2012 Toyota Tundra Consumer Review: Almost Perfect

2012 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Review

Limited Double Cab (5.7L V8 4x4 6-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed)

Almost Perfect
By buzzkiller on

2012 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have had a 4X4, 17" wheel for six-months now. One must understand Toyota's list of options doesn't mean that they're really available. Toyota installs options based on info they received from previous year's customers. They also put the premium options only on the most expensive model. (Moonroof, full-size opening rear window are on Quad only.) There was only one Tundra with the options I wanted on the West Coast and it came with options I didn't want. Gas mileage is 14.6 to 14.7. Doesn't matter if I'm on the flat interstate, a Sierra dirt road, or city streets. I am 55 and keep vehicles for twenty years. With that in mind, my biggest regret is the crappy interior materials - I get to watch what is now crappy get even worse as time goes on. Other than that, and the freeway beatings, I love the truck and look forward to using it to its fullest towing a rolling mansion when I retire.

Kick ass acceleration; nav system; rear view camera; sonar; electric retracting mirrors; craftsmanship; power assist tailgate; stupid TRD stickers can be peeled off with your fingernail; deck rail system; split fold up rear seat. On the Grapevine, the truck takes off and holds steady at 70 mph. No gear searching and plenty of power to spare. Driving windy roads in the Sierra is effortless and enjoyable. Off road, the truck is a winner since the suspension is designed for it. Been on some serious 4X4 trails and the truck climbed up and over everything. (The camera is great for backing up off road.) I haven't towed with it.

Needs a little more range in the gas pedal to prevent rabbit starts; antenna waves in the wind; cheap, cheap interior materials (my '04 Sienna has far better interior); space underneath larger fold up seat is taken up by a box of electronics; no grocery bag hooks; for such a large center console, there's a limited amount of space to put items in reach of the driver. The issue is on concrete freeways where bad slab joints can beat you to death. My wife and I literally couldn't speak on a section of highway because the bouncing was pounding us so hard. On asphalt or smooth concrete the truck is just fine. (The bouncing is far worse than my F150 and might be the Tundra's off road package.)