2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Review: Good but not great

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Review

SR5 Double Cab (4.7L V8 5-speed Automatic 6.2 ft. Bed)

Good but not great
By Dan on

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle just over two years. I had an 03 access cab but with a growing family, needed the extra room. I mostly drive in the city and I am averaging around 17 MPG. I would of liked a bit more. The paint, while not bad, easily dings and scratches. Parking, as has been mentioned before, is a chore, so I park way out at most places. The transmission seems to have a hard time finding the correct gear, specially when using the cruise. The automatic downshifting when going downhill is also annoying. Otherwise, I wish it had a little better acceleration. Also, it eats front tires. Alignment OK though. Overall, decent truck, but it doesn't really stand out in any particular category.

Roomy, very comfortable. No mechanical problems. A 7/8 truck size is perfect for me.

Not available in 2007, but better gas mileage, better acceleration, hyper- shifting transmission, nicer interior design, better factory equipped tires (Dunlop Grand Trek are junk).