Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Highly Recommend
By Lovin it!

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had been looking at all the big diesel trucks (Dodge, Ford, Chevy) but I found for 99.9% of what I needed to do this truck would be more than enough. The Toyota reputation really drew me to this truck and hasn't let me down. The only bummer is the mileage (I am getting 15 in mixed driving) but everything else is great.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, rear passenger room (2 car seats and 1 adult comfortably) more than enough power, pretty quiet for a truck, the simplicity of the dash and controls and the forced downshift when you hit the brakes going down hill.

Suggested Improvements

The headrests are in a weird angle and not adjustable forward and backward. I really had to think.

Great Pickup
By COTundra

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I really consider this an over-powered small pickup. The truck really does not compete with traditional full-sized US manufactured pickups. Towing cap. is mid-range to low at 6500 lbs., but perfect for my needs: towing snowmobiles, quads, camper, etc. A great truck for long trips from sea level to the continental divide, with toys in tow, and carrying 5 adults comfortably. The truck has good clearance as it allowed the 4x4 to plow right through the recent blizzard we had here in CO (4 foot drifts). Well powered for its weight.

Favorite Features

Smooth, comfortable ride. Doesn't bounce around like some other trucks. Also, the power back window is a nice feature, not found on many other trucks.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, for the HP being produced, is lousy. I can improve this with add-ons, but shouldn't have to. Also, the cruise control forces the engine to rev too high to get back to its mph setting. This feature needs better engineering.

2006 Tundra Limited 4Dr 4X4
By Steven Marco

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this new Tundra because a co-worker has one with 90K hard-driving miles and stil feels "new". I love the Tundra because it has ample room for 5 comfortable passengers, has an easy-to-use 4x4 system that has gotten me out of several icy situations. It has the refinement of a Mercedes-Benz combined with the fun of an ATV! After 2000 miles I would recommend this truck to anyone who needs a truck for family/projects/towing.

Favorite Features

"Instant" 4x4 (works great to get out of trouble when stuck in 2x4 mode) Flawless fit & finish, classy, intelligently-designed interior (feels like a luxury vehicle), variable valve-timing V8 has ample torque and horsepower, smoothest driving truck with proven resiliency to abuse.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had the ability to play MP3s (update the CD deck please) - this is easy to fix with an after-market sound system upgrade.

Toyota - why buy anything else?
By Kinsey

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We drive back and forth from city to city and this Tundra cruises like a full size sedan. You won't believe how quiet the engine is or how smooth the ride is in a double cab Tundra.

Favorite Features

The 4 door access cab is our favorite feature -- with 2 growing kids, you've gotta have it!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, but everyone wants that in their vehicle.

I love my new Tundra
By portac

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had my double cab for about a month now. I really love it. It drives like a car. I especially like the power rear window that rolls down. I get about 16 mpg driving to work, which isn't great. But I didn't buy a truck for the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Power rear window, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Would prefer that the back seats fold up toward the rear, instead of toward the front. I have keyless entry (keypad that locks/unlocks door with panic), but Toyota does not have a dealer installed alarm upgrade. Alarm upgrades that are installed by the dealer are after market.