2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

This is what American (Texas built) quality is all about
By harddriver1965

2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Cab SR5 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Details: 5.7L, CrewMax, TRD Purchased 3/2014 Mileage: 16000 Best way to describe this truck is a 3/4 ton in a 1/2 ton package. It has all the capability of any gas 1/2 ton on the market with the added reliability of Toyota and proud Texans to stand behind it(Built in San Antonio, TX).

Favorite Features

Drivetrain: I routinely pull more than the truck is rated for (11K-13K loads). It takes the punishment in stride and begs for more. The engine / rear end combination are perfect. Lots of power, never feel like the truck is struggling to find gears or is overworking.

Suggested Improvements

None. My biggest complaint about the older Tundras is the styling. I like the new boxier styling. The interior design is outstanding. Everything in reach and easy to use.

Best Truck Yet
By brett42

2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Cab SR5 FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I love this truck. It pull like crazy, handles my trailer plus a load without any hesitation over Colorado passes to boot. It's the most comfortable truck I have ever owned..had Fords since I could drive..40 years! The 4.3 rear end is the best and while a little better fuel economy would be nice, by far I prefer the power. All my Fords except my 68 with a 390 cid were under powered. This thing loves to tow. The room in the bed is excellent and the way the seats fold up in the back for more room is brilliant. Some reviewers whine about no brake controller..I say get over it. I like the one I got to choose by myself. The install took 10 minutes..big deal!! I love this truck and won't go back.

Favorite Features

Towing is great, used hunting..awesome drive in very rough areas. Steering is very stable and has direct feel. Braking is great and ride comfort is the best for long hauls. Instrumentation is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted window and lock buttons. Automatic headlights.paint that stands up to minor scratches better.

Best full-size truck on the market.
By btinaz

2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Cab SR5 FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The 5.7 v8 s a great motor. On paper it gets an mpg or two less that Ford & Chevy (forget Ram...it's a Fiat now) but with the cost of a similar setup (crewcab, 4x4 and most powerful motor) the cost of the Tundra was several thousand less than the others so you still end up paying less when calculating all of this in. The truck has great power at any speed-destroys Ford/Chevy in passing. I have about 15k miles on it now and have had zero problems unlike what is reported from Ford, GM & Fiat owners. Test drive this truck before making a decision to purchase the others - you won't be disappointed. And to put a final shine on it the truck is build in TX without the UAW shtank wafting from it.

Favorite Features

The 5.7 v8 is awesome. The 4x4 is flawless and the Bilsteins/TRD setup make off-roading fun as the truck is easy to control. All buttons, switches and levers are built solid. Seats are very comfortable and the backseat in the CrewMax is like a couch. Only complaint for the interior is limited storage space under the back seat. Fit and finish is unmatched in the segment. The exterior design is much better looking than the old fogey F150 or the floating-on-wheels look of the Silverado. Ram looks good but IMO the 2014 Tundra is better. Plus...as I mentioned Ram is a Fiat so...yeah...no thanks.

Suggested Improvements

The Nav option needs to have routine free map updates rather than having to purchase them. Toyota might want to look into upgrading the 5.7 to add even more power and MPGs though if the trade-off is less reliability forget it. Toyota also needs to develop a supercharger for the FFV 5.7v8 that will not void the warranty. They would make a ton of $$$ and the truck would become even more BA! For MPG stats here's what I get in mixed driving: Using a light right foot 15.5-16.5, using a mix of light and standing-on-it now & then I get 14.5-15.5 and standing on it most of the time I get about 13.5-14.5.

Like the Tundra
By bretn

2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Cab Limited FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Overall I like the Tundra, have a 6"lift on it and it looks nice. The turning radius is not quite what I would like it to be. Like someone else said, the carpet is a little thin, which means it will wear fast, if you don't put some liners in. The back seat is the roomiest I have ever seen (the kids like it better). We have had other Toyota's and have been pleased with the overall satisfaction. The stereo could be a little better, I like my music loud and its not loud enough, though the sound is good. Power booster maybe?

Favorite Features

The hands free in the truck are nice, I own a small business and I run around on the phone all day. The appearance is much better this year.

Suggested Improvements

The rear differential still needs to be beefed up a little more. Would like them to make an improvement on the gas mileage.

Too much missing
By customsmn

2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Cab 1794 FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

2014 Tundra 1794 edition. The more I drive it the more disappointment in what is missing from Toyota's highest line truck. Since new design for 2014 I expected more than what you get. No push button start as on most toyotas, keyfob not linked to memory seats, no lane change turn signals, no trailer brake controller, you can add aftermarket, just looks like an add on, only two door switches are lit, not even memory switches lit, no power lock on tailgate, no default for in call volume on bluetooth phone and even when on MAX setting not great, no rain sensing wipers, slow GPS nav. LED lights front not back,Good truck but could use some updated equipment.

Favorite Features

Roomy back seat, full open back window.

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy, LED lighting throughout, trailer brake controller, lighting of all switches and ambient lights, turn signal lane change, push button start, memory items linked to key fob, power locking tailgate, heated steering, 110v outlet, more usb ports, rain sensing wipers, tray for center console, skid plates standard on this model, larger fuel tank, standard remote start, power adjustable pedals, laser cruise and collision warning,