2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Great deals on 06 4x4 SR5 DC
By TC on 02/12/07 14:26 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got a great deal on a remaining 06 DC 4x4 SR5 which was pretty loaded up. Here's the positives about the truck: great back seat room compard to 07 DC, larger bed than upcoming Crewmax, nice engine and tranny, unparalled resale value, lots of aftermarket items available, very good off road ability, fit and finish is perfect. Negatives: horrible gas mileage so far, outdated dash board and controls, higher than average TSBs and recalls, cloth seats seem cheap, center console rounded, not good for work.

ridin' squeaky
By matt pohle on 02/11/07 20:01 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have had for 3500 miles now. Super smooth ride for off-road suspension, great looks, comfortable interior, ample get up & go V-8. Poor MPG for small 4.7 liter V-8 (avg. 13-14 mpg). Recurring problem w/ VERY noisy serpentine belt. Have had back at dealer 2 times now in less than a month, have 3rd appt. scheduled for same problem. Dealer says it's either faulty belt or belt tensioner (both have been replaced). Either way, didn't expect to have such a problem w/ a "reliable" Toyota that cost me over $30k.

Poor Gas Milage
By Tony Thomas on 02/11/07 16:33 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck looks and runs great. I've gotten a few compliments on the looks. Braking is very good. Only 14-MPG city. That's very little stop & go driving & very disappointing. The other problem is the wide turning radius. U-turns are a big problem, they turn into K-turns.

Am I the only one
By L EDMONDS on 01/29/07 22:43 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new in Dec. 2005 and I have been very disappointed in the transmission and brakes. The brakes feel spongy and occasionally the brake pedal will sink way down and I feel like vehicle isn't going to stop, probably a problem with the ABS. Also the transmission sticks in gear and is very slow to shift into the next gear. When accelerating I have had the RPMS redline because the tranny is not shifting but stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. Erratic and jerky shifting on tranny. Sometimes it will shift into 5th gear when I am only going 25 or 30 MPH.

Tight and solid quality counts
By Stan on 01/25/07 23:10 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the quality feel and tight solid body of this truck. I owned an 02 Tundra and was very happy, but the 06 is much peppier, with more horsepower and the new 5 speed transmission is beautifully geared to keep the engine in the proper torque range, so it performs very very well. It's extremely quiet - no wind or engine noise. Nice ride. Got 18 mpg driving 200 miles home from dealer, in spite of over an hour idling along in a huge traffic jam. It's not as roomy or comfortable as the Titan or the Ram 1500, wont haul as much. But I haul only occasional light weight trailers, so a 7/8 size truck fits my needs perfectly. Love it

2006 Tundra double cab
By Don on 01/25/07 21:16 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am very happy with Toyota build quality. (Camry = 240K 4Runner = 85K) I like almost everything about this vehicle. The ride is excellent. It is smooth and quite. It has plenty of interior room. Rear seat has more room than my Suburban rear seat. Plenty of power for the engine size. Cruises well on the interstate. Pulls and hauls well. The truck came with just the few options I wanted. I wanted a truck not a limo. After shopping I found this vehicle for just a few hundred more than a Chevy with the same options. Everyone that rides in it comments on the ride quality. Radio/CD is OK but not great. Need a football field to turn it around. Parking is tough. It sits a little too high.

Stepside Tundra 4x4
By Truck Man on 01/23/07 12:54 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Only two complaints: Toyota does not offer a manual tranny for the V8, and the performance leaves something to be desired. This truck is light years better than the domestics I have had.

Quality ?
By Tom Bergklint on 01/21/07 11:52 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Tundra 4dr 4WD in 12/06 brand new. I previously owned a 2002 access cab 4WD. The quality of this Tundra is inferior to my 2002. I have a shifter lever that doesn't like to let the key out, heater controls that work hard, and an A/C that didn't work when I got it. The truck is nice riding, but huge to try to parallel park. The gas mileage is only 15-16 and really needs improvement. I wish I would have kept my 2002 and I hope that Toyota's quality is not starting to slip. I still have not received the questionaire from Toyota asking me how I like my truck. I plan on letting them know about the difference in quality from my 2002 to this 2006.

No quality no reliability
By Ed on 01/20/07 17:08 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a Chevy Silverado for a Toyota Tundra. What a mistake! The 4 wheel drive broke after 200 miles. One week in the shop to install new control unit and front axle engaging device. Now the dashboard has a rattle in it and the fan is making a ticking noise. So far two trips to dealer have not resolved the problem. I have a Camry and love it. Toyota needs to stick to making cars and leave the truck building to some one else.

I LOVE my Tundra!!!
By kimbolykaye on 01/20/07 00:19 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I test drove just about every model in every make. I had the salesman drive while I sat in the back seat to test its "passenger friendliness" as my other cars failed horribly in that aspect. We went over 2 speedbumps and barely felt it. As a driver, it is absolutely a comfort to drive. I love that the back window rolls down and that it's not too high so that my kids to get in and out easily. I have always had large vehicles and this is by far the best one I have ever driven. The turning radius for a large truck is nice, too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.