Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Best Truck I have Owned
By EB

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This truck has great power. Mileage from Austin to Dallas 20.9 running 70+. Does drop to 18.5 from Austin to W.Va. and back running hard. Pulled my pontoon boat up ramp with pontoon full of water. Enough weight to flatten all 4 trailer tires. Calculated weight to be in excess of 13000. Could not tell boat was behind. Wife is 4'9" and loves this truck. This truck is GREAT!!!!!!!!! Would buy again. Highly recommend!!!

Favorite Features

Power Mileage Comfort Features Hands free phone

Pleased but not completely satisfied
By Big Jay

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The truck has done everything I have wanted it to do. It has performed well off road, on the highway and in the snow. I have put it to work hauling and towing and it has not failed me. As discussed below, Toyota put cheap tires on the truck. I shouldn't have to replace them at 25K. One of the tires had a crack in it. The local Firestone dealer told me that they tires were to light for the truck. If do your own general maintenance such as oil changes, you will hate Toyota. Changing the oil is time consuming and difficult. See below. I think the under-seat storage bin should be standard. I recommend it. The gas mileage has been as expected: 11-14 in town and 16-18 on the highway.

Favorite Features

Love the power and control off road and in the snow. The truck has met all of my expectation. I do not regret my purchase at all.

Suggested Improvements

I replaced OEM tires at 25K. The front tire started to crack. Interior design is odd. The hanging file section in the middle console is a waste of space. Changing the oil is a royal pain. The designer of the oil filter should be fired. They are expensive and hard to change.

Proud Owner
By Dick Trout

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

There is an occasional transmission "clunk" when coasting at about 35 mph. Other than that, this is the best truck I have ever owned. We haul an 8,000 pound trailer about 15,000 miles per year, often in mountains. Plenty of power! Often have 2,000 pounds in bed. truck doesnt even "squat". Truck has temperature gauge. Would also like a standard compass. Repair service of any kind has never been necessary

Favorite Features

Power, reliability

Suggested Improvements

eliminate the coasting clunk (others have reported similar noise.) install a standard compass.

Great Truck
By hounddoc

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Toyota about a year ago with the original tires. Mine seem fine, so I'm not sure about previous reviews, besides who buys a full size pick-up for gas milage? The Tundra fits the bill in every sense. Great family truck, hauls and tows very nicely and looks great on the road with an aggressive front. Buy this now, you won't regret it!

Excellent
By dufour

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my truck 3 years ago. It has 29 km. I pull a camper (5200 pounds) and the tundra is doing a great job. Gaz millage is high but what else can I expect from a 5.7 liters engine. The power is impressive. This is my third toyota truck (old tacoma V6 3.0 and the last model V6 4.0 liter) and I have no fear about atrting the engine even when I going to my cabin on winter and start it after a week end of minus 35 (I live in northern Quebec).I change to rear brakes at 51km and a little noise is coming once in a while from the dash board on the passenger side. Toyota tried to fix the problem under warranty but the noise came back again in a short period of time. This is for the bad side.

Favorite Features

Engine is just great and the fiability is there.

Suggested Improvements

Chassis should be stronger