Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Tundra
By wyldfyre

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

the Tundra continues on and on!
By Donald

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

No more Toyotas for me!
By Glenn MacNichol

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I am a Toyota fan from way back. At the time I purchased my 2008 Tundra, new, my family owned three Toyotas, and my extended family owned 7 more. I was quite excited to replace my 1999 F150 with a Tundra, planning to keep it for a long time, lots of miles.

I was quite disappointed with the result. I purchased through Mike Johnson Toyota, Hickory NC in 2008. Within a week of driving the truck I noticed unpredictable acceleration, as if the transmission would downshift and upshift at incorrect times. At times, this was dangerous, say, when pressing the accelerator into a turn at an intersection. I brought it to the dealership, and was told I would 'get used to it,' that 'it will learn.' It never learned, and the dealer refused to acknowledge a problem. I later moved, and a second dealer's chief mechanic agreed it was not normal, but also stated that when he had worked on such problems in the past, it did not always correct, and he would need the regional manager to weigh in. Well, the regional manager never responded to my inquiry, and 8 years later the problem is not fixed, and never even officially acknowledged by Toyota. I drive the vehicle only when I need, mostly on the highway, but it is by far the WORST DRIVING truck I have ever owned.

Also, radio/aux input failed within 6 mo of purchase. Dealer stated covered under warranty, but radios were on backorder. I finally got one after 2 years, only to find the aux input was also defective, independent of the radio. Dealer would not fix it, stating it was 'no longer under warranty.'

Also, dealer sold me a bedliner, which cracked in the corner before seeing any hauling use. Dealer noted it was 'aftermarket' and Toyota was not responsible for it, and dealer would not stand behind the product they sold.

All the while I tried unsuccessfully to get these problems fixed, dealer repeatedly provided me with unwanted 'Recall repairs' I guess because Toyota was paying them to provide them.

Toyota makes mostly good vehicles, but when a lemon comes off the assembly line they and their dealerships turn a deaf ear.

2-3 stars for the Tundra, zero stars for Toyota as a company.

Since 2008, I have purchased Honda, Hyundai, and am looking at an F150 to replace the Tundra soon.

loud noise at start up
By dscarpola@comcast.net

2008 Toyota Tundra Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

i just bought 2008 tundra 5.7 with 164000 when i start makes loud rattling noise for about 3 seconds then stops. After started if i listen close i can here what i think are the lifters making slight noise. My mechanic did not listen to it but when i told him he said i will need to replace motor soon that because who ever owned it before me didn't change oil enough clogged up timing chain, said it could lock up engine in a week or 2 years, and told me to purchase a 36 mo. engine replacement warrantee with him since i have 30 days to get one. all the forums I've been too says this is common to 5.7 and toyota knows it. I guess i am ok with noise just do not want motor blow mechanic says it could cost up 13k to replace

great truck only one problem gas tank to small
By pappapump1313

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I luv my truck but I'm limited on distance before I run out of gas you would think Toyota would be smarter bigger truck bigger tank and I can't add an auxiliary tank because of emissions so I have to carry gas cans when in the mountains or desert especially pulling my toy hauler because that gas goes to my toys glad my son needs a truck I'm buying a F250