Another Great American Made Toyota
By J. Jones on
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
After waiting for two years to purchase a 2nd Gen Tundra, I finally got a good deal in 12/08 on a TRD/4X4/Dbl Cab, when gas climbed to $4.00 a gallon. It was well worth the wait. I have not driven the truck that much, and just went through the first tank of gas. I was blown away when my calculations showed 21.7 mpg in combo city/highway driving (my 04 Camry gets 28 mpg). The Tundra has tons of power, space, and is a delight to drive. If you want to buy American, buy a Tundra, because it is made here in the USA by Americans in the Great State of Texas.
Favorite Features
The 5.7 V8 is a great performer, revs easy, just tons of power for a truck. Drivability is superb, although the ride is truck like with the TRD package and Blisten Shocks. I like the dampened tailgate, it helps that if you have your hands full, you don't have to worry about the gate slamming down.
Suggested Improvements
The gauge display. I just don't like the orange display because it is difficult for me to see during the day. The technology is out there to allow for an infinite selection of the display color. Toyota should at least offer it as an option. The optional tailgate step should come standard too.