Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Torque and horsepower are intoxicating!
By Warren

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

When you live in the Rocky Mountains, 7, 8, 9 or even 13 per cent grades are not uncommon. How do you get a 6000 pound vehicle over such obstacles? Toyota has done it with a magnificent 380+ HP 400+ pound foot of torque, fire breathing 5.7L variable valve V8. Combined with a silky smooth 6 speed automatic transmission, 4.30 monster rear axle and enormous disc brakes on all four corners, Toyota has delivered a powertrain that will move this beast from 0-60 in just a hair over 6.0 seconds. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Once you have put your foot into this 1/2 ton truck, signing the sales contract is easy. No buyer's remorse here!!!

Favorite Features

By far, my favorite feature is the acceleration of this truck. Do not forget to turn off all the "nannies" that will try to inhibit the performance potential of this drivetrain. I love pulling a steep grade on the interstate at 75-80 mph, tapping the floor mounted shifter and passing with ease.

Suggested Improvements

On certain sections of concrete interstate, while cruising at over 80 mph, this truck will set up a type of "harmonic shaking" that is so violent, you will think the lug nuts have come loose on one of your wheels.

The Best Damn Truck Period
By dubois

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a lot. Have an E350 van, F250 diesel, Tribeca and this combines all of those vehicles abilities into one - and that was the point. In 3 months I have traveled 11,500 miles inc'l east to west coast r/t via Dallas. Total av gas is 16.2. Rides great on ALL surfaces. Have just towed a loaded 5 x 8 trailer and a full bed (appx 5000 lbs total) that trip alone was 1300 miles avg gas was 15.6 - bottom line this vehicle has loads of room, features, and therefore offers me 4 vehicles in one, van like space & hauling, SUV like passenger room, great gas and truck like towing. With the 4.7 V8 and an 8 ft bed I can still hit 60 in about 7.5 seconds if I need to. Best vehicle I have ever owned!!

Favorite Features

Mid Level trim offers more than expected, 4 whl drive really works well and is a breeze to master. Traction control and brakes are fantastic. 8 ft bed is a monster and towing is easy. Gas mileage wayyy better than expected and all on 87 octane

Suggested Improvements

Wish heated seats were optional on cloth seats or in mid grade trim, as well as upgraded stereo/DVD package. Would also like, heated washer fluid, or heated wiper blade area - otherwise no complaints

Toyota burned the midnight oil
By Tundyguy

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Well thought out vehicle, this is my second new Toyota and I am not disappointed. I looked at all the other great trucks out there, Ford, Dodge, GM, Nissan and the Tundra is what I chose. It's impressive that such a great quality truck is actually 100% made in the USA. Great job Toyota. I have the Limited Crewmax and this truck has got it all. Beautifully made vehicle, makes me not want to rough it up. If you're looking for a great SUV and a great truck all rolled up into one the Tundra Limited Is it.

Favorite Features

The nav/bluetooth/stereo system is awesome. The brightness and clarity of the headlights is outstanding. Excellent paint, excellent interior. The note of the engine I could listen to all day. The seats looks and feel like they belong in a luxury sedan. Memory seat, too nice to fully describe.

Suggested Improvements

The sidesteps should be standard, this truck really needs them.

Great Powertrain!!
By Slysnakeman

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Truck has loads of power and a silky shifting 6 speed tranny. MPG has stayed around 16 overall with about 30% of my driving in the city. Truck steers and tracks exceptional and acceleration is effortless. Overall the ride quality is "good" not great. The rear suspension rides jittery and a bit stiff. It's what I expected from a truck with a 1500 lb. payload and 10,000 lb. towing capacity. I've really enjoyed the nav/JBL with bluetooth, and the backup camera is very helpful in a truck this size.

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, nav, Bluetooth, and the actuator assisted tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Better OEM tires than the Dunlop SP5000. Offer a lighter duty model that is not as stiff in the rear and does not have the "bed bounce" that the current model seems to have.

Can't wait to jump in and drive
By AOD

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I am 42 and I have owned 51 vehicles since 1984. I always thought Toyota had a bland design so I never bought until 2007. Now I LOVE Toyota. Seems all their efforts go into the important aspects of a vehicle, not "bells and whistles" I am so JACKED about my new Tundra and struggle to find anything significantly wrong. Just LOVE the Tundra!!!

Favorite Features

Rides like a Caddy. Great ground clearance. Roomy interior. Ability to tow.

Suggested Improvements

Stock tires not so good. Stick antenna (should be integrated in window). Why does a Corolla have an integrated key and the Tundra does not???