Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Great truck
By nancyjo

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have only been on a few road trips, but I love my truck! I am a Toyota girl and with vehicles like these, I will always be loyal. This truck drives very smoothly and quiet. The stereo is great. There is a ton of room.

Favorite Features

Stereo. Tons of power! Looks great, very sexy. Lots of room and storage.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is awful. I only get about 13 mpg highway. My husband says it can pass everything but the gas station. I wish auto lights were standard because I keep forgetting to turn them on. Also there is no need for the center console to store files (kind of weird).

Better gas mileage
By Bend Frank

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I traded my 2005 Tundra for a 2008 Tundra so we could tow a travel trailer. We have the trailer, but have not had it on the road yet. However, careful recording of fuel consumption (not towing) reveals that we get nearly 18 MPG on the highway, and 17 around town, which is quite a bit better than the older Tundra. The new one has the 5.7 liter V8. Bring the trailer home over The Cascades, the truck had no problem maintaining speed up the steep grade to Government Camp on Mt. Hood, although we are restricted to 50 mph for the first 500 miles of towing. We're very satisfied with the truck.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable interior, quiet, solid. Tow/haul feature on the automatic transmission.

Had them all, this is the best
By mike

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Fuel economy: we all would like 100 mpg but this is a truck and economy is better than any full size truck I have owned. Interior: I forego pretty for functional this truck is functional. Ride: if you never go off road or plan to push this truck to its load limits pass on the off road package. Love my truck: quality, fit, finish, win win win. If you need a truck this is it, if you don't but just want a truck do your home work and understand how the package you're paying for will effect the ride and handling, but this truck will have a trim level you will be happy with. Sorry but this truck blew away my beloved red ram!

Favorite Features

The quiet ride, power, handling, ability to manual shift the auto trans, a real plus and fuel saver in rush hour xway traffic

Worst Truck Ever Owned
By Kevin S

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I'm 50 years old, professional with my own business, and I've owned a truck from every full size truck manufacturer at one time or another. This truck is THE WORST, MOST UNRELIABLE truck I have ever owned. My last trouble truck was a Dodge, and I would give anything to get that truck back, as the troubles with that Dodge pale in comparison. I've had the Toyota less than a year, and it is up for sale (I wanted to keep it at least 5 years). Issues so far: Brakes, transmission, torque converter, windshield leaks, constant "check engine" light, reverse lights quit working, transfer case leaks.

Favorite Features

Good resale (I hope).

Suggested Improvements

MORE QUALITY<-- I was expecting that already... I WAS WRONG!

Impressed
By skoalie

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have an 08 DC SR5. Right out of the gate i did a 3 n 1 leveling kit. Makes it look great! Aftermarket 20s with 33x13.5 all terrains. I have loved the truck from the get go. it only gets better as I add more to it. I am getting 15.5 mpg on the new england roads. I despise the VSC but I am told the sway bar will help eliminate the frustration I have with it. My brother who has only had cars was impressed with the smoothness of the ride (we had 2 sportbikes in the bed and were at 80 on the highway). My girlfriend/wife loved it some much that she bought a DC limited. Being a full size Chevy guy my whole life I have been truly impressed.

Favorite Features

Power! Power! Power! Find it comfortable. Ample room. Storage is great! Mpg is better than expected but would love even more! Who wouldn't? tailgate is great, especially next to my friends Ford! But it could use some extra strength.

Suggested Improvements

VSC annoys me! I am a sportbike guy so I want smooth fast corners even if it is my truck! No auto lights on SR5.