Poor Gas Mileage - Less than EPA Rating
By Robert on
2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)
My wife and I are both Toyota owners. My wife owns a 2003 Avalon, while I have access to the 4.7L V8 engine 2006 Tundra. I have really been disappointed with actual fuel mileage compared to rated fuel mileage for the Tundra. This issue looms even larger in light of the higher fuel prices over 2005 prices. Actual highway mileage is 14-15 mpg, while the EPA fuel rating is 18-20 mpg for higway driving. Actual city mileage is poor. The Tundra's turning radius is also problematic. Typical u-turns from a two way street or highway onto a two way street or hignway are virtually impossible without having to turn and backup.
Favorite Features
The interior of the vehicle and exterior body style are eye catching, and the ride is comforatable. Leg room is adequate. A bit pricey at present fuel performance. Resolving the fuel issue and other issues named below in the next comment field, would undoubtedly make this a highly coveted truck.
Suggested Improvements
The three speed transmission shifts into third gear at approximately 55 miles per hour and seems to turn high rpms because of its inability to shift out at a lower speed. This is perhaps one of the problems with in-city fuel performance. Improve fuel, turnability, and transmission performance.