2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 4x4 6-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed Consumer Review - '11 DC Rock Warrior

2011 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Review

'11 DC Rock Warrior
By mason467 on

2011 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought brand new about a year ago to replace '05 GMC 1500 which we use to tow our 30 foot camper. The GMC was a little on the light side...great truck but we needed more. Test drove '11 crew cab f150 xlt first. Nice truck, but both my wife and I agreed that this was just not the truck for us. Next, we drove an '11 Tundra with Rock Warrior package. Unlike the F150 this truck comes with load range "E" tires, perfect for towing. Also, the suspension is nice and firm. Power is exceptional while towing our camper. Stability is also excellent. The transmission always seems to be in the right gear, and it gets anywhere from 8.5-11 MPG pulling out 7500 lbs brick of a camper.

Favorite Features

Love the rugged simplicity of the Rock Warrior. Has everything you need including bluetooth, xm, hand free ect. Sometimes we listen to xm or we stream pandora via bluetooth. Heated windshield/mirrors, mud flaps (not standard on other trucks!), rear view camera. Manual seats and rear window mean less things to break in the long run. Powertrain on this truck is really beefy for a 1500 class vehicle. Suspension is a bit firmer than most, but it appears this truck was designed more for towing/hauling than for comfort.......less compromise.......fine by me

Suggested Improvements

Gauges are weird. I give the nod to the new Ford and Dodge offerings for their displays. However, everything works fine and you do get used to it. I wish they offered a versior with heavier duty suspension to go along with the beef the powertrain has. I'm sure the take rate would be small, but I see lots of Tundra's running around with air bags helping the rear suspension......