Toyota trouble Flex fuel issues
By pvtcable on
2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
Buyer beware of flex fuel problems. 2012 In temps of 50 degrees or less it fails to start about every 7-8 fill ups. Requires service each time to fix. No fix yet. Go to the lemon law. Its the Only way to get anything done. To avoid the problem just don't run less than a quarter tank of gas, never run less than 5 minutes, use only flex fuel( if u can find it), move to a warmer climate. Seriously! No joke! $50k truck. 9 months of problems,no help from Toyota. Once you sign your name your stuck on a long rough, frustrating, costly, ride. Thanks Toyota for not standing behind your product. You should stop selling them until you have the problems fixed or at least tell the customer .
Favorite Features
Other than the starting problems this truck is overall a great truck. I would want the same truck if the flex fuel problem was fixed. It out performs anything else I've ever had. Too bad it doesn't start sometimes.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the problem with the flex fuel system. Tell customers before they buy if you don't have the fix yet. You would think this would go without saying but apparently not with Toyota.
By junktruck97
on 05/01/13 08:55 AM (PDT)

i have 2011 tundra i bought new,it has alignment issues,pulls hard to right,to get it fixed i had to call california main office,then southeast toyota in my state ,then file lemon law,toyota will say its performing as it should,that being said it wont get fixed,buying new does not give you rights to get it fixed,it gives you rights to file, in my case the problem still exist, to my credit ,im a previous owner of a 07tundra with power brake booster failure,no towing, front end alignment issues,transmission banging,(part of two piece driveshaft hitting floor when braking) and a 2011has no straight line stability (alignment issues) ,not resolved after 16 alignment,from tires excessive wear on outter sides,driveshaft recall due to vibration, excessive high rev cold start idle. buy one maybe you might get a good one

By kdatl
on 02/11/14 05:32 AM (PST)

I have the exact same issue (listed above regarding the fuel system) with my 2012 Sequoia with the FFV engine; rough cold starts with blue smoke and horrible timing issues (mostly between 1700 and 200 RPM or heavy acceleration). I have 52,000 miles and have taken it to the shop at least 6 different times for a diagnosis and fix. Basically the mechanics are telling me that it is my imagination. It is really aggravating. After reading everyone's issues and complaints; I am now more convinced that Toyota is fully aware of the problem but is organizing an effort to suppress the problem. I did buy the extended warranty to 100,000 miles. What are my options to get this fixed? Can I replace the engine with the non-FFV version???

By tcrowder1209
on 03/17/14 08:39 AM (PDT)

Buyer beware of flex fuel problems. 2012 In temps of 50 degrees or less it fails to start about every 7-8 fill ups. Requires service each time to fix. No fix yet. Go to the lemon law. Its the Only way to get anything done. To avoid the problem just don't run less than a quarter tank of gas, never run less than 5 minutes, use only flex fuel( if u can find it), move to a warmer climate. Seriously! No joke! $50k truck. 9 months of problems,no help from Toyota. Once you sign your name your stuck on a long rough, frustrating, costly, ride. Thanks Toyota for not standing behind your product. You should stop selling them until you have the fixed or at least tell the customer ---------------this is happening to me..... I have contacted a Lemon Law Lawyer-----SIMPLY RIDICULOUS!