2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Review: First Toyota

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Review

First Toyota
By William on

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Drove Silverados for ten years. Last new was a 1998 with 128,000 plus miles combination city and highway. Was in excellent shape when I gave it to my daughter and bought the Double Cab SR5 with big V8. Tundra handled a lot tighter than Ford or Chevrolet with less effort. Ride is smooth on and off road. Comfortable in front seats and back according to my 6'4" son-in law. Still in break in period with 1500 miles on it. Driving 70 to 75 MPH with air conditioner on and cruise set I average 19.8 MPG highway and city is 15.3 with air conditioner on. I do avoid stop and go traffic as much as possible which has helped the gas mileage a lot. Better gas mileage than my 1998 Silverado.

Handling, stopping ability, ride. Plenty of room for cargo in standard bed. I did put a Tonneau cover on which also improved the gas mileage by at least 3 to 4 miles per gallon highway and city. Overall styling. Several people committed on how they liked the style.

Place radio and cruise controls on steering wheel. These controls are too far from driver. Cruise control is awkward to set. Needs to be more heads up displays as in aircraft. Little less plastic in the interior would be nice but weight to fuel burn ratio is why plastic is being used so I accept this.