2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Great truck wish I could buy another
By Bill on 11/17/09 08:35 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased the truck brand new in January 2008. So far I've done some light to moderate towing with it, driven it on a few trips, and I have to say it's very comfortable to drive, tons of room, tows great, and pretty good gas mileage running around empty on trips. Average 16mpg city/22mpg highway. Bought a Toyota because of the reliability and because it's built in the USA. I have no complaints about the truck. At 25,000 miles and 0 issues it sure beats the Chevy I used to own.

One Tough Truck
By Buildn on 11/05/09 20:48 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have purchased a certified preowned Tundra SR5, 4x4, TRD, Double Cab. This truck only had 10,000 miles on it! Can't beat Toyota quality, Used to own a 2000 year Toyota Tundra. What helped with the decision is Toyota offered a 7 year 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty! It was a no brainer. This 08 is actually a lot of fun to drive!

Not what I hoped for
By dan b. on 11/01/09 13:30 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've heard a lot about the fabled design and quality manufacturing of Toyota vehicles so I hoped for something better than I got with my old F-150. I was pretty disappointed. I'm only 5'3" so I'm not the typical driver but this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever driven. The wheel is too far away, the seat is uncomfortable and the headrest is of an incredibly awkward design. As far as build quality, the radio turns on by itself, one of the speaker grills rattles and the dashboard cup holder pops open occasionally. I'd never buy another Toyota.

Best gas truck on the market!!
By Tim on 09/22/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I was very close to buying a diesel pick-up for hauling and longevity but after much research and many test drives I purchased the Tundra. It has TONS of power, rides as smooth as a car. I have hauled very heavy loads in the bed 1000+lbs and I really can't tell the difference. I do a lot of hunting in the mountains (Colorado) and it has done everything I need and then some. 15000 miles and absolutely no issues!

Great Truck
By jim on 09/11/09 15:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Driving 130 miles + daily to and from work, I average 18.5 miles/gallon at the sweet spot of 63 miles/hour. Freeway I have gotten up to 21 max. Power is great, ride is a bit bumpy with the TRD package. Ford's interior is much better designed as far as layout. The leather seats should come with the ventilated option like the highlander. No real problems yet, emergency brake needle adjusted. Tires on the TRD hydroplane a lot, will not use the BF Goodrich next time. I should have opted for the navigation system, and forgotten about the JBL under the back seat. Interior storage room lacks, but the 6.5 foot bed is just the right size for most parking lots. All in all would I buy another, YES.

This puppy has it all
By samuel on 09/09/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I had the old tundra with the 281HP (2006) and what a difference the 5.7L is compared. This puppy has what it takes, while I don't tow a lot, I know she has what it takes. Once you start her up, she is ready to go!!! My truck acts like a pit bull on a leash with a poodle walking in front of it. You can feel the power this piece of machine has as you speed up and slow down through the tranny. My truck is barely over a year and a half old and I have about 44k miles on it. Beside oil changes (60 bucks a pop) and the power steering fluid change, nothing has gone wrong. I'm close to buying tires for my 18 inch rims, for 4 tires - firestone wants about 900, and sam's club about 600 for michelins.

Big and Powerful Truck
By Big and Powerful on 09/08/09 22:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Biggest truck driven so far. Sometime it felt like driving a school bus because it's so big inside and outside. Love the Big V8 and Big brake. Truck is very quiet and firm on the roads. The only thing I don't about this truck is that it uses too much gas. Getting around 14-18MPG on mix driving. Got to trade it in for Tacoma or 2nd home equity loan soon because getting expensive to fill up the gas tank. I don't understand how millions of people can afford to drive any Big V8 everyday because I can't...

First Toyota Truck
By MIkeF on 09/04/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wonderful truck. Have had all the others and no comparison. Rides well, handles well and smaller V8 handles my needs. Same story on gas mileage as everyone else, but the same or near all the others. Paint seems thin and scratches way to easy. Truck needs door mouldings and doors ding easily. Upgraded wheels are dull and lifeless.

Sport Coupe Pickup
By Philips on 08/14/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Small V8 performance and with it's five passenger, hard top coupe styling, "cozy", intimate, and, very comfortable, four adult pass interior, coupled with decent gas mileage... makes it the perfect choice for a single "empty nester" like myself. The 21.5 MPG Hwy, is the "frosting on the cake", pretty amazing for a vehicle this size. The 60-40 split, flip up rear seat with under seat storage holds all my camping gear or whatever, securely locked. Plus, I can tow up to 5000lbs if I want... Great Truck!... Looks great, I get lots of compliments. Mine is White with Graphite, Bucket seats with Console... My traveling office.

First Toyota - last truck ever!
By tennriverrat on 08/03/09 12:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

If someone would've told me ten years ago that today I would own any truck other than a Chevrolet (especially a Toyota), I would've died laughing at them. I bought a left over '08 model for my wife and she can't keep me out of it. The performance for a full sized truck is amazing. My daily driver is an '06 Nissan Altima SE-R, and the truck is as fun to drive as the car is. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the car to buy one of the Tundra TRD Sport Editions for myself. Gas mileage is my only complaint, HOWEVER, I knew it wasn't going to be great when I bought it. Let's face it, in order to tow 5 tons, you gotta give somewhere. Having said that, it still gets 18mpg on the highway.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Tundra Double-cab in WA is:

$176 per month*