Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Very Satisfied
By Bpa49

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Before buying I researched and read reviews about every brand of truck in this class. The Tundra was by far the most vehicle for the money especially after the rebates that were going on in July, 08. The SR5 trim level has all the most common standard features that you would not have on a similar priced Ford or Chevy. Has plenty of power with the 5.7, very comfortable to drive, quiet, and even the gas mileage isn't bad for a 6000 lb 381 hp vehicle. I travel 42 miles per day on the hilly interstates of western PA and average 15.6 mpg. On a 600 mile trip I averaged 18+. Only complaint is sometimes the transmission downshifts a little too easily even going down a moderate hill.

Large Crew max cab. More back seat room than any 4 door pick up I've seen. Engine power. 6 speed transmission. Only 5200 miles so far but no problems at all.

A little longer bed on the Crew Max model. Running boards standard. I don't really notice much difference with the tow/haul mode when selected as compared to the Ford or Chevy set up. There is a very noticeable difference in the shift points on the Fords the tow/haul mode option.

Worst Truck Ever Owned
By Kevin S

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I'm 50 years old, professional with my own business, and I've owned a truck from every full size truck manufacturer at one time or another. This truck is THE WORST, MOST UNRELIABLE truck I have ever owned. My last trouble truck was a Dodge, and I would give anything to get that truck back, as the troubles with that Dodge pale in comparison. I've had the Toyota less than a year, and it is up for sale (I wanted to keep it at least 5 years). Issues so far: Brakes, transmission, torque converter, windshield leaks, constant "check engine" light, reverse lights quit working, transfer case leaks.

Good resale (I hope).

MORE QUALITY<-- I was expecting that already... I WAS WRONG!

Impressed
By skoalie

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have an 08 DC SR5. Right out of the gate i did a 3 n 1 leveling kit. Makes it look great! Aftermarket 20s with 33x13.5 all terrains. I have loved the truck from the get go. it only gets better as I add more to it. I am getting 15.5 mpg on the new england roads. I despise the VSC but I am told the sway bar will help eliminate the frustration I have with it. My brother who has only had cars was impressed with the smoothness of the ride (we had 2 sportbikes in the bed and were at 80 on the highway). My girlfriend/wife loved it some much that she bought a DC limited. Being a full size Chevy guy my whole life I have been truly impressed.

Power! Power! Power! Find it comfortable. Ample room. Storage is great! Mpg is better than expected but would love even more! Who wouldn't? tailgate is great, especially next to my friends Ford! But it could use some extra strength.

VSC annoys me! I am a sportbike guy so I want smooth fast corners even if it is my truck! No auto lights on SR5.

Great Truck
By Marlin

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Great truck! The other makers do not compare. If you're looking for great gas mileage this is not your truck. If you're looking for reliability, resale value, power and looks this is your truck. With only 1000 miles im getting 15 mpg hwy and city.

Navigation/Bluetooth, room, power, looks and size. The other trucks just look like a wimp compared to this truck.

Gas mileage of course! Maybe XM radio to come as standard. That's all I can really think of.

A Great Truck
By Tlane

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Wow! I love my Tundra. I have owned Ford trucks all my life - they are good trucks, but they don't match this Toyota. It pulls my 5000 lb 21 ft boat through the CO mountains like its not even back there. It is far superior to my previous F150 5.4 L for towing as far as power, stopping ability, and vehicle control. It does 60 mph plus on any of the grades where my F150 struggled along 38-42 mph in first or second gear. Its down right fast when I'm not towing. So far I'm getting 11.9 MPG towing the boat in the mountains and 17.5 commuting and around town. I can understand how people get lower mileage though, its fun to jump on the gas to see if it really does do 0-60 in 6 sec.

Really quiet! Lots of power - almost as strong as my old 94 F250 7.3 l Diesel. Nice sounding stereo.

None so far