Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

'06 Tundra One Reliable Truck
By Don Stowe

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Tundra, owned the 2000 when it first came out, with never a problem. The '06 had recall for new lower ball joints, never had a problem with it. The 2000 was never in the shop, not once. The '06 as a recall as mentioned and 2 oil changes but I usually do my own. This is one reliable truck very responsive and tough with good fuel economy for its size. I would not hesitate to own another, sold on the quality of the vehicle. The ride is excellent, have made several trips to haul various things. Pulls my utility trailer loaded and with the bed loaded too very well. Can put a 1/2 ton on the tailgate and ride. The truck can haul a heavy load. Tundra is one solid truck.

Favorite Features

Quality in the interior with comfortable seat as well as a nicely finished interior. Sits up well and hauls a heavy load. Very dependable.

Wow, not what I had expected
By Zack

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not sure what I've got myself into. I'm on the verge of chalking this one up as a huge disappointment. The exhaust sounds like it has a leak and is consistently loud at low speeds. The brakes don't act right, stop fine, but front to back seem to engage at different times. Have noticed a slight lean in the rear of the bed. Front end ride was nice and firm at first, but getting sloppy and coarse - worse with loads. What I had expected was a no frills, solidly built, refined truck. I really can't say that's what I got. Now I have the headache of dealing with the dealership to try to address these problems. Bought new w/7miles on OD. 91 oct req'd 4 quiet engine.

Favorite Features

The potential of getting 22 mpg on highway (almost had it). Horsepower. It does fit my basic needs.

Suggested Improvements

With the name that Toyota has built, I almost feel guilty about complaining. Just thought I'd share, for what it's worth.

Poor Gas Milage
By Tony Thomas

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck looks and runs great. I've gotten a few compliments on the looks. Braking is very good. Only 14-MPG city. That's very little stop & go driving & very disappointing. The other problem is the wide turning radius. U-turns are a big problem, they turn into K-turns.

Favorite Features

Heated mirrors. Rugged sounding exhaust,quick acceleration. The back seat folds up fast & easy and is a good place to carry golf clubs.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, tighter turning radius.

Am I the only one
By L EDMONDS

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new in Dec. 2005 and I have been very disappointed in the transmission and brakes. The brakes feel spongy and occasionally the brake pedal will sink way down and I feel like vehicle isn't going to stop, probably a problem with the ABS. Also the transmission sticks in gear and is very slow to shift into the next gear. When accelerating I have had the RPMS redline because the tranny is not shifting but stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. Erratic and jerky shifting on tranny. Sometimes it will shift into 5th gear when I am only going 25 or 30 MPH.

Favorite Features

Ride is excellent and seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve braking system and Electronic Transmission control. Also my A/C went out after only owning for a few months.

Tight and solid quality counts
By Stan

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the quality feel and tight solid body of this truck. I owned an 02 Tundra and was very happy, but the 06 is much peppier, with more horsepower and the new 5 speed transmission is beautifully geared to keep the engine in the proper torque range, so it performs very very well. It's extremely quiet - no wind or engine noise. Nice ride. Got 18 mpg driving 200 miles home from dealer, in spite of over an hour idling along in a huge traffic jam. It's not as roomy or comfortable as the Titan or the Ram 1500, wont haul as much. But I haul only occasional light weight trailers, so a 7/8 size truck fits my needs perfectly. Love it

Favorite Features

Superior build quality. No rattles. Quiet, nice ride, engine & 5-speed performs beautifully, tight and solid, handles very well. Reliable. Relatively good mileage (18) first 200 mile trip.

Suggested Improvements

See the 07 Tundra. I went for the 06. 2500 rebate. 06 is big enough for me - has been built for several years. No bugs.