Used 2012 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Ok truck
By R Barker

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra FFV 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Over all a good truck. Only problem I have had with it is a alcohol sensor in the fuel system. If truck sets in real cold weather for a few days thes sensor thinks it's running flex fuel ( so the tech told me). Then it's hard to start but runs fine after it does start. When this happens it's a trip to dealership, hooked up to computer and sensor reset. Warranty does not cover it.

Rough and Noisy
By LB

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Not sure if its the off road package and tires, but this is the noisiest truck I have ever owned (at least 10).
Turning radius is poor. Poor visibility when backing up.
Radio is not speed sensitive and due to road noise have to constantly adult volume.
Specifically purchased a Toyota because of ratings and USA mfg. Next truck will be a GM or Ford product.

Milage (~20mpg mixed) and blue tooth are great

Nice But Bouncy
By Chuck

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love it, but it has some challenges. I bought used but got a great price and great deal. No complaints. Interior is super comfortable and bigger than expected. I'm 5'8" so getting up into it was a challenge until I added Westin side steps. Power is incredible. Set up nicely to tow, but is limited to about 6700 lbs. I use it to haul my motorcycle and enclosed trailer, does fine at their combined weight, Like the hook up for brake lights to the trailer with options on types of plugs. I just notice on the road it sucks gas and seems to bounce along when not towing--maybe it needs a significant payload to smooth it out on the road. Mine has a rail system and bed carpet type thing, but I added a three piece tonneau of hard shell plastic like stuff, and covers it nicely. May also add an OEM bedliner....Anyway, this sucker has new aggressive tires on the 18 inch wheels, and I'm looking forward to winter this year....UPDATE--March, 2016-- Did great in the snow! 33 inches in snowfall and this beast just rolled on out and through in 4x4. Payload in the back leveled it out and helped with traction. I added a backup camera and proximity sensors on the back, so even better now backing and parking. Nice truck.

Toyota prefers you get in an accident vs avoiding!
By Jeff Lorenson

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I was driving down the left lane of a 4 lane road and made a quick lane change to the right lane to avoid a car making a left hand turn that stopped abruptly. A mile down the road my power steering went out. I took it in to a dealer to figure out what the problem is and it was the power steering gear. The cost of $3000 to fix from a part with a defect. I called Toyota to see if they could help or do something with the cost of fixing it being their part failed while avoiding an accident. They said there is nothing that they were willing to do because it was past 36,000 or 3 year warranty on a 2012 Toyota Tundra that has 57,000 miles on it. If i had gotten in the accident, it would have cost me $1000 to fix my pickup instead it costs me $3000 to avoid an accident. Toyota as a company seems to think that is the right thing to do. They basically are making it that it would have saved me money to get in a potentially fatal accident versus avoiding it and there part flawed part breaking and them backing up their product. The reason why I think the part was/is flawed is that the dealer nor any of the other service garages that I called have ever heard of this happening before! Great job Toyota of standing behind your product and making it cheaper for someone to get in an accident instead of standing behind your product!!

Better Than Average
By jmlabs

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Prior to purchasing 2012 Tundra 5.7L LB, I did extensive research on Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. I felt like the U.S. mfg trucks used excessively thin sheet metal and were about $10K - $15K overpriced and in my opinion that was due to unions. I found thin sheet metal in the Tundra too, but I wasn't paying a union add-on for the Toyota. What sold me on the Tundra is the large pinion gear, quality wrapped wire bundles in the engine bay, the quality interior, and transmission cooler. I've owned the truck for 2 years 7 months now and have had no problems at all. The body style is attractive - I prefer it over the new 2015 body style. I'd repurchase a Tundra mfg prior to the new body style.

The 0w-20 petroleum based oil is a pain to locate - thus you have to purchase high cost synthetic. This may not be a downer for some. The stock tires were terrible quality and had to be replaced within 10K miles. The bed sheet metal is thin and if you accidentally step on the wheel wells you will dent them in with just your weight (160LBS). I noticed that the black paint on the frame and other underneath components is starting to rust through. I have an older 2000 Honda Accord and it shows no rust. In my opinion, the paint should have lasted longer. I'm currently looking for an auto body shop to do undercarriage coating.