Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Smooth Ride
By Pop

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Limited 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Durable and reliable, this truck rides like a nice sedan. Radio remote on steering wheel changes am, fm, cd, volume, stations. Nice large console. Lockable bed. Large size takes getting used to if you haven't been driving a large truck. Mileage is not good but is typical of a large pickup.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, radio controls, back seats fold up for storage.

Suggested Improvements

Floorboard lights should be standard equipment.

I love my Tundra
By TruHuSKa

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Thus far, I love this truck. I've owned it for 2 weeks and love getting in it to drive to work, home, anywhere! The sound of the V8 humming is great. The feel of the Off-road suspension is nice and stiff, but not overly stiff. There's plenty of get-up and you feel as if the truck is always pushing forward as you accelerate (that is, the automatic shifts very smoothly without loosing any power during shifts). Turning corners are a breeze in this truck. While driving, you feel on top of the world with the 17" wheels and rims added to the 4x4 off-road suspension. All-in-all, this truck is a dream to drive and overall, gas mileage isn't too bad for a truck. I'd highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

I love the fog lamps, off-road suspension, acceleration, overall feel of driving the truck.

Suggested Improvements

I would obviously improve on gas mileage, but hey, it's a truck so what do you expect. And I would improve the paint quality. My paint is nice, but it's easily scratched noted by the small nicks and slight scratches on some areas of the vehicle. Otherwise, this truck is a dream to own.

Love this truck
By truckie124

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in 2008 with 18000 miles and have put 30000 on it since then. I used it for 2 years for my carpentry business. Rear sliding window came in handy picking up lumber. My father has a 2004 SR5 and the 2006 rides much more car-like than the 2004. It really feels smooth and is an all around great truck. Used to drive a Chevy but had problems with the transmission at 30K miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything for us (after our family had bought 4 cars from them). Will never go back after driving this truck! I love this thing!

Favorite Features

Pros: Reliable, Smooth ride, powerful enough for what most will use it for (this includes contractors), spacious rear seat (for an access cab), 6 cup holders for people like me who drink a lot of coffee, logical controls, great performance in snow in 4wd, looks awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Cons: tire pressure sensor light problematic and is a nuisance feature, seatbelts don't retract well, poor interior lighting (very hard to see or read anything at night, poor turning radius when parking. Occasional hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear in upshift and downshift.

Another great Toyota truck!!
By huladog

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My previous Toyota truck was a 1992 4WD V6 with a 5-speed. I racked up over 285,000 miles on it with no problems. Take care of your Toyota, it will take care of you. Same has held true for my 2006 Tundra. I found an extremely rare 2006 SR5 Access Cab with the 4.0L and a 6-speed manual transmission and had to have it. Bought it in 2011 with 181,000 miles. Miles mean nothing on Toyotas if they have been maintained. Replaced the shocks with Bilstein HD's (Yellow), and it made it ride like a new truck! With 220,000 miles on it, I am ready to declare my Tundra the worthy successor to the Beast! Had one single failure, a bad coil, which was easy to replace. 400,000 here I come!

Favorite Features

Smooth power from 4.0L engine Roomy and comfortable Smooth, quiet ride and great noise isolation Accurate steering makes highway cruising easy Very tight turning radius compared to competition Love my Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade to performance brake pads for measurable improvement in performance. Dash material a little plasticky. Durable, but can scratch Stock sound system is pretty weak

Update to my first review
By Jim

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am liking my truck more every day! I get at least 20 mpg just doing every day driving, and I don't drive slow. I have had some short races with some supposed to be fast vehicles, so far I can leave them in the dust! Overall I think it is an awesome truck!

Favorite Features

Very quick from a dead stop, and fast as hell from 100 kph to 160 kph.

Suggested Improvements

Just those brakes! And the stereo is not much fun.