2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Excellent
By dufour on 06/02/13 05:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my truck 3 years ago. It has 29 km. I pull a camper (5200 pounds) and the tundra is doing a great job. Gaz millage is high but what else can I expect from a 5.7 liters engine. The power is impressive. This is my third toyota truck (old tacoma V6 3.0 and the last model V6 4.0 liter) and I have no fear about atrting the engine even when I going to my cabin on winter and start it after a week end of minus 35 (I live in northern Quebec).I change to rear brakes at 51km and a little noise is coming once in a while from the dash board on the passenger side. Toyota tried to fix the problem under warranty but the noise came back again in a short period of time. This is for the bad side.

Problems Galore
By aternie on 12/19/12 10:30 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this Tundra hoping to get that Toyota quality. At 45,000 miles, the radio just quit working. At 60,000 miles the drivers door lock actuator quit working immediately followed by the front passenger door lock actuator and then the drivers side rear door lock actuator. The driver's door is just a nuisance but the other doors are now totally useless since there are no keyholes for those doors. At 65,000 miles I have an oil leak and a water pump leak. In other words, at less than 80,000 miles, I have about $4,500.00 in repairs. So much for Toyota quality. As others have said, the body dents too easily. Other than that it is a powerful truck. I just would not recommend one.

Great Truck
By hounddoc on 12/08/12 21:39 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Toyota about a year ago with the original tires. Mine seem fine, so I'm not sure about previous reviews, besides who buys a full size pick-up for gas milage? The Tundra fits the bill in every sense. Great family truck, hauls and tows very nicely and looks great on the road with an aggressive front. Buy this now, you won't regret it!

1st truck and Disappointed
By hrs73 on 11/08/12 18:48 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first truck and I bought a Toyota for its reliability and hopefully good re-sale value. I have been very disappointed in the tires. I have 69k and need a third set of tires. The dealer blamed the alignment, so on the second set of tires they have done all the aligments. So now the dealership is blaming the tire maker. All I travel is roads and highways. I keep it aligned but the tires are wearing out unevenly. The radio was replaced twice and the truck has a bounce that has made my child car sick on two occasions. The truck dents easily and is not as good on gas mileage as I would hope a 6 cyclinder would be. I like the acceleration and the look of the truck.

amazing
By mreyes6868 on 08/14/11 11:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

i love my tundra, its fast, powerful, reliable, and good on gas. never had a single problem on it. the 5.7 liter v8 is the only way to go, tows like a dream, i tow my 10,000 lb toy hauler up steep hills doing 70mph..... in my 05 ford 6.0 turbo diesel towing the same trailer i had to go peddal to the floor up hills and speed would drop down to 40 mph. in my tundra i feel much safer than the ford and much more powerful, i have NEVER had to go peddal to the floor on my tundra. my ford overheated twice on me. my tundra tows my trailer in 100 degree weather up steep hills without any problems.MY TUNDRA TOWS 10000 LBS BETER THAN MY FREINDS DODGE RAM 1500 TOWING 4500 LBS. its the best truck ever

The best truck ever!
By m951 on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This truck has great gas mileage, a lot of horsepower, and a big towing capacity. It runs soo smooth and sounds so nice. I use it for towing sometimes and it never gives any trouble. I love the looks. Even after having it so long I still love it. Everyone gives me complements. I've had several trucks in my time and not 1 has ever came close to half of what the tundra is.

Pleased but not completely satisfied
By Big Jay on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The truck has done everything I have wanted it to do. It has performed well off road, on the highway and in the snow. I have put it to work hauling and towing and it has not failed me. As discussed below, Toyota put cheap tires on the truck. I shouldn't have to replace them at 25K. One of the tires had a crack in it. The local Firestone dealer told me that they tires were to light for the truck. If do your own general maintenance such as oil changes, you will hate Toyota. Changing the oil is time consuming and difficult. See below. I think the under-seat storage bin should be standard. I recommend it. The gas mileage has been as expected: 11-14 in town and 16-18 on the highway.

Transmission and acceleration
By JOHN on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Love the truck but it has some serious acceleration problems and transmission problems . With 19,000 miles on it I have to replace my tires . Previously owned to two Dodge rams and for the price rams are much better for everything but the ride. Toyota beats ram in ride and smoothness . Toyota way to expensive. For that type of truck. The biggest downfall is the sensitive gas pedal . Very dangerous

Way Overrated
By David on 07/25/10 07:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first and last Toyota truck. GMC has forgotten more about trucks than Toyota knows.

Like the truck but has problems
By JLP on 04/06/10 10:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

First Toyota truck I have ever owned. And probably last! I use it to pull my horse trailer and it does that well. But so did my Chevrolet and the Chevy would hold an alignment. Tundra wont. Had 4 alignments done in less than 2 years. Still wearing tires out way to soon. Dealer blames it on bad roads. Chevy was able to hold up to roads. Thought Toyota was supposed to be built better. Also, radio turned off and on by itself. Got it replaced, but lite still goes off and on. Really disappointed dealer cant fix alignment problem. Even took it to another tire place. Thought problem was fixed. After 3000 miles, tires are cupping again already and can feel it pulling. Ridiculous!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Tundra Double-cab in NJ is:

$242 per month*