Used 2012 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Toyota prefers you get in an accident vs avoiding!
By Jeff Lorenson

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I was driving down the left lane of a 4 lane road and made a quick lane change to the right lane to avoid a car making a left hand turn that stopped abruptly. A mile down the road my power steering went out. I took it in to a dealer to figure out what the problem is and it was the power steering gear. The cost of $3000 to fix from a part with a defect. I called Toyota to see if they could help or do something with the cost of fixing it being their part failed while avoiding an accident. They said there is nothing that they were willing to do because it was past 36,000 or 3 year warranty on a 2012 Toyota Tundra that has 57,000 miles on it. If i had gotten in the accident, it would have cost me $1000 to fix my pickup instead it costs me $3000 to avoid an accident. Toyota as a company seems to think that is the right thing to do. They basically are making it that it would have saved me money to get in a potentially fatal accident versus avoiding it and there part flawed part breaking and them backing up their product. The reason why I think the part was/is flawed is that the dealer nor any of the other service garages that I called have ever heard of this happening before! Great job Toyota of standing behind your product and making it cheaper for someone to get in an accident instead of standing behind your product!!

Better Than Average
By jmlabs

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Prior to purchasing 2012 Tundra 5.7L LB, I did extensive research on Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. I felt like the U.S. mfg trucks used excessively thin sheet metal and were about $10K - $15K overpriced and in my opinion that was due to unions. I found thin sheet metal in the Tundra too, but I wasn't paying a union add-on for the Toyota. What sold me on the Tundra is the large pinion gear, quality wrapped wire bundles in the engine bay, the quality interior, and transmission cooler. I've owned the truck for 2 years 7 months now and have had no problems at all. The body style is attractive - I prefer it over the new 2015 body style. I'd repurchase a Tundra mfg prior to the new body style.

The 0w-20 petroleum based oil is a pain to locate - thus you have to purchase high cost synthetic. This may not be a downer for some. The stock tires were terrible quality and had to be replaced within 10K miles. The bed sheet metal is thin and if you accidentally step on the wheel wells you will dent them in with just your weight (160LBS). I noticed that the black paint on the frame and other underneath components is starting to rust through. I have an older 2000 Honda Accord and it shows no rust. In my opinion, the paint should have lasted longer. I'm currently looking for an auto body shop to do undercarriage coating.

Toyota trouble Flex fuel issues
By pvtcable

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Buyer beware of flex fuel problems. 2012 In temps of 50 degrees or less it fails to start about every 7-8 fill ups. Requires service each time to fix. No fix yet. Go to the lemon law. Its the Only way to get anything done. To avoid the problem just don't run less than a quarter tank of gas, never run less than 5 minutes, use only flex fuel( if u can find it), move to a warmer climate. Seriously! No joke! $50k truck. 9 months of problems,no help from Toyota. Once you sign your name your stuck on a long rough, frustrating, costly, ride. Thanks Toyota for not standing behind your product. You should stop selling them until you have the problems fixed or at least tell the customer .

Other than the starting problems this truck is overall a great truck. I would want the same truck if the flex fuel problem was fixed. It out performs anything else I've ever had. Too bad it doesn't start sometimes.

Fix the problem with the flex fuel system. Tell customers before they buy if you don't have the fix yet. You would think this would go without saying but apparently not with Toyota.

Great Truck
By voiceover

2012 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is my third Toyota truck and is by far the best. I looked (briefly) at others when it was time to trade and I easily came home to Toyota. This truck has it all - capacity, comfort, durability and great looks. The 5.7L V-8 offers plenty of power for even the most demanding of tasks. Plenty of room in the front, back and the bed. Leather interior is top-notch. Navigation w/ JBL sound system is superior to others I have owned including Bose. We often take the truck to our vacation home and find the ride pleasant and relaxing. Lots of storage space to keep things organized. If you are looking for a full-sized pickup truck, give the Tundra a close look. You won't be disappointed.

Leather interior, plentiful room everywhere, powerful engine, smooth ride, easy access to everything, aggressive styling.

Mileage needs significant improvement, bed liner is old school - needs composite, 110v. outlet in the bed as the Tacoma, navigation screen could be closer to the driver

So Far So Good
By thebigv21

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Truck now has 11K miles. Had first synthetic oil change at 10K. Averaging 15.2 mpg in combined driving. Truck runs great and has similar MPG as tacomas I have owned in the past. The horsepower and torque on this truck is something else. I see negative reviews on here and I can't understand why. The performance is what impresses me the most. I am 6'4" and have plenty of room. Kids can sit in the back without any problem whatsoever. This is a real truck, not meant for anyone who wants a car..

Horsepower, torque. Haven't had any problems within first 11 K miles.

Put better factory tires on it. At last check I had 50% tires remaining. All manufacturers put cheap soft tires on new vehicles. Get 15K out of them people say that is good. I think it is ridiculous considering how much dough we shell out. I put average under value because when you drive it off the lot you really get pounded. 39 sticker and auction price is only 27 now.