Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Great Truck
By philip603

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Most reliable truck I have owned. Real fun to drive. Have to deal with drive line bumping when stopped which I understand is common for 2006 trucks from Toyota and Ford. Not a problem in terms of performance or safety. Just an annoyance. Performs more like a car. Last year of a true midsized pickup. 2007 they went huge with Tundra. It is a great size for functionality, comfort and handling.

Favorite Features

Handling. Look of the step-side design. Nice size (not too big, not too small)

Brakes are TERRIBLE
By Used 2 Love Toyota

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought it new, and it ran like a dream. Then at about 20-25K miles, the brakes started going bad. On slippery roads, whenever I stepped on the brake pedal, it'd seize up and the truck would take forever to stop. Brought it to the dealer, who said the brakes are perfect. Dealt with it for another 40K miles (yes, I should've gotten rid of it). It's at the point that when there's even the slightest bit of rain or snow on the road, the whole truck shakes violently when I try to brake. Tried pressing my entire weight on the brake, and the truck slowly comes to a stop. I've almost gotten killed twice. Google it. You'll see. Total nightmare. Dealer says it's "normal for this model".

Best Truck Ever
By Matt

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a Ford, and a Chevy truck this Tundra by far is the best I have owned. Mine has the bench with the fold down arm rest and I love it. I fit six pretty big guys in there with no problem. I have pulled trailers that weighed close to 6500 lbs and it felt like nothing was back there...The truck is rated kind of low for towing but I think it can handle most loads...I actually average about 19.2 mpg overall and thats a 6 month avg. Low maintenance Great overall truck...We are Toyota Family and would recommend this truck to anyone looking for one. I am ready for my next one in about 20 years.........

Favorite Features

Mpg, Reliability, the whole truck is great

Suggested Improvements

For me I cant think of anything....I like bench seats though some say its not all that comfy and I can see that as I get older......

I love my Tundra
By TruHuSKa

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Thus far, I love this truck. I've owned it for 2 weeks and love getting in it to drive to work, home, anywhere! The sound of the V8 humming is great. The feel of the Off-road suspension is nice and stiff, but not overly stiff. There's plenty of get-up and you feel as if the truck is always pushing forward as you accelerate (that is, the automatic shifts very smoothly without loosing any power during shifts). Turning corners are a breeze in this truck. While driving, you feel on top of the world with the 17" wheels and rims added to the 4x4 off-road suspension. All-in-all, this truck is a dream to drive and overall, gas mileage isn't too bad for a truck. I'd highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

I love the fog lamps, off-road suspension, acceleration, overall feel of driving the truck.

Suggested Improvements

I would obviously improve on gas mileage, but hey, it's a truck so what do you expect. And I would improve the paint quality. My paint is nice, but it's easily scratched noted by the small nicks and slight scratches on some areas of the vehicle. Otherwise, this truck is a dream to own.

New old Tundra
By fossilfinder66

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Because it was such a beast to park, we traded our 2004 Tundra crew cab for a new Frontier but later missed the cushy Tundra ride. Several weeks ago we purchased a 2006 Access Cab with only 12,800 miles. It has the very comfortable captain's chairs with the short console. What a pleasure to take a trip in this baby. I was leary of getting the V-6 but the 5 speed automatic is programmed to work very well with this engine. Every power option works as a Toyota is expected to work. Even the back seats are large enough for small adults or grandchildren. This is a "real truck" without the bulk of other full size brands or the bounce of the smaller trucks.

Favorite Features

A real truck that's 7/8 the size of other full-sized trucks, yet it is not a small truck either. All the Toyota brand quality and reliability is there.

Suggested Improvements

Removable rear seat headrests to improve rear vision. Too late now but put shifter in center console. Owner's manual is totally incorrect on end piece for lowering the spare tire. This should have been corrected long ago.