2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Tundra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Sort Reviews by

Monster truck
By Ralph

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Wow, what a super truck from the muscle and big brakes to ride and quietness. The guality is top shelf. Talked to some mechanics and was told Toyota is the best truck on the road. After having 3 Chevy's and a Dodge ram, I couldn't agree more. I know there's die hard Chevy, Ford and Dodge owners out there, do yourself a favor and check out this baby.

Favorite Features

turning radius, full power rear window, power, smooth tranny, color (salsa red pearl) exterior looks, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

None

I like this truck so far 2008 tundra
By Leon Garray

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2006 silverado for a 2008 tundra, one of the best thing I did. I feel I'm driving a real truck the comfort is great, the power is there when you need it V8, I get 300 miles on a full tank using premium fuel. The only negative feed back I have is there's a few blind spot other wise it's a good truck. I've owned this truck for one month...

Favorite Features

comfort and exterior look

Suggested Improvements

one thing I miss from my silverado which was the bottom of the line was having the radio control feature on the steering wheel

Owner
By Ben

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this truck for about ten months now and I love it. It doesn't surprise me American car makers are going bankrupt. This is one tough truck with a beast for an engine under they hood. It sits back in wait at your beckoning call. If you don't want a real truck then don't buy the Tundra that's for sure. Can't wait to see the 2010 1/2 ton diesel!!!

Bigger Gas Tank
By Carlos

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Since this Tundra 4x4 5.7 is a V8 and makes an average 14miles per gallon is SHOULD HAVE a bigger gas tank or a secondary gas tank so the truck may have more gas station independence, I hate to stop to fill up the thank every 250 miles. Pls take a note on this. The springs are too soft for heavy loads. But overall this is a great "get out of my way" looking monster which I am proud to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank or an additional one. Stronger spring for heavy loads.

Awesome power
By John

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

What a great truck this is! We have had trucks from all the majors, just recently had an 03 F250 diesel. Then come our Tundra and all I can say is WOW. The powertrain in this thing is great, sleek styling lines, tow capabilities and Toyota quality is what sold us. The interior plastics could be better, ride can get a little funky over expansion joints at high speeds. In 6 months been into dealer for squealing belt twice, under warranty. We live in a GM town, and have always tried to drive something different. All the Chevys and Gmc's tend to all look alike and there are lots of them around. Can't wait to tow our camper this year.

Favorite Features

Great powertrain, unique styling and tow capability.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the bed bounce, improve interior plastics.

No Regrets
By Big Sky

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

No other half ton can match this beast. From the style to every detail is what a modern day truck owner would want. My previous truck was a Nissan Titan. It was a decent truck until I got behind the wheel of a new Tundra. They pulled out all of the stops. Great job Toyota. Gas mileage is not bad, but hey its a truck not a hybrid. A+

Favorite Features

6 Speed transmission, huge horsepower, great brakes. High towing level, all interior pieces are at your fingertips.

Suggested Improvements

Include a spray in bedliner. And make the anchors Steel instead of plastic.

Best and most honest review you will get
By Kyle Ginder

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I work in the plant that builds the Tundras so I know a lot about them and plus I just bought one a few months ago so I am going to be as honest as I can be about it. Overall the Tundra is a great truck but like all other vehicles it could have some improvements. But Toyota does a lot of things to there vehicles that the domestic companies do not do like Toyota puts sealer on the edge door seams to keep from rusting and spray pvc under the vehicle and in the wheels wells to reduce road noise and to prevent rust, sprays antichip along rocker panels to prevent rock chips. I think all of these extra little things add up and is what makes Toyotas good reputation.

Favorite Features

Tailgate assist, design of exterior, comfortable seats, nice responsive engine, quiet cabin, lots of storage compartments, interior has lots of head and leg room, sharp turn radius, bright headlights

Suggested Improvements

Radio antenna in windshield, little less plastic in interior, make front grille stainless steel instead of black plastic, make automatic headlights a standard, make oil filter easier to access, possibly improvement on ride comfort

Should have just bought it last year
By Back To Toyota

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Last year i got caught up in the "buy American" movement and purchased a 2007 Denali. What a mistake. Traded it in for a 2008 Tundra Limited Crewmax and couldn't be happier. Drove it over 700 miles the day after i purchased it. Comfortable seats, lots of power, smooth ride and averaged 17.5 mpg at 75 mph. I am a big guy (6'4) but had plenty of leg and hip room. I can't wait to hook my Airstream up to it to see how it pulls. Once again Toyota got it right.

Favorite Features

Comfort, power, roomy back seat, ergonomic interior, exterior lines, ride, towing capabilities, ability for rear window to roll down.

Suggested Improvements

The interior looked a little cheap at first but now it has really grown on me. Probably because it's just so functional.

Love my truck!
By Kim

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We lovingly refer to my truck as "Big Blue". I am a 5'1" tall woman and have looked for this truck for YEARS. I needed something with a very high tow rating for my horses, that would still accommodate my 3 kids, and not feel like I drove a tank every day. The Tundra does all that in style. No one can believe how sexy this truck is, it is unique and turns heads everywhere I go. It is easy to drive and gets good gas mileage. It does have a blind spot if you are short and have to sit close like me, and the radio had to be replaced right off the bat, but the service has been excellent and it purrs every time I turn the key.

Favorite Features

The exterior body style is very sleek and sexy, and the interior is well balanced and family friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system, thinning out the metal between the windshield and door jam as it creates a blind spot if you sit close to the dash.

Poor Design
By Michael

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This truck came with no body side moldings and none are available from Toyota. Toyota did put an "Event Data Recorder" in the Tundra. This records vehicle operation data to be used by Toyota if it is sued (the data can also be obtained by court order and used against the vehicle owner). Guess that is where the body side molding funds went. Other manufactures are doing the same, but Dodge, for instance, at least offers side molding as an option. It gets better. I tried to find the oil filter and couldn't. I got online and found owners complaining that it was installed above the skid plate. You have to removed it to get to the oil filter.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Put body side molding on the truck. Who wants to spend that kind of money on a truck to have it beat up? No brainer. Put the oil filter in an accessible location. Come on. Lower the damn vehicle. You shouldn't have to climb to get in the driver's seat.