Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

No quality no reliability
By Ed

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a Chevy Silverado for a Toyota Tundra. What a mistake! The 4 wheel drive broke after 200 miles. One week in the shop to install new control unit and front axle engaging device. Now the dashboard has a rattle in it and the fan is making a ticking noise. So far two trips to dealer have not resolved the problem. I have a Camry and love it. Toyota needs to stick to making cars and leave the truck building to some one else.

I LOVE my Tundra!!!
By kimbolykaye

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I test drove just about every model in every make. I had the salesman drive while I sat in the back seat to test its "passenger friendliness" as my other cars failed horribly in that aspect. We went over 2 speedbumps and barely felt it. As a driver, it is absolutely a comfort to drive. I love that the back window rolls down and that it's not too high so that my kids to get in and out easily. I have always had large vehicles and this is by far the best one I have ever driven. The turning radius for a large truck is nice, too.

The comfortable ride. Rides smooooooth!

Larger arm rest on chairs, better quality stereo system, definitely better interior storage - behind the rear seats would be nice to hide items that I don't want seen.

Highly Recommend
By Lovin it!

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had been looking at all the big diesel trucks (Dodge, Ford, Chevy) but I found for 99.9% of what I needed to do this truck would be more than enough. The Toyota reputation really drew me to this truck and hasn't let me down. The only bummer is the mileage (I am getting 15 in mixed driving) but everything else is great.

Comfortable seats, rear passenger room (2 car seats and 1 adult comfortably) more than enough power, pretty quiet for a truck, the simplicity of the dash and controls and the forced downshift when you hit the brakes going down hill.

The headrests are in a weird angle and not adjustable forward and backward. I really had to think.

Great Pickup
By COTundra

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I really consider this an over-powered small pickup. The truck really does not compete with traditional full-sized US manufactured pickups. Towing cap. is mid-range to low at 6500 lbs., but perfect for my needs: towing snowmobiles, quads, camper, etc. A great truck for long trips from sea level to the continental divide, with toys in tow, and carrying 5 adults comfortably. The truck has good clearance as it allowed the 4x4 to plow right through the recent blizzard we had here in CO (4 foot drifts). Well powered for its weight.

Smooth, comfortable ride. Doesn't bounce around like some other trucks. Also, the power back window is a nice feature, not found on many other trucks.

Fuel economy, for the HP being produced, is lousy. I can improve this with add-ons, but shouldn't have to. Also, the cruise control forces the engine to rev too high to get back to its mph setting. This feature needs better engineering.

2006 Tundra Limited 4Dr 4X4
By Steven Marco

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this new Tundra because a co-worker has one with 90K hard-driving miles and stil feels "new". I love the Tundra because it has ample room for 5 comfortable passengers, has an easy-to-use 4x4 system that has gotten me out of several icy situations. It has the refinement of a Mercedes-Benz combined with the fun of an ATV! After 2000 miles I would recommend this truck to anyone who needs a truck for family/projects/towing.

"Instant" 4x4 (works great to get out of trouble when stuck in 2x4 mode) Flawless fit & finish, classy, intelligently-designed interior (feels like a luxury vehicle), variable valve-timing V8 has ample torque and horsepower, smoothest driving truck with proven resiliency to abuse.

Wish it had the ability to play MP3s (update the CD deck please) - this is easy to fix with an after-market sound system upgrade.