Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Solid Truck.
By roverfanatic7

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have the 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited. Best truck. Comfortable, fun to drive, luxury interior, and solid reliability. The truck has 100,000 miles on it and no problems whatsoever. Maintenance is cheap. MPG isn't great, but it is a truck with V8 power. Solid offroader, great for firewooding and hunting. You won't find a better value. This truck defensibly definitely beats the American competitors.

Favorite Features

Offroad ready; power

Suggested Improvements

Bigger wheels and tires

Great TRUCK!
By yangk

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck used with 14,000 miles in 2008. Now has 56,000 miles and needs it's first pair of brakes. It's a V8 so gas/fuel consumption is not like a PRIUS so I'm not whinning. I average 18 mpg mix hwy/city and about 19-20 hwy. Tows my 18' Lund fishing boat nicely. 6' bed is a must, I didn't buy a new Tundra because of the bed. The crew cab is great, handles 5 adult passenger w/ ease. Interior is ok, when it's cold, it creeks when you go over bumps. Parking is a-ok, like any truck, it won't have turning radius like my wife's Lexus. Overall, I love it, and plan on keeping it for a LONG LONG LONG time! These trucks are also hard to come along. If I find another one, I might snatch er' up

Favorite Features

V8, 4x4, rolling rear window, truck bed, crew cab

Suggested Improvements

Paint is slowly peeling underside of my fenders, but I drive through gravel roads so it doesn't surprise me.

Our Boutique Tundra
By carnut1973

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased our burgundy Tundra Double Cab Limited 2WD new...had all options: sunroof, leather, 6-disc in-dash changer and dealer installed Borla exhaust (which sounded great--it was the wife's truck and she wanted a truck that sounded like a truck). Our Tundra performed wonderfully but we sold it when gas prices shot over $4/gal because it really was only being used as a commuter-got about 16 in town and could squeeze out 20 on the highway. As a boutique truck it did great--smooth ride, 5 adults could travel in comfort and the full size bed w/ tonneau cover could carry ridiculous amounts of luggage.

Favorite Features

1/2 acre-sized sunroof, rear window that rolled down, strong JBL sound system; comfortable, heated, leather captain chair seats.

Suggested Improvements

The only real gripe was the "old school" looking dash board. The transmission tended to down-shift too easily when cruising on the interstate going up a hill--the computer's programming was probably set up under the assumption the truck would be hauling more weight than we did. Also, this was probably more noticeable since we had the Borla exhaust on it which really could not be heard when cruising except when the truck downshifted. With the stock exhaust I would assume the downshifting would be less noticeable.

2006 Tundra XSP
By miller1624

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new. It now has 87K miles on it and it has never had anything done but oil service. Very dependable and sharp truck. My only compliant is it gets poor fuel mileage and the turning radius is terrible. Bottom line it looks great and never breaks down.

Favorite Features

Great looks very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

turning radius

Great Truck, Poor MPG
By Chuck F

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck just over a yr ago, changed the plugs and air filter, but still can not get over 13.9 on a trip straight through driving. Got as low as 10 mpg 4 wheel drive winter city driving, I average 12.5 mpg :(

Favorite Features

Leather, heated seats, jbl speakers, electric rear window, sunroof, steering wheel controls, no leaks!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy, GPS is not user friendly.