Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

This puppy has it all
By samuel

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I had the old tundra with the 281HP (2006) and what a difference the 5.7L is compared. This puppy has what it takes, while I don't tow a lot, I know she has what it takes. Once you start her up, she is ready to go!!! My truck acts like a pit bull on a leash with a poodle walking in front of it. You can feel the power this piece of machine has as you speed up and slow down through the tranny. My truck is barely over a year and a half old and I have about 44k miles on it. Beside oil changes (60 bucks a pop) and the power steering fluid change, nothing has gone wrong. I'm close to buying tires for my 18 inch rims, for 4 tires - firestone wants about 900, and sam's club about 600 for michelins.

Favorite Features

The JBL sound system is something to listen to, the bass is located under the rear seat and packs some thump!!! The clarity of the speakers is awesome to listen when cranked up...just hook up your ipod and take'er to about 80 and it's smooth sailing...bluetooth is also nice to have and play with.

Suggested Improvements

Work on the suspension a tad...when the bed is empty, this sucker will bounce, would be nice to have a comfort control adjustment like my lexus GX470 does, does make a difference. Get rid of that canister for oil changes, my old 55 Chevy hardtop has this, are we going back to the 50's or what?

Big and Powerful Truck
By Big and Powerful

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Biggest truck driven so far. Sometime it felt like driving a school bus because it's so big inside and outside. Love the Big V8 and Big brake. Truck is very quiet and firm on the roads. The only thing I don't about this truck is that it uses too much gas. Getting around 14-18MPG on mix driving. Got to trade it in for Tacoma or 2nd home equity loan soon because getting expensive to fill up the gas tank. I don't understand how millions of people can afford to drive any Big V8 everyday because I can't...

Favorite Features

Powerful, Smooth Big V8 engine, Big Brake, and Toyota quality. Incredibly quiet and roomy and comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

First Toyota Truck
By MIkeF

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wonderful truck. Have had all the others and no comparison. Rides well, handles well and smaller V8 handles my needs. Same story on gas mileage as everyone else, but the same or near all the others. Paint seems thin and scratches way to easy. Truck needs door mouldings and doors ding easily. Upgraded wheels are dull and lifeless.

Favorite Features

Nice ride, good acceleration. Numerous compliments on appearance. I have added chrome wheel skins, door handles, mirror covers and graphics. Love the huge console and all the storage features. Easy tailgate lifting.

Suggested Improvements

Add a more variable speed wiper. The speed options stink compared to Dodge. Add a turn signal alarm. Dodge has that standard. Sometimes forget to turn it off and there is no reminder alarm. Add rear seat outlet for phone or...?? Add access for oil filter. Add suicide handle on driver side. Paint stinks.

Sport Coupe Pickup
By Philips

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Small V8 performance and with it's five passenger, hard top coupe styling, "cozy", intimate, and, very comfortable, four adult pass interior, coupled with decent gas mileage... makes it the perfect choice for a single "empty nester" like myself. The 21.5 MPG Hwy, is the "frosting on the cake", pretty amazing for a vehicle this size. The 60-40 split, flip up rear seat with under seat storage holds all my camping gear or whatever, securely locked. Plus, I can tow up to 5000lbs if I want... Great Truck!... Looks great, I get lots of compliments. Mine is White with Graphite, Bucket seats with Console... My traveling office.

Favorite Features

Powerfull V6, decent mileage, Sporty Coupe Pickup styling, Intimate Interior design with lots of "Cubbies", and, it's a safe vehicle too!

Suggested Improvements

Combine main instrumentation into one cluster, so that one can see all instruments "at a glance". Also, would like to have radio closer to driver's position. Otherwise, it's a great design... One last thing, all gauges and buttons should be illuminated!

First Toyota - last truck ever!
By tennriverrat

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

If someone would've told me ten years ago that today I would own any truck other than a Chevrolet (especially a Toyota), I would've died laughing at them. I bought a left over '08 model for my wife and she can't keep me out of it. The performance for a full sized truck is amazing. My daily driver is an '06 Nissan Altima SE-R, and the truck is as fun to drive as the car is. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the car to buy one of the Tundra TRD Sport Editions for myself. Gas mileage is my only complaint, HOWEVER, I knew it wasn't going to be great when I bought it. Let's face it, in order to tow 5 tons, you gotta give somewhere. Having said that, it still gets 18mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

These Tundras are SEXY, PERIOD! Body lines - Beautiful. Interior - Super. I love the 4 "full" doors instead of the rears suicides like all the others. Except for AWD and ONSTAR, this truck has everything my '05 Sierra Denali had on it, and the Tundra outperforms the Denali, EASILY!

Suggested Improvements

Send some from the factory with the TRD supercharger!