Almost a tough off-road truck
By Southern Ranch Truck on
2007 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
Bought this hoping to find a rugged, reliable truck that could handle hardcore ranch work - in 4WD most of the time, pulling trailers, hauling a full bed load, running off-road - and the results have been mixed (but better than my previous Silverado and F-250 and my current Dodge Ram 2500). Can't complain about the HP, torque and towing - best I've owned. Have begun to experience reliability problems - not very Toyota-like. Biggest complaint is that the off-road/4WD features are more for show than for utility. I've replaced skid plat twice, bent the hitch, tow hooks are inconvenient, plastic dam gets in the way. If they'd offer a true tough work truck they'd capture the market.
Favorite Features
HP, towing ability, interior styling and room are best of any truck I've owned. Love the cushion-drop tailgate. Workmanship and reliability is also slightly better, but not up to previous Toyota standards. Body metal is OK. They'd do well to consult with offroaders on improvements to toughen-up.
Suggested Improvements
The factory "skid plate" is a joke: slightly thicker than aluminum foil; the other off-road features are marginally better. Also need to beef-up the radiator and transmission cooling system. They really need to upgrade this entire package dramatically - maybe offer a true off-road or ranch edition.