Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Bought it for the ride
By Charlie P

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned this since 1/06. Very comfortable ride! Lots of compliments on the mica blue color. Have been waiting a LONG TIME to get the recall work done (front suspension lower ball joints. Dealership says parts are back ordered). Could not get the running boards I originally ordered either - waited 6 mos. and then was told that the dealership no longer used that supplier. Settled for the "tube" type. Agree with most other reviewers - u-turns are K- turns! Really like the overall handling, braking is good, feel very safe in traffic.

The smooth ride! and the power rear window.

Recalls should be handled more quickly!

Solid Truck
By Good truck

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

If you don't need a large engine for hauling loads, this is a solid vehicle. The performance has been good thus far. MPG is a bit lower than I'd like for a smaller V8. Interior features are decent. So far it has been what I would expect from Toyota.

Heated mirrors, audio controls on the steering wheel. The double cab offers plenty of room for grown people and carseats.

Better fuel economy.

So far, so good
By FunPro

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 SR5 (4dr) in December. It has more than enough power, better than average comfort for a truck, and I like the look. It would be easy to complain about the mileage, but I do not believe anyone ever purchased a full size truck because it got good gas mileage. Therefore, I only have two concerns. When idling down a hill, almost any hill, it often shifts into a lower gear and the RPMs jump up to 3000+! The local dealership admitted to receiving complaints about this, but claimed there is no fix. Also, as others have stated, the turning radius is poor. If you are attempting a u-turn, make sure you have MORE than 2 lanes to your left.

Good acceleration, automatic rear window, plenty of legroom and cup holders for ALL passengers.

Improve the transmission, tighten the turning radius, and add lumbar support to the front seats.

Almost Worth The Wait
By Jack

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After researching both large and small trucks for the last few years, the decision came down to the Tundra because of its build quality and price. Overall the truck is great. Great to drive, really comfortable and very quiet. I've only had a minor problem with the brake light sensor keeping the brake lights on. I'm extremely disappointed in the gas mileage, 12 in town and 15 on the road (its only a 2WD). I would have been happy with 16/18. Makes me wonder how this may affect the engine over time. Got 20 years out of my last truck, but I'm not sure yet how this Tundra will fare over time.

Body build quality, smooth and quiet ride. Feels like your driving in your living room. I use the retractable rear window a lot more than I thought.

Improve fuel economy. Seat covers and carpeting seem a little cheap.

06 Tundra Crew
By apcamby

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome truck, good power, great ride, very comfortable, useful features, I would recommend this truck to anyone in the large truck market.

Full slide down back glass.