Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

It's big, it's long, and you're gonna love it.
By Jim

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The double cab gives this truck a very long wheelbase which is great for ride comfort, but bad for turning radius. Also, it makes the truck heavy, so fuel economy takes a bit of a hit. Probably between 16 and 17 MPG on average. Some of the radio controls became "wonky" or uncooperative with age. If you're the "do-it-yourself" type, some standard maintenance tasks are pretty simple on this truck. I replaced the serpentine belt in about 15 minutes having never done one before, and I also replaced the front brake pads and rotors in an afternoon. (I tried to get the rotors turned, but they just needed to be replaced, so that ate up some time.) For auto-mechanic ability, I'm probably about a 5, but these jobs were easier than I expected.

2006 4WD DC Limited with 52k miles
By abcinv@yahoo.com

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the perfect size for a truck. I've owned three F150's and none felt as comfortable as this truck. So far I've had zero problems (other than it loves to drink gas).
My mileage will actually go down and I expect to hit 100k miles around year 2025. With Toyota holding value so well I expect to get most of my money back when it comes time to sell (just before 100k miles).

Solid Truck.
By roverfanatic7

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have the 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited. Best truck. Comfortable, fun to drive, luxury interior, and solid reliability. The truck has 100,000 miles on it and no problems whatsoever. Maintenance is cheap. MPG isn't great, but it is a truck with V8 power. Solid offroader, great for firewooding and hunting. You won't find a better value.
This truck defensibly definitely beats the American competitors.

Offroad ready; power

Bigger wheels and tires

Great TRUCK!
By yangk

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck used with 14,000 miles in 2008. Now has 56,000 miles and needs it's first pair of brakes. It's a V8 so gas/fuel consumption is not like a PRIUS so I'm not whinning. I average 18 mpg mix hwy/city and about 19-20 hwy. Tows my 18' Lund fishing boat nicely. 6' bed is a must, I didn't buy a new Tundra because of the bed. The crew cab is great, handles 5 adult passenger w/ ease. Interior is ok, when it's cold, it creeks when you go over bumps. Parking is a-ok, like any truck, it won't have turning radius like my wife's Lexus. Overall, I love it, and plan on keeping it for a LONG LONG LONG time! These trucks are also hard to come along. If I find another one, I might snatch er' up

V8, 4x4, rolling rear window, truck bed, crew cab

Paint is slowly peeling underside of my fenders, but I drive through gravel roads so it doesn't surprise me.

Our Boutique Tundra
By carnut1973

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased our burgundy Tundra Double Cab Limited 2WD new...had all options:
sunroof, leather, 6-disc in-dash changer and dealer installed Borla exhaust (which sounded great--it was the wife's truck and she wanted a truck that sounded like a truck). Our Tundra performed wonderfully but we sold it when gas prices shot over $4/gal because it really was only being used as a commuter-got about 16 in town and could squeeze out 20 on the highway.
As a boutique truck it did great--smooth ride, 5 adults could travel in comfort and the full size bed w/ tonneau cover could carry ridiculous amounts of luggage.

1/2 acre-sized sunroof, rear window that rolled down, strong JBL sound system; comfortable, heated, leather captain chair seats.

The only real gripe was the "old school" looking dash board. The transmission tended to down-shift too easily when cruising on the interstate going up a hill--the computer's programming was probably set up under the assumption the truck would be hauling more weight than we did. Also, this was probably more noticeable since we had the Borla exhaust on it which really could not be heard when cruising except when the truck downshifted. With the stock exhaust I would assume the downshifting would be less noticeable.