Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Great truck but...
By cjcanu01

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Awesome truck over all. The dashboard is quite noisy in the colder months due to plastic. The quality of the body material is terrible. You can literally leave a dent in the truck if you smack it w/ your hand...this is not "truck" quality. I worry that the truck will look several years older than it actually is in just 3 years due to the poor quality body panels and paint.

Favorite Features

Drive Train, ride comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality body panels and paint.

Strong Truck
By Nam

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I've had my 5.7L for about a year and will exceed 25K miles this year. This is a well-made vehicle. It replaced my 05 F250 diesel. Now this is no F250, but I do pull 6000 pounds with it and it's pretty good. Without the trailer it's just plain fun to drive. Of course mashing the accelerator cost you lots of money because the fuel mileage is pretty poor. I'm mostly highway and I average around 16 mpg. The price I got a year ago was incredible. This is a whole lot of truck for the money. Only real complaint I have on this truck is the paint. It's very thin and scratches very easily. This is a common complaint of the Toyota Truck Forums.

Favorite Features

Big engine is great.

Suggested Improvements

I think Toyota uses a more "earth friendly" paint, which I'm guessing may mean somewhat water based. Not sure, but the paint is poor. Just looking at it wrong will scratch it.

Another Great American Made Toyota
By J. Jones

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

After waiting for two years to purchase a 2nd Gen Tundra, I finally got a good deal in 12/08 on a TRD/4X4/Dbl Cab, when gas climbed to $4.00 a gallon. It was well worth the wait. I have not driven the truck that much, and just went through the first tank of gas. I was blown away when my calculations showed 21.7 mpg in combo city/highway driving (my 04 Camry gets 28 mpg). The Tundra has tons of power, space, and is a delight to drive. If you want to buy American, buy a Tundra, because it is made here in the USA by Americans in the Great State of Texas.

Favorite Features

The 5.7 V8 is a great performer, revs easy, just tons of power for a truck. Drivability is superb, although the ride is truck like with the TRD package and Blisten Shocks. I like the dampened tailgate, it helps that if you have your hands full, you don't have to worry about the gate slamming down.

Suggested Improvements

The gauge display. I just don't like the orange display because it is difficult for me to see during the day. The technology is out there to allow for an infinite selection of the display color. Toyota should at least offer it as an option. The optional tailgate step should come standard too.

Conflicted.
By VictorV.

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

My first choice was a 2009 Ford F150, but could not make a deal. Bought my Tundra in Monterey, Ca and drove her home to Las Vegas, NV. I drove my truck through a multitude of highways, and this is what I learned. More power than I will ever need. Going up the grade past Baker, CA, the Tundra did not break a sweat. Drive was smooth and comfortable, but, pay attention here, there is bed bounce. Just on certain type of roads, not enough to get rid of the truck (my Dodge Ram had the same issue) but it might cause other drivers fits. Very quiet truck, cannot hear roadnoise. All in all, the best bang for the buck in its segment.

Favorite Features

The big 5.7 engine. Big truck.

Suggested Improvements

Fix bed bounce issues. Better quality plastics in interior.

A must drive truck!!
By Oscar

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Powerful truck with an amazing Intelligent technology, it wont get stuck in the mud. Trust me, I have regular tires in mine and I had to go though mud and dirt and this truck just goes by like it's nothing. Good warranty, powerful, nice design. The only bad things are the seats are a lil too hard but not big deal, If you want a tough truck this is the one. I love mine.

Favorite Features

Headlights, taillights, body design.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats a little bit more soft.