Dissapointed
By stovester on
2010 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)
First Toyota I have ever bought always owned "American" trucks but thought I'd give Toyota shot since they (used) to have a great rep. Lack of power off the line and have had several instances where it just won't GO! Even with the pedal to the floor. I was told by dealership that's how they are and if there is no check engine light then nothings wrong. Finally after having the recall performed the check engine light came on and turned out the emissions valve was bad. 2 days to replaced that (no loaner vehicle provided) and still having problems. Even more prominent with the AC on, loses power bid time. Last Toyota I will buy, not impressed at all.
Favorite Features
Body style
Suggested Improvements
Can't see radio display when the sun is out. Had to remove backseat headrest to see out rear window. Too much plastic! And finally figure out what is wrong with your trucks or stop making them
By rdstundra
on 05/23/11 05:30 AM (PDT)

Really hope you read this comment, I had the same problem and it took months to figure out but I had a great dealership to work with. The problem is electronic and it just takes a flash upgrade. This is a problem on only a few of the 4.6L and is caused by the knock sensor telling the engine to retard the timing incorrectly during take off. I had a ride along by a factory rep where we did starts and stops for over an hour and then he took the data back to the toyota software engineers and had them work thier magic which took several month and in the end the truck ran like new. The problem all started with the new gas pedal recall issue, ran great prior to that then it would only randomly accelerate off the line and would leave me begging for it to go. This was especially bothersome in traffic, or when making a left turn. 3-4 seconds for the truck to decide to accelerate when going across three lanes of traffic can get down right scarey. Good news is there is a cure and your dealer needs to listen to your troubles make them ride with you when it happens, be insistant. My dealer didn't believe me until I took the service manager for a ride, and then let him drive. One left turn with traffic headed his way and the truck being not sure if it wanted to go convinced him it was not doing what it should. The paniced look in his eye and his foot trying to push through the floor was the most convincing part. I truely loved hearing him say, "Uhhhh, that's not supposed to happen."