2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Love My truck
By DHoward96 on 03/12/09 00:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the truck more and more everyday. I bought it 7/31/06. I was a Chevy man to the core, traded a 00 Silverado ext. cab to get this truck. I have used it to tow everything from my 24 ft. pontoon to my 25 ft. camper. I tested 06 Silverado and Ram crew cabs, they didn't compare to this truck overall. Had a bigger bed than the 06 Silverado and interior is just as comfortable. All the Dodge had going for it was that gas-sucking hemi. Toyota in my opinion had it beat everywhere else. If Toyota ever produces a diesel, I will never drive anything else. That is the only way you will ever get decent fuel mileage towing a camper. Great looking truck too. Large truck fuel economy though.

Fifth, but Last ,Toyota Pickup
By red rider on 01/04/09 20:45 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my fifth Toyota truck. It is not as reliable as the other four. Delivered it with a badly warped disc brake rotor. I had the front rotors replaced. I also had the recalled ball joints replaced. Now, at 18,000 miles, the outside of the right front tire is worn bald. The auto-dimming rear view mirror and the Homelink circuits have been repaired twice.

First V8 Truck
By Hayden on 11/26/08 15:00 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I really missed not having a truck for the past 5 years. With the $4 a gallon gas I found some amazing deals out there on barely used trucks. I usually commute on a 52mpg motorcycle so fuel mileage is irrelevant to me. Having said that I average 19.1 gallons in the tundra with a easy driving style. It will get over 20mpg on road trips @70-75 mph. I wanted a double cab with at least a 6' bed which ruled out a lot of trucks. I drove a dodge and ford but they seemed to lack refinement and power. Overall I am very happy with the truck its the limited so its loaded with very nice JBL 6 disc changer, plenty of interior room, excellent ride smooth and quiet.

So Far So Good
By R.Kuehner on 11/12/08 08:03 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle new, V8 with TRD package. It came with a 3" lift kit and 20" rims from the dealer. I'm averaging 16 mpg. The odometer is off by .1 and the odometer by 5 mph due to bigger wheels/tires. Plan to try K&N air filter and maybe a performance muffler such as Flomaster. Overall the truck handles well and is fun to drive. I have as good or better ground clearance than stock 4x4's from other manufacturers. I replaced the radio/CD player but kept the stock speakers as they sound pretty good.

Update to my first review
By Jim on 10/13/08 09:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am liking my truck more every day! I get at least 20 mpg just doing every day driving, and I don't drive slow. I have had some short races with some supposed to be fast vehicles, so far I can leave them in the dust! Overall I think it is an awesome truck!

Surprising workhorse/pony
By papabotts on 08/30/08 21:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this surprisingly powerful workhorse for 2.5 yrs. now and and quite pleased. It hauls like a truck but drives like a car. It has power and the rear sliding window handles 20 foot boards. I've hauled full pallets of wallstone with little sway. Perfect for work and family. Only problems have been large turning radius and transmission with cruise on gets finicky. Test drove a Titan, a Ram and F-150 and pleased with my selection. Have power everything, all works great. Cup holders 4 full crew,plenty of storage compartments all over the place. Truck NOT heavy duty, but hauls well. Fuel 16c-19 hwy

Worth the Money
By Bryan G. on 07/30/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck new; despite the updated bodystyle, this truck gets looks. Purchased the XSP package, everyone asks me about the 20" tires & rims. I tell them it came with the package. Truck has been extremely reliable, will tow & carry whatever I need it to. Do not drive much (only about 7K per year), the gas mileage is what it is; a consistent 15 mpg around town.

Good but not great
By Dan on 07/04/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle just over two years. I had an 03 access cab but with a growing family, needed the extra room. I mostly drive in the city and I am averaging around 17 MPG. I would of liked a bit more. The paint, while not bad, easily dings and scratches. Parking, as has been mentioned before, is a chore, so I park way out at most places. The transmission seems to have a hard time finding the correct gear, specially when using the cruise. The automatic downshifting when going downhill is also annoying. Otherwise, I wish it had a little better acceleration. Also, it eats front tires. Alignment OK though. Overall, decent truck, but it doesn't really stand out in any particular category.

By Pete on 06/22/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I posted back on 4/30/06 and I wanted to comment again. I've owned my Tundra 2 1/2 years now and I'm totally satisfied. I did put flowmasters 70 series (duals) on it and I'm very pleased. Additionally, I did put a K&N filter in it as well. I like the sound of it but more importantly my MPG is decent now. I don't drive like a race car driver but I do use it like a truck. City driving I get 16-17. Highway is 19 to 22. Here is the secret... 70 MPH is where I stop getting 20 MPG or better. It drops down to 18-19 MPG.

This truck rocks!
By Rufus on 06/18/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The more I drive it, the more I like it! I Just took a trip to a wild park north of where I live, 400 kilometers round trip, I was driving normally, using the air conditioning, I got 23.5 miles per gallon, U.S. gallons, I think that is pretty good! I use it to haul my snowmobile up to the mountains and drive to work. I just put a K&N reusable air filter on it this week, I noticed a little more snap off the line, but it was already a very quick little truck. All in all I am very happy with it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.