Not a work truck
By tommy2 on
2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)
Truck is nice to have parked in your driveway so that your friends can praise it's style. But don't hook up a 4500lb loaded trailer or put 20 sheets of 1/2" plywood in the back. It will strain and groan to get going, and by the way, don't pass any gas stations when loaded. Otherwise, it is nice and quiet, ride is smooth, takes pumps well, and stops when you need to. I have 4000 miles in 5 weeks, and will be trading it off next month for a truck that I can use for my work
Favorite Features
Style, interior, quiet ride.. Engine compartment is roomy and vitals are to check. High rails on cargo bed great for large items.
Suggested Improvements
Shift pattern for loaded truck. Have to tap the accelerator to get it to shift up at 45 MPH as engine is winding out around 3500 RPM's. Insulating strips on bottom of door falling off. Need better attachment method..
By fj80
on 12/07/11 22:14 PM (PST)

I agree the stock rear suspension is not quite strong enough to handle this kind of load, I have done it before but as you have mentioned I would not recommend it. I have installed a helper springs in the rear and that totally changed the way the truck would handle with or without any load. I have towed 7000 lbs generators with mine and had no issues after the spring was added.