Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Torque and horsepower are intoxicating!
By Warren on 01/21/09 06:05 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

When you live in the Rocky Mountains, 7, 8, 9 or even 13 per cent grades are not uncommon. How do you get a 6000 pound vehicle over such obstacles? Toyota has done it with a magnificent 380+ HP 400+ pound foot of torque, fire breathing 5.7L variable valve V8. Combined with a silky smooth 6 speed automatic transmission, 4.30 monster rear axle and enormous disc brakes on all four corners, Toyota has delivered a powertrain that will move this beast from 0-60 in just a hair over 6.0 seconds. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Once you have put your foot into this 1/2 ton truck, signing the sales contract is easy. No buyer's remorse here!!!

The Best Damn Truck Period
By dubois on 01/17/09 13:38 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a lot. Have an E350 van, F250 diesel, Tribeca and this combines all of those vehicles abilities into one - and that was the point. In 3 months I have traveled 11,500 miles inc'l east to west coast r/t via Dallas. Total av gas is 16.2. Rides great on ALL surfaces. Have just towed a loaded 5 x 8 trailer and a full bed (appx 5000 lbs total) that trip alone was 1300 miles avg gas was 15.6 - bottom line this vehicle has loads of room, features, and therefore offers me 4 vehicles in one, van like space & hauling, SUV like passenger room, great gas and truck like towing. With the 4.7 V8 and an 8 ft bed I can still hit 60 in about 7.5 seconds if I need to. Best vehicle I have ever owned!!

Toyota burned the midnight oil
By Tundyguy on 01/16/09 01:16 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Well thought out vehicle, this is my second new Toyota and I am not disappointed. I looked at all the other great trucks out there, Ford, Dodge, GM, Nissan and the Tundra is what I chose. It's impressive that such a great quality truck is actually 100% made in the USA. Great job Toyota. I have the Limited Crewmax and this truck has got it all. Beautifully made vehicle, makes me not want to rough it up. If you're looking for a great SUV and a great truck all rolled up into one the Tundra Limited Is it.

Great Powertrain!!
By Slysnakeman on 01/12/09 11:36 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Truck has loads of power and a silky shifting 6 speed tranny. MPG has stayed around 16 overall with about 30% of my driving in the city. Truck steers and tracks exceptional and acceleration is effortless. Overall the ride quality is "good" not great. The rear suspension rides jittery and a bit stiff. It's what I expected from a truck with a 1500 lb. payload and 10,000 lb. towing capacity. I've really enjoyed the nav/JBL with bluetooth, and the backup camera is very helpful in a truck this size.

Can't wait to jump in and drive
By AOD on 01/11/09 20:04 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I am 42 and I have owned 51 vehicles since 1984. I always thought Toyota had a bland design so I never bought until 2007. Now I LOVE Toyota. Seems all their efforts go into the important aspects of a vehicle, not "bells and whistles" I am so JACKED about my new Tundra and struggle to find anything significantly wrong. Just LOVE the Tundra!!!

Toyota "Blunder" Limited
By Toyota Blunder on 01/11/09 19:25 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned most light trucks over the last 25 years. This by far disappoints in most categories. The ride is harsh and poorly dampened, the radio, though upgraded could not keep a station. The integrated phone system, though great in concept worked when it wanted to. The steering is vague, the transmission needs improvement. 6 spd. sounds good until you put it to the test. Coming to a stop it was evident that you could experience each speed back to 1st. 6th gear is like the old 3sp. stick if you shifted too quickly the vehicle sounded as if it were lagging... same for the Tundra. The interior: plastic. I have bought a new Avalanche, top of the line for less money... fabulous

Tundra Crew Max SR5
By Frank Aparo on 01/10/09 15:48 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Good truck I have had Chevrolet / Dodge this my first Toyota. Great engine I have got 21 MPG with the big engine key is to use the cruise and leave it at 70 MPH. I also use either Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic which helps a little. I wish Toyota had the compass in the SR5 package. Visibility is the worst of any truck I have had big blind spots could be fixed with split mirrors, but I did not want the towing mirrors. I bought the CrewMax for the rear leg room it is by far the biggest rear seat room cab. I am amazed that to change the oil the skid plate must be removed. I work for an automotive supplier and we supply all of the big 3 and transplants Toyota has the toughest specs.

Nearly Perfect Truck
By sfb452 on 12/22/08 18:54 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have almost 14k on the truck and I am more than impressed. I am very demanding of my vehicles and have no tolerance for rattles, design flaws, quality, etc. No disappointments with this truck so far. I have driven the truck in rain, snow and ice. Rarely need 4WD to get around even in the worst conditions. Tons of power, excellent transmission & brakes. Averaging 17.1 combined mpg on new AT tires. Tows like a diesel. Amazingly quite and solid road manners. Unbelievable amount of room in front and rear seats. All of the gadgets (bluetooth, rear camera, nav) work perfectly. I have purchased over a dozen new trucks (all brands gas and diesel). So far, the best truck I have ever owned.

Tundra Offroad??
By Dashboard on 12/22/08 14:31 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Do not buy if you farm, ranch, backroad, camp, hunt, drive in snow, ice or mud. My 2000 TRD Tundra was a dream. I live in Colorado high country & drive in all the worst conditions & environments list above. The truck is a city or highway vehicle. No front tire chains. Clearance too low. Also; if you wear a shoe or boot size larger than Japanese size 8 watch out for the driver-side floor heater duct. My muddy boots (size 12) kept hitting the duct when I applied the brakes. The bed is to high for side access without a step stool.

My Toyota
By Mike on 12/17/08 18:15 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We have a Travel Trailer - about 6,800LBS and do some serious hills Santa Cruz Mountians and such. The ride is very nice - lots of power on demand. I have to say my Jayco G2 - if not for my rear view its like its not behind me. The NAV and Radio are a little bit of a reach. The seats could use more of a wrap around lumbar support. Other then that - I really love the truck. I have every option you can get!