Used 2014 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

excellent lease value
By Steve Trychon

2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Great value all around Im going on 3rd lease

Not at the mechanic shop anymore
By Kyle

2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is the best truck. I've had fords Chevy and dodges and they all stink compared to this truck. Only negatives to this truck is gas mileage and the seats stain easy if you don't have leather. The gas mileage cost is made up through not having to pay the mechanic for repairs

Wishing I had my 07 Int.Tundra Storage in this 14!
By Michelle Massa

2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

What the hell were the Tundra engineers thinking when they designed the 2014 as compared to the 2007, which had stellar, sneaky, snappy little storage compartments all over the place!?!? They took just about all of handy storage compartments out of the 2014, and added one giant, cavernous (not so useful) one to center console, and I am on the fence about going back to an older model after just spending $35K! I miss some of the old features that much. I was on the fence about the reviews for things like interior design and performance, because in all honesty, I've only owned the 2014 for a few months - I bought it used with very low miles from a dealer. I had my 2007 for almost 9 years since new and had such good luck with the mechanicals on that truck, that I wanted another one just like it - the same color - but with more bells and whistles compared to my basic 07 double cab 5.7L which was getting up there in miles - 170K.

I love that the new truck has some spruced up exterior bling with the grill redesign, and I'm told that they made some updates under the hood, but not a lot. Aesthetically it looks just as sharp as my 07 and even better , and the heated leather seats are just awesome, living in Vermont as I do. The climate control is much improved, and there are so many technical additions like bluetooth and navigation system that it's like I was living in the dark ages until I got this new rig.

HOWEVER, as I get to know this truck, I find myself cursing the design engineers at Toyota on a daily basis. I've counted about 7 storage spaces that have disappeared from my beloved 07 design - the change drawer in the drivers door, the extra storage compartment in the front dashboard area on passenger's side, the pockets on the back of the front seats, the storage pods on the sides of the rear doors, the ashtray had some uses even though I didn't smoke - it held my nav device, which I will still use because the new one is sort of useless for many things that my Garmin Nuvi does effortlessly. What else - oh, the handle hoist-me-up bar on the drivers side - all other passenger seats in the 14 have a handle bar to hold on to - what about the driver's side, where perhaps the driver is only 5'5" and needs to hurl herself up to the seat, as she had for 9 years in her 07? No go, and Toyota dealer won't even install one because they said it interferes with the side bag safety system. I read on Tundratalk that it can be done, but why the heck did they make it go away in the first place??? I am so mad at them over that missing handle bar.

The new truck is very comfortable, some of that is that it's a Limited model compared to my older 07 which was just more basic. I get the fancy opening rear window and tinted glass, it's a sharp truck and I love looking at it. But practically speaking for storage inside the cab? It's much worse than the 07. However, on the 2015 and 2016s, I saw that the back seat had a plastic storage compartment that lived permanently under the rear seats - I did NOT want that, so I intentionally looked for the newest model without that storage compartment since it doesn't fit my needs, and that was the 14. Another gripe is that the gas mileages actually went DOWN in the 14 - c'mon Toyota, you can do better than that!!! You are going backwards. It's the same engine I had in my 07, why did you lose mileage? Mine usually is in the 14.5 mpg anyway, regardless of where I'm driving or what speed. When I put on my truck camper, it will probably go down to 10, but at least I'll be comfortable!

More options would be nice
By Jay Marean

2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Great truck, will do anything you ask especially off-road and towing. Toyota needs to offer some more features on higher end models such as a heated steering wheel, adjustable pedals and adaptive cruise. Also I wish Toyota would add some different axle ratios such as a 3.55 or a 3.31 to give the customer the ability to get better gas mileage while sacrificing some towing ability that he/she would never need. Overall great truck and value with Toyota's legendary reliability and dependability as well as resale especially for the price compared to other manufacturers like Ford, for example a fully loaded platinum Tundra is about 52,000 and a fully loaded platinum f-150 is about 63,000 so great value for price. Overall Toyota is a innovative manufacturer that should step up their game a little and more options for the consumer.

gives up out of the box
By greg ice

2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

had a 2007 crew max / brand new my best truck EVER {RED}(I LOVE)
2/2015 new 4runner hits me stopped vs 65mph
new tundra 2015
had a sr5 got a sr5
had tow pkg /na
had red / na
back seats folded down (I could stack material into the cab with the window down) / seats fold up and back of rear seat sits 3 inches above window so [non-permissible content removed] rests on the seat or not at all
had a gas gauge (350 miles) / miles to empty 320
24 gls max ever / 20.10 max ever fill ups?
its a 26.7 gal tank
hiding 6 gals?
dual climate cup holders overhead storage all gone
because they want to be like a ford they want the ford shoppers and now I want a ford go figure
oh when it rains that [non-permissible content removed] fake scoop in the hood
makes a puddle??