Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Good but not great
By Dan

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle just over two years. I had an 03 access cab but with a growing family, needed the extra room. I mostly drive in the city and I am averaging around 17 MPG. I would of liked a bit more. The paint, while not bad, easily dings and scratches. Parking, as has been mentioned before, is a chore, so I park way out at most places. The transmission seems to have a hard time finding the correct gear, specially when using the cruise. The automatic downshifting when going downhill is also annoying. Otherwise, I wish it had a little better acceleration. Also, it eats front tires. Alignment OK though. Overall, decent truck, but it doesn't really stand out in any particular category.

Roomy, very comfortable. No mechanical problems. A 7/8 truck size is perfect for me.

Not available in 2007, but better gas mileage, better acceleration, hyper- shifting transmission, nicer interior design, better factory equipped tires (Dunlop Grand Trek are junk).

By Pete

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I posted back on 4/30/06 and I wanted to comment again. I've owned my Tundra 2 1/2 years now and I'm totally satisfied. I did put flowmasters 70 series (duals) on it and I'm very pleased. Additionally, I did put a K&N filter in it as well. I like the sound of it but more importantly my MPG is decent now. I don't drive like a race car driver but I do use it like a truck. City driving I get 16-17. Highway is 19 to 22. Here is the secret... 70 MPH is where I stop getting 20 MPG or better. It drops down to 18-19 MPG.

I like everything about my truck. I have no intentions of trading it in.

It still bugs me about no transmission dipstick but I just had my 30,000 mile service down and the fluid was just fine. The only other item that I'm looking at now is raising the front end to be be level with the rear. I like 4x4s to be the same height.

This truck rocks!
By Rufus

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The more I drive it, the more I like it! I Just took a trip to a wild park north of where I live, 400 kilometers round trip, I was driving normally, using the air conditioning, I got 23.5 miles per gallon, U.S. gallons, I think that is pretty good! I use it to haul my snowmobile up to the mountains and drive to work. I just put a K&N reusable air filter on it this week, I noticed a little more snap off the line, but it was already a very quick little truck. All in all I am very happy with it.

The ride and the performance, nice colour!!

Brakes could be better, sound system could be better.

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited
By Mikon

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Salsa Red color is gorgeous. The 4-wheel drive is as impeccable as my 2000 Tundra Access Cab. The ride is quiet and comfortable at all speeds. My wife loves the heated seats and steering wheel-mounted radion controls. Great visibility (taller than my 2000 Tundra vecause of the 18" wheels). The power rear window is great (and quiet) for open air driving. Hardly know my boat trailer is there when pulling it. Mileage is excellent (18.3 mpg overall since purchase).

Comfort and quietness on long drives, never seem tired after a long haul. Good sound system. Steady, well controlled handling/steering. Great traction off-road when 4-wheeling to mountain lakes for fishing. Lockable and removeable tailgate. Great ground clearance.

None found to date!

Great Truck
By rlhill96

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned both Ford and Chevys in the past and the '06 Tundra SR5 Double Cab is by far the best I have ever owned. Only two complaints, fuel mileage and turning radius. Both of these are minor complaints due to the fact that this is a big truck, and you cant expect to get mileage in the 20's with something this size or expect to turn it like a corolla. I sure when (if) I wear this one out, I will be purchasing another full size Toyota. It is extremely comfortable and fun to drive and has plenty of power to haul my needs.

Power roll down rear window, lots of storage, comfortable ride.

Fuel mileage and turning radius. Don't mess with anything else.