Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

2006 Tundra double cab
By Don

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am very happy with Toyota build quality. (Camry = 240K 4Runner = 85K) I like almost everything about this vehicle. The ride is excellent. It is smooth and quite. It has plenty of interior room. Rear seat has more room than my Suburban rear seat. Plenty of power for the engine size. Cruises well on the interstate. Pulls and hauls well. The truck came with just the few options I wanted. I wanted a truck not a limo. After shopping I found this vehicle for just a few hundred more than a Chevy with the same options. Everyone that rides in it comments on the ride quality. Radio/CD is OK but not great. Need a football field to turn it around. Parking is tough. It sits a little too high.

Power rear window. Great ride. Plenty of room.

Tighter turning radius. Better gas mileage (my 5.7L Suburban gets better milage,turns and parks better), 2-3 inch lower stance. Bench seat in front with fold down console (it only seats 5). Then it would be a perfect 10.

Stepside Tundra 4x4
By Truck Man

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Only two complaints: Toyota does not offer a manual tranny for the V8, and the performance leaves something to be desired. This truck is light years better than the domestics I have had.

Shift-on-the-fly 4x4.

Move the gas gauge so it can be seen while driving.

Quality ?
By Tom Bergklint

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Tundra 4dr 4WD in 12/06 brand new. I previously owned a 2002 access cab 4WD. The quality of this Tundra is inferior to my 2002. I have a shifter lever that doesn't like to let the key out, heater controls that work hard, and an A/C that didn't work when I got it. The truck is nice riding, but huge to try to parallel park. The gas mileage is only 15-16 and really needs improvement. I wish I would have kept my 2002 and I hope that Toyota's quality is not starting to slip. I still have not received the questionaire from Toyota asking me how I like my truck. I plan on letting them know about the difference in quality from my 2002 to this 2006.

No quality no reliability
By Ed

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a Chevy Silverado for a Toyota Tundra. What a mistake! The 4 wheel drive broke after 200 miles. One week in the shop to install new control unit and front axle engaging device. Now the dashboard has a rattle in it and the fan is making a ticking noise. So far two trips to dealer have not resolved the problem. I have a Camry and love it. Toyota needs to stick to making cars and leave the truck building to some one else.

I LOVE my Tundra!!!
By kimbolykaye

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I test drove just about every model in every make. I had the salesman drive while I sat in the back seat to test its "passenger friendliness" as my other cars failed horribly in that aspect. We went over 2 speedbumps and barely felt it. As a driver, it is absolutely a comfort to drive. I love that the back window rolls down and that it's not too high so that my kids to get in and out easily. I have always had large vehicles and this is by far the best one I have ever driven. The turning radius for a large truck is nice, too.

The comfortable ride. Rides smooooooth!

Larger arm rest on chairs, better quality stereo system, definitely better interior storage - behind the rear seats would be nice to hide items that I don't want seen.