7 engine is now gone. That beloved power is no more. It is sluggish, slow, shift points are erratic and all over the place. I also now get 11mpg. I just got back from the Toyota dealer because I thought something was wrong with it. After a ride with a Toyota Master Technician he confirmed that was what it was supposed to be like. He also agreed with me that they have ruined this truck.
Favorite Features
Exterior and interior upgrades are amazing.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the engine mapping and bring back the power! I thought I would be getting the same 5.7 engine as previous years, but now basically have an anemic V6 with the gas mileage of a V10. Way to go Toyota! You have completely ruined this magnificent truck.
By ckwwilson
on 12/31/13 18:45 PM (PST)

Did you not test drive yours before you bought it? I'm not sure what's wrong with yours, but the power in mine is great! It shifts smoothly and drives exactly like I tell it to. Around town in cruises smoothly with very controlled acceleration, but when I punch the pedal, it goes! I feel every one of the 381hp. I will agree with you on the mileage though, I get about 14 freeway and 12 city so far with over 1500 miles on the odometer.

By pozzi
on 05/26/14 13:57 PM (PDT)

I have found similar results on the 2014 Tundra. My 08 was much more responsive.. What I found is if you put it in tow mode the responsiveness is back with that mapping... I plan on an exhaust upgrade so it sounds like a truck, not a Prius... All in all, best truck i have ever owned.

By ckwwilson
on 06/14/14 16:47 PM (PDT)

I seem to have no problem with acceleration, in fact the factory rates it at a 5.6 second 0-60. I haven't timed it officially but I'm certainly close to that when I drop the pedal on a freeway on ramp. Just an update on my fuel economy. It took almost 12,000 miles, but I finally hit the 17 mpg highway mark. I'm now at just over 16,000 and have gotten stunningly good mileage on a few road trips as high as 19.3 mpg highway! She really seems to get a mileage boost when I use Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant as a fuel system cleaner each time the oil is changed.