2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
2006 Tundra XSP
By miller1624 on 04/14/10 09:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new. It now has 87K miles on it and it has never had anything done but oil service. Very dependable and sharp truck. My only compliant is it gets poor fuel mileage and the turning radius is terrible. Bottom line it looks great and never breaks down.

Best Truck Ever
By Matt on 01/07/10 08:29 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a Ford, and a Chevy truck this Tundra by far is the best I have owned. Mine has the bench with the fold down arm rest and I love it. I fit six pretty big guys in there with no problem. I have pulled trailers that weighed close to 6500 lbs and it felt like nothing was back there...The truck is rated kind of low for towing but I think it can handle most loads...I actually average about 19.2 mpg overall and thats a 6 month avg. Low maintenance Great overall truck...We are Toyota Family and would recommend this truck to anyone looking for one. I am ready for my next one in about 20 years.........

I'm happy I looked and waited...
By lvitch on 04/16/09 15:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great Truck! Down sides: Needs better lumbar support, Big turning radius (I'm used to my old pathfinder), windshield scratches easily. I love this truck more every time I drive it. Plenty of power, I don't even know my 19' bass boat is back there. Highway passing is effortless. Gets the same mileage whether I'm towing or not (18 mpg). Plenty of room for me and my family (I'm 6'1 and my kids are huge). Hands down the best I looked at and drove, period.

Love My truck
By DHoward96 on 03/12/09 00:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the truck more and more everyday. I bought it 7/31/06. I was a Chevy man to the core, traded a 00 Silverado ext. cab to get this truck. I have used it to tow everything from my 24 ft. pontoon to my 25 ft. camper. I tested 06 Silverado and Ram crew cabs, they didn't compare to this truck overall. Had a bigger bed than the 06 Silverado and interior is just as comfortable. All the Dodge had going for it was that gas-sucking hemi. Toyota in my opinion had it beat everywhere else. If Toyota ever produces a diesel, I will never drive anything else. That is the only way you will ever get decent fuel mileage towing a camper. Great looking truck too. Large truck fuel economy though.

Worth the Money
By Bryan G. on 07/30/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck new; despite the updated bodystyle, this truck gets looks. Purchased the XSP package, everyone asks me about the 20" tires & rims. I tell them it came with the package. Truck has been extremely reliable, will tow & carry whatever I need it to. Do not drive much (only about 7K per year), the gas mileage is what it is; a consistent 15 mpg around town.

Good but not great
By Dan on 07/04/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle just over two years. I had an 03 access cab but with a growing family, needed the extra room. I mostly drive in the city and I am averaging around 17 MPG. I would of liked a bit more. The paint, while not bad, easily dings and scratches. Parking, as has been mentioned before, is a chore, so I park way out at most places. The transmission seems to have a hard time finding the correct gear, specially when using the cruise. The automatic downshifting when going downhill is also annoying. Otherwise, I wish it had a little better acceleration. Also, it eats front tires. Alignment OK though. Overall, decent truck, but it doesn't really stand out in any particular category.

Great Truck
By rlhill96 on 06/03/08 15:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned both Ford and Chevys in the past and the '06 Tundra SR5 Double Cab is by far the best I have ever owned. Only two complaints, fuel mileage and turning radius. Both of these are minor complaints due to the fact that this is a big truck, and you cant expect to get mileage in the 20's with something this size or expect to turn it like a corolla. I sure when (if) I wear this one out, I will be purchasing another full size Toyota. It is extremely comfortable and fun to drive and has plenty of power to haul my needs.

Love my Tundra
By Love my TOYota! on 02/14/08 09:34 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is an excellent, well built vehicle. It handles very well on or off road. Well worth the initial cost. I don't need to worry about it breaking down. Had a Dodge which does not even come close to comparison from the start (i.e. engine & transmission dependability even the first 100k miles). Everything, from how the doors fit shut to how it handles driving, it is a well built vehicle with a group of mechanics that take the time and effort to keep tight specs and pride in their work. The time spent for quality in product, logical engineering and not just pushing a product out the door to just make a buck has a great product being produced. Thank you Toyota, for the grand work!

Great Truck
By Phillip Bardin on 12/29/07 14:52 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this truck. Very comfortable to drive. Stable in curves if not pushed real hard (not a sports car). Decent gas mileage I get 18 all around and 20+ on trips. Ride height gives great vision of road. I bought the 2006 because I liked the smaller truck better than the larger 2008.

The 7/8 truck
By dave on 12/11/07 19:57 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I just love this truck and the color salsa red. We have the x-sp package with the 18" enkei alloy w/tire upgrade. I have no problem towing my boat or trailer with the truck. I like side molding w/chrome inserts. I like the double wall cargo bed with rail caps and locking tailgate and chrome step tubes. This truck rides like a car, very smooth and takes the bumps very well, that is why my wife likes to drive it. If you watch the lights and don't punch the gas when you take off, you can get 16 mpg in the city and 19 on the highway, the best i got was 21 on the highway and 16 in the city. The arm rests are a little small for anyone.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.