2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Great Truck
By Garf on 11/15/07 22:26 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had it for a year and I really enjoy it. Live in SA hillcountry and tow 6300lbs TT and get 10MPG with 89 octane. Very solid towing truck with plenty of torque on the climbs. 3 large adults and 1 small child and a dog share most of the ride and all give it a thumbs up. I like the transmission brake or downshift with descents, it helps with controlling the vehicle.

Excellent Vehicle
By Sam on 10/17/07 13:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Overall it's a good truck, I sacrificed comfort for durability. Driver seat is not comfortable and interior design is not very good but the ride is excellent.

Good All-Around Truck
By Jake on 09/07/07 07:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck at the end of 2006. I love the ride this truck has, and the power is sufficient to pull my 5,000 lb boat. The truck does downshift when going down hills, but besides that, I've had no problems. Gas mileage is a little lower than I'd hoped for. I only get close to 18 mpg highway when I've got cruise control on going no faster than 60. Good truck overall.

Solid Value for the Money
By Bob on 07/09/07 18:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck new, drove 15,000 miles and waited almost a year to do this review. Have also read other reviews. Yes, the transmission shift points and brakes took time to get used to, but now that I am used to them, I better appreciate the way they are designed and operate - and I like them. Tows my 6,000 lb boat and trailer adequately. Highway ride is great - I prefer over my wife's Lexus GX 470. Gas mileage has met my expectations at 17-18 mpg around town and on the road (reason I do not trade up for a 07 big engine). What I especially like is the value for the price: leather, stability control, side curtain air bags and all the practical accessories I needed.

Bought it for the ride
By Charlie P on 07/09/07 10:48 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned this since 1/06. Very comfortable ride! Lots of compliments on the mica blue color. Have been waiting a LONG TIME to get the recall work done (front suspension lower ball joints. Dealership says parts are back ordered). Could not get the running boards I originally ordered either - waited 6 mos. and then was told that the dealership no longer used that supplier. Settled for the "tube" type. Agree with most other reviewers - u-turns are K- turns! Really like the overall handling, braking is good, feel very safe in traffic.

Solid Truck
By Good truck on 06/11/07 20:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

If you don't need a large engine for hauling loads, this is a solid vehicle. The performance has been good thus far. MPG is a bit lower than I'd like for a smaller V8. Interior features are decent. So far it has been what I would expect from Toyota.

So far, so good
By FunPro on 06/01/07 17:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 SR5 (4dr) in December. It has more than enough power, better than average comfort for a truck, and I like the look. It would be easy to complain about the mileage, but I do not believe anyone ever purchased a full size truck because it got good gas mileage. Therefore, I only have two concerns. When idling down a hill, almost any hill, it often shifts into a lower gear and the RPMs jump up to 3000+! The local dealership admitted to receiving complaints about this, but claimed there is no fix. Also, as others have stated, the turning radius is poor. If you are attempting a u-turn, make sure you have MORE than 2 lanes to your left.

Almost Worth The Wait
By Jack on 05/10/07 09:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After researching both large and small trucks for the last few years, the decision came down to the Tundra because of its build quality and price. Overall the truck is great. Great to drive, really comfortable and very quiet. I've only had a minor problem with the brake light sensor keeping the brake lights on. I'm extremely disappointed in the gas mileage, 12 in town and 15 on the road (its only a 2WD). I would have been happy with 16/18. Makes me wonder how this may affect the engine over time. Got 20 years out of my last truck, but I'm not sure yet how this Tundra will fare over time.

06 Tundra Crew
By apcamby on 04/04/07 22:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome truck, good power, great ride, very comfortable, useful features, I would recommend this truck to anyone in the large truck market.

Wow, not what I had expected
By Zack on 03/02/07 05:31 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not sure what I've got myself into. I'm on the verge of chalking this one up as a huge disappointment. The exhaust sounds like it has a leak and is consistently loud at low speeds. The brakes don't act right, stop fine, but front to back seem to engage at different times. Have noticed a slight lean in the rear of the bed. Front end ride was nice and firm at first, but getting sloppy and coarse - worse with loads. What I had expected was a no frills, solidly built, refined truck. I really can't say that's what I got. Now I have the headache of dealing with the dealership to try to address these problems. Bought new w/7miles on OD. 91 oct req'd 4 quiet engine.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.