Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Not what I hoped for
By dan b.

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've heard a lot about the fabled design and quality manufacturing of Toyota vehicles so I hoped for something better than I got with my old F-150. I was pretty disappointed. I'm only 5'3" so I'm not the typical driver but this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever driven. The wheel is too far away, the seat is uncomfortable and the headrest is of an incredibly awkward design. As far as build quality, the radio turns on by itself, one of the speaker grills rattles and the dashboard cup holder pops open occasionally. I'd never buy another Toyota.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the seat-it's so bad for a short person I'm selling this lemon.

Best gas truck on the market!!
By Tim

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I was very close to buying a diesel pick-up for hauling and longevity but after much research and many test drives I purchased the Tundra. It has TONS of power, rides as smooth as a car. I have hauled very heavy loads in the bed 1000+lbs and I really can't tell the difference. I do a lot of hunting in the mountains (Colorado) and it has done everything I need and then some. 15000 miles and absolutely no issues!

Favorite Features

Extremely powerful engine that roars through and over the Rocky Mountain passes as if they were speed bumps. Great looking truck, a coat of wax will make it mirror like! Very comfortable and rides smooth. Toyota quality and dependability. Tranny and drive train are second to none.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls on the steering wheel would be nice. Less plastic on the dash may eliminate minor dash noise over rough roads. Other than that, great job Toyota and thanks for an awesome truck!!

Great Truck
By jim

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Driving 130 miles + daily to and from work, I average 18.5 miles/gallon at the sweet spot of 63 miles/hour. Freeway I have gotten up to 21 max. Power is great, ride is a bit bumpy with the TRD package. Ford's interior is much better designed as far as layout. The leather seats should come with the ventilated option like the highlander. No real problems yet, emergency brake needle adjusted. Tires on the TRD hydroplane a lot, will not use the BF Goodrich next time. I should have opted for the navigation system, and forgotten about the JBL under the back seat. Interior storage room lacks, but the 6.5 foot bed is just the right size for most parking lots. All in all would I buy another, YES.

Favorite Features

POWER. And BIG.

Suggested Improvements

Make 3/4 TON Model for pulling large 5th wheels. Much more than a 24 foot and you have overloaded the axle's.

This puppy has it all
By samuel

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I had the old tundra with the 281HP (2006) and what a difference the 5.7L is compared. This puppy has what it takes, while I don't tow a lot, I know she has what it takes. Once you start her up, she is ready to go!!! My truck acts like a pit bull on a leash with a poodle walking in front of it. You can feel the power this piece of machine has as you speed up and slow down through the tranny. My truck is barely over a year and a half old and I have about 44k miles on it. Beside oil changes (60 bucks a pop) and the power steering fluid change, nothing has gone wrong. I'm close to buying tires for my 18 inch rims, for 4 tires - firestone wants about 900, and sam's club about 600 for michelins.

Favorite Features

The JBL sound system is something to listen to, the bass is located under the rear seat and packs some thump!!! The clarity of the speakers is awesome to listen when cranked up...just hook up your ipod and take'er to about 80 and it's smooth sailing...bluetooth is also nice to have and play with.

Suggested Improvements

Work on the suspension a tad...when the bed is empty, this sucker will bounce, would be nice to have a comfort control adjustment like my lexus GX470 does, does make a difference. Get rid of that canister for oil changes, my old 55 Chevy hardtop has this, are we going back to the 50's or what?

Big and Powerful Truck
By Big and Powerful

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Biggest truck driven so far. Sometime it felt like driving a school bus because it's so big inside and outside. Love the Big V8 and Big brake. Truck is very quiet and firm on the roads. The only thing I don't about this truck is that it uses too much gas. Getting around 14-18MPG on mix driving. Got to trade it in for Tacoma or 2nd home equity loan soon because getting expensive to fill up the gas tank. I don't understand how millions of people can afford to drive any Big V8 everyday because I can't...

Favorite Features

Powerful, Smooth Big V8 engine, Big Brake, and Toyota quality. Incredibly quiet and roomy and comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.