Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Our Boutique Tundra
By carnut1973

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased our burgundy Tundra Double Cab Limited 2WD new...had all options: sunroof, leather, 6-disc in-dash changer and dealer installed Borla exhaust (which sounded great--it was the wife's truck and she wanted a truck that sounded like a truck). Our Tundra performed wonderfully but we sold it when gas prices shot over $4/gal because it really was only being used as a commuter-got about 16 in town and could squeeze out 20 on the highway. As a boutique truck it did great--smooth ride, 5 adults could travel in comfort and the full size bed w/ tonneau cover could carry ridiculous amounts of luggage.

Favorite Features

1/2 acre-sized sunroof, rear window that rolled down, strong JBL sound system; comfortable, heated, leather captain chair seats.

Suggested Improvements

The only real gripe was the "old school" looking dash board. The transmission tended to down-shift too easily when cruising on the interstate going up a hill--the computer's programming was probably set up under the assumption the truck would be hauling more weight than we did. Also, this was probably more noticeable since we had the Borla exhaust on it which really could not be heard when cruising except when the truck downshifted. With the stock exhaust I would assume the downshifting would be less noticeable.

First V8 Truck
By Hayden

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I really missed not having a truck for the past 5 years. With the $4 a gallon gas I found some amazing deals out there on barely used trucks. I usually commute on a 52mpg motorcycle so fuel mileage is irrelevant to me. Having said that I average 19.1 gallons in the tundra with a easy driving style. It will get over 20mpg on road trips @70-75 mph. I wanted a double cab with at least a 6' bed which ruled out a lot of trucks. I drove a dodge and ford but they seemed to lack refinement and power. Overall I am very happy with the truck its the limited so its loaded with very nice JBL 6 disc changer, plenty of interior room, excellent ride smooth and quiet.

Favorite Features

Power and torque is great for towing my 21' boat. Great for loading the bed and camping trips. Handles 6' lumber loads easily with tailgate up. Comfortable seats and excellent control placement. Quick warm up time in the winter. Power rear window. Factory tow package incl transmission cooler stock.

Suggested Improvements

Alarm shock sensors over sensitive. Paint seems to chip easily around the front grill and headlights. I paid $16,000 (with a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty) for a 2 y/o truck with 28,000 miles on it. This truck was $32,000 new that is why I don't buy new trucks

2006 Toyota Tundra with XPS package V8
By Carlos

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very useful and comfortable to drive, great cargo in the back, fun to drive, but painful to park, I had trucks all my life, the worst direction and ratio.

Favorite Features

Powerful, big, 5 people confortable seated, reliable, excellent

Suggested Improvements

Should improve direction and ratio for parking and U turns, worst ever, and I'm a toyota lover.

Great Truck
By Moe

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I agonized of my choice between the Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra. I have driven chevy's for years, however I am more than happy with my choice of the Toyota Tundra. It is a great ride. It handles well and has adequate cabin space. I am a big guy and I fit very comfortably in the driver seat. The rear roll down window is a plus. The pay load and towing ability is satisfactory, it fits my families needs. Toyota service is second to none. Can improve gas mileage and storage space. I think you will love this truck.

Favorite Features

Drive Train. Has lots of power and is a smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage and Storage Space

Not a work truck
By tommy2

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Truck is nice to have parked in your driveway so that your friends can praise it's style. But don't hook up a 4500lb loaded trailer or put 20 sheets of 1/2" plywood in the back. It will strain and groan to get going, and by the way, don't pass any gas stations when loaded. Otherwise, it is nice and quiet, ride is smooth, takes pumps well, and stops when you need to. I have 4000 miles in 5 weeks, and will be trading it off next month for a truck that I can use for my work

Favorite Features

Style, interior, quiet ride.. Engine compartment is roomy and vitals are to check. High rails on cargo bed great for large items.

Suggested Improvements

Shift pattern for loaded truck. Have to tap the accelerator to get it to shift up at 45 MPH as engine is winding out around 3500 RPM's. Insulating strips on bottom of door falling off. Need better attachment method..