Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Am I the only one
By L EDMONDS

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new in Dec. 2005 and I have been very disappointed in the transmission and brakes. The brakes feel spongy and occasionally the brake pedal will sink way down and I feel like vehicle isn't going to stop, probably a problem with the ABS. Also the transmission sticks in gear and is very slow to shift into the next gear. When accelerating I have had the RPMS redline because the tranny is not shifting but stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. Erratic and jerky shifting on tranny. Sometimes it will shift into 5th gear when I am only going 25 or 30 MPH.

Ride is excellent and seats are very comfortable.

Improve braking system and Electronic Transmission control. Also my A/C went out after only owning for a few months.

Tight and solid quality counts
By Stan

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the quality feel and tight solid body of this truck. I owned an 02 Tundra and was very happy, but the 06 is much peppier, with more horsepower and the new 5 speed transmission is beautifully geared to keep the engine in the proper torque range, so it performs very very well. It's extremely quiet - no wind or engine noise. Nice ride. Got 18 mpg driving 200 miles home from dealer, in spite of over an hour idling along in a huge traffic jam. It's not as roomy or comfortable as the Titan or the Ram 1500, wont haul as much. But I haul only occasional light weight trailers, so a 7/8 size truck fits my needs perfectly. Love it

Superior build quality. No rattles. Quiet, nice ride, engine & 5-speed performs beautifully, tight and solid, handles very well. Reliable. Relatively good mileage (18) first 200 mile trip.

See the 07 Tundra. I went for the 06. 2500 rebate. 06 is big enough for me - has been built for several years. No bugs.

2006 Tundra double cab
By Don

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am very happy with Toyota build quality. (Camry = 240K 4Runner = 85K) I like almost everything about this vehicle. The ride is excellent. It is smooth and quite. It has plenty of interior room. Rear seat has more room than my Suburban rear seat. Plenty of power for the engine size. Cruises well on the interstate. Pulls and hauls well. The truck came with just the few options I wanted. I wanted a truck not a limo. After shopping I found this vehicle for just a few hundred more than a Chevy with the same options. Everyone that rides in it comments on the ride quality. Radio/CD is OK but not great. Need a football field to turn it around. Parking is tough. It sits a little too high.

Power rear window. Great ride. Plenty of room.

Tighter turning radius. Better gas mileage (my 5.7L Suburban gets better milage,turns and parks better), 2-3 inch lower stance. Bench seat in front with fold down console (it only seats 5). Then it would be a perfect 10.

Stepside Tundra 4x4
By Truck Man

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Only two complaints: Toyota does not offer a manual tranny for the V8, and the performance leaves something to be desired. This truck is light years better than the domestics I have had.

Shift-on-the-fly 4x4.

Move the gas gauge so it can be seen while driving.

Quality ?
By Tom Bergklint

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Tundra 4dr 4WD in 12/06 brand new. I previously owned a 2002 access cab 4WD. The quality of this Tundra is inferior to my 2002. I have a shifter lever that doesn't like to let the key out, heater controls that work hard, and an A/C that didn't work when I got it. The truck is nice riding, but huge to try to parallel park. The gas mileage is only 15-16 and really needs improvement. I wish I would have kept my 2002 and I hope that Toyota's quality is not starting to slip. I still have not received the questionaire from Toyota asking me how I like my truck. I plan on letting them know about the difference in quality from my 2002 to this 2006.

• SUV