2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Not a bad truck
By limey on 04/01/10 18:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The bed bounce can be very annoying. If you live in a area with concrete highways I would test drive it there to see how it handles. My kids find it fun now but I think that might change in a few years. The power from the 5.7 is amazing, you can pull away from almost everything on the road.

Great Truck!
By Steve on 04/01/10 13:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

It came down to either this truck, or a Dodge Ram and I jumped at the HUGE rebate offered back when gas was over $4 a gallon. The exterior and interior look similar (better IMHO) to the Dodge. Everyone, to include Dodge, Chevy and Ford owners love my truck. The MSRP was over $32K and I got it for ~$24 with TTT, running bars and a 10 year 100K miles Bumper to Bumper warranty. The only 2 things I dislike are the MPG and the CHEAP radio. I drove a Suburban previously, so I was use to the MPG plus, that was why I saved over $8000. The radio also was the standard one and there was no way I would pay for the Limited package. Almost 18,000 miles and only had to get the radio replaced.

Motor Rocks
By RF on 03/30/10 20:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

My third Tundra (2001 SR5, 2005 SR5 4WD Crew). The motor simply rocks, its quiet, smooth and incredibly powerful. I tow a 5000 lb boat and you don't even know its there. The tranny works well while towing, but has trouble finding gears at slower speeds when not towing, especially when taking off from a light. Other than that, its my least favorite Tundra. It just doesn't feel well put together, the throttle is very punchy, I have several rattles and have had to replace the radio, oh and the little gas pedal recall. I commute and can routinely get 19 mpg if I use cruise control, which is awesome.

Proud Owner
By Dick Trout on 03/12/10 06:14 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

There is an occasional transmission "clunk" when coasting at about 35 mph. Other than that, this is the best truck I have ever owned. We haul an 8,000 pound trailer about 15,000 miles per year, often in mountains. Plenty of power! Often have 2,000 pounds in bed. truck doesnt even "squat". Truck has temperature gauge. Would also like a standard compass. Repair service of any kind has never been necessary

Best Truck I have Owned
By EB on 01/15/10 10:12 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This truck has great power. Mileage from Austin to Dallas 20.9 running 70+. Does drop to 18.5 from Austin to W.Va. and back running hard. Pulled my pontoon boat up ramp with pontoon full of water. Enough weight to flatten all 4 trailer tires. Calculated weight to be in excess of 13000. Could not tell boat was behind. Wife is 4'9" and loves this truck. This truck is GREAT!!!!!!!!! Would buy again. Highly recommend!!!

Great with improvement needed
By biglakebubba on 01/11/10 11:10 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

First year, every thing was fine. MPG was steadily increasing. Now mileage stinks, 15.3, max. highway. The trailer towing wiring is in a vulnerable place under the bumper. It drags off when you go off-road. Lazy engineering. Put it in the bumper. The wipers have issues. Build up of snow/ice while driving will hang pass. side up in extreme weather. Now only one wiper works and it is going to dealer. Do not buy dealers remote start or steps. Remote starter too expensive, $600 and does not work or will not let you start it without getting out, locking the doors, then getting back in. Now it does not work at all even with new batts. Steps are too short to use to access bed. Otherwise great.

Fragile, very fragile.
By Tom R. on 01/05/10 18:04 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

First the good news, this truck with the 5.7L engine gets very good MPG, hwy 21, city 15 unloaded. Unfortunately, thatÂ’s where the good news ends, I purchased this truck to tow my 5800 lbs travel trailer to and from the NC Mountains during the spring, summer and falls months, I got the 5.7L, SR5, extended cab with the tow package. On our first trip to Boon, NC we experienced the well documented reverberation and bouncing that comes with just the slightest change in road conditionsÂ…..and we only traveled the interstates and four lane highways. The second thing we noticed and it also is well documented in this forum, it the shifting between 5th and 6th gear on straight road. It dents easily.

Typical Toyota!
By CanGuy on 12/17/09 22:06 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I found a used one and bought it. Goes like hell, rides nice, quiet, great looking, functional, fun and for the most part is built very well. Wouldn't have considered any other make, especially now that they are no longer cheaper up here in Canada. Toyota will always be my only choice unless they prove me otherwise!

Exceptional! Power, MPG, 4x4, Comfort
By scott on 11/30/09 08:20 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Exceptional value for $27,200 for a new 2008 Tundra DC 5.7L 4WD bench seat long bed! This truck has taken me where only jeeps can go (major 4x4 trails) and got me back. Zero maintenance problems. 18 MPG on highway! I can seat 6 comfortably. Handicapped wife sleeps on back bench no problem! Power is amazing for stock. Tows 20' camper trailer as if it isn't even there! Note- I don't work for Toyota, I just LOVE the truck!

Poor Towing Truck
By Keith on 11/19/09 04:43 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This truck has too much plastic for the money. It does look good. The TRD Package truck has towing issues. My truck cant seems to find the right gear to tow my 5500 trailer. It wont go it 5th gear in auto mode but can be shifted to 5th gear manually and stays there. The dealership doesn't have a clue and says no problem with truck. The field rep says I see the issue but there's nothing that can be changed out to fix it. The company headquarters says no problem exists and file for a 3rd party ruling to determine if they have to buy it back. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA TRUCK. P.S. I have talked to other TRD package owners and some have the same issue.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.