Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Excellent
By dufour

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my truck 3 years ago. It has 29 km. I pull a camper (5200 pounds) and the tundra is doing a great job. Gaz millage is high but what else can I expect from a 5.7 liters engine. The power is impressive. This is my third toyota truck (old tacoma V6 3.0 and the last model V6 4.0 liter) and I have no fear about atrting the engine even when I going to my cabin on winter and start it after a week end of minus 35 (I live in northern Quebec).I change to rear brakes at 51km and a little noise is coming once in a while from the dash board on the passenger side. Toyota tried to fix the problem under warranty but the noise came back again in a short period of time. This is for the bad side.

Favorite Features

Engine is just great and the fiability is there.

Suggested Improvements

Chassis should be stronger

Problems Galore
By aternie

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this Tundra hoping to get that Toyota quality. At 45,000 miles, the radio just quit working. At 60,000 miles the drivers door lock actuator quit working immediately followed by the front passenger door lock actuator and then the drivers side rear door lock actuator. The driver's door is just a nuisance but the other doors are now totally useless since there are no keyholes for those doors. At 65,000 miles I have an oil leak and a water pump leak. In other words, at less than 80,000 miles, I have about $4,500.00 in repairs. So much for Toyota quality. As others have said, the body dents too easily. Other than that it is a powerful truck. I just would not recommend one.

Favorite Features

Very Powerful truck. Nice and roomy cab.

Suggested Improvements

Better job of engineering a full sized truck.

Great Truck
By hounddoc

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Toyota about a year ago with the original tires. Mine seem fine, so I'm not sure about previous reviews, besides who buys a full size pick-up for gas milage? The Tundra fits the bill in every sense. Great family truck, hauls and tows very nicely and looks great on the road with an aggressive front. Buy this now, you won't regret it!

1st truck and Disappointed
By hrs73

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first truck and I bought a Toyota for its reliability and hopefully good re-sale value. I have been very disappointed in the tires. I have 69k and need a third set of tires. The dealer blamed the alignment, so on the second set of tires they have done all the aligments. So now the dealership is blaming the tire maker. All I travel is roads and highways. I keep it aligned but the tires are wearing out unevenly. The radio was replaced twice and the truck has a bounce that has made my child car sick on two occasions. The truck dents easily and is not as good on gas mileage as I would hope a 6 cyclinder would be. I like the acceleration and the look of the truck.

Favorite Features

The look, acceleration, turning ability, roomy inside.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, hold alignments, better gas mileage, and need little to no bounce.

amazing
By mreyes6868

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

i love my tundra, its fast, powerful, reliable, and good on gas. never had a single problem on it. the 5.7 liter v8 is the only way to go, tows like a dream, i tow my 10,000 lb toy hauler up steep hills doing 70mph..... in my 05 ford 6.0 turbo diesel towing the same trailer i had to go peddal to the floor up hills and speed would drop down to 40 mph. in my tundra i feel much safer than the ford and much more powerful, i have NEVER had to go peddal to the floor on my tundra. my ford overheated twice on me. my tundra tows my trailer in 100 degree weather up steep hills without any problems.MY TUNDRA TOWS 10000 LBS BETER THAN MY FREINDS DODGE RAM 1500 TOWING 4500 LBS. its the best truck ever

Favorite Features

engine, transmission, easy lift/lower tail gait, bead liner

Suggested Improvements

larger fuel tank would be more convenient when towing.