Used 2011 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Bad ASS Truck.,Big ,Black ,and Damn Hard to Beat!!
By Ronnie L. Cummins

2011 Toyota Tundra Tundra FFV 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Like the Truck unhappy with Toyota & their platinum!
By barby52

2011 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The truck has been great, one our 3rd one, plus had a Rav 4. However, now that we need help Toyota & the dealer (Toyota of Vero Beach) threw us to the curb. Said we got contaminated fuel, so our platinum policy that cost us $2160, won't cover anything, even towing! We are up to $2000 and they are not done yet. They have had the truck for 4 days and now it's the weekend. What a joke! Drove the truck for a couple of days with no problem, then all of a sudden it just died! Hard to believe that after 200 miles of driving all of a sudden contaminated fuel kicks in. Quite sure they figure they found a sucker when 2 retired people showed up!!

Review from an actual owner at 25k miles
By hdsale

2011 Toyota Tundra Tundra FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Ive owned a 2011 5.7 CrewMax TRD Off-Road Tundra for 2 years. Previous trucks were GM. All trucks have their issues, the Tundra less so than previous GM trucks - at least for me. 5.7 is a super strong engine that competition cant match. Feels and drives like a 3/4 ton truck, and tows like one too. High seating position reminds me of an F250 or 2500 GM. Driving the new F150 feels like driving a car after owning the Tundra. Mileage is 15.5 in mixed driving. Short bed on CrewMax means truck can fit in a 20 foot garage (but not by much).
No alignment issues here - in fact, I wont let the dealer align the truck as it drives straight as an arrow.

Tundra is the most American made truck out there. Feels and drives like a 3/4 ton truck, which to me is a good thing. 4x4 unstoppable off road and in snow. Super bright adjustable headlights are the best on any truck I've ever owned. Tundra is super comfortable - I am tall (6'3) and my knees don't hit the console or door. No issues with shimmy or swerve when under load or towing. Traction control is awesome on this truck and better than competition by a long shot. Family loves space in back seat.

Warranty is too short - how can GM offer 5/100k and Toyota offer 3/36k? Air conditioner went out at 25k, hairline crack in compressor, replaced under warranty without issue. Gas tank is too small at 26 gallons, reads 0 miles left at 22 gallons - liked GM 32 gallon tank. GM rode smoother. Towing MPG 8-11. Interior is not great, but not as bad as others in its class (except RAM). Fan for HVAC is not as strong as GM.

Best vehicle I have owned
By formergmcguy

2011 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck new and at 13,000 miles, I have not had one single thing not function the way it is supposed.
My previous 2 vehicles were GMCs and I had nothing but problems with them and GM doesn't stand behind their products.

I get about 19 mpg in mixed driving.
Winter
mileage drops to around 15.
This truck tows trailers with ease---don't even know they are there.
Feels safer than the GMC Sierra.
I'm very impressed with it's build quality.
Very quiet.
Handles extremely well for a large vehicle.
The TRD package gives a stiff ride but is good when loaded or has a trailer in tow.
Love the crewmax cab setup.

I have the crewmax model and there is tons of room behind rear seat when it is all the way forward and still more than enough legroom. Engine is very smooth. Brakes are excellent. At first, I didn't like the traction control (winter snow driving) but over time I have decided I like it better than the mechanical kind I was used to in the GMC. Although my truck is 4x4, I find that it handles quite well in 4x2 mode on slippery roads. Dampening tailgate works great! Bluetooth is great. Turning circle is awesome for such a big vehicle. Very little road noise. Love driving it.

Wish that it had factory installed door side moldings. The 5.5 foot bed is adequate but a 6 or 6.5 bed would be better.

Bad tires
By gobucks4

2011 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought in November 2010, heater did not work, 6 days to repair.

January 2011, 2 months old, back bumper was covered with rust, replaced.

Tires are flat spotting in 24 hours, Toyota considers this a normal condition as designed. The truck shimmies severely for the first five miles.
No Toyota exec would drive this truck on ice with this shimmy.

Very comfortable, drives great once the tires get warm.

Better tires.