Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Another great Toyota truck!!
By huladog

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My previous Toyota truck was a 1992 4WD V6 with a 5-speed. I racked up over 285,000 miles on it with no problems. Take care of your Toyota, it will take care of you. Same has held true for my 2006 Tundra. I found an extremely rare 2006 SR5 Access Cab with the 4.0L and a 6-speed manual transmission and had to have it. Bought it in 2011 with 181,000 miles. Miles mean nothing on Toyotas if they have been maintained. Replaced the shocks with Bilstein HD's (Yellow), and it made it ride like a new truck! With 220,000 miles on it, I am ready to declare my Tundra the worthy successor to the Beast! Had one single failure, a bad coil, which was easy to replace. 400,000 here I come!

Smooth power from 4.0L engine Roomy and comfortable Smooth, quiet ride and great noise isolation Accurate steering makes highway cruising easy Very tight turning radius compared to competition Love my Toyota!

Upgrade to performance brake pads for measurable improvement in performance. Dash material a little plasticky. Durable, but can scratch Stock sound system is pretty weak

What a truck.
By fj80

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Perfect all around truck, great gas millage and reliability.

There is lots of talk out there regarding tundra locking on towing power and I strongly disagree with this statement. I have hauled power generators 4-7K lbs all day every day for 5 years and it performed great. I have added couple of lives in the rear suspension to handle extra towing and that made the truck. With the extra help the truck was more stable and it handled 1000lbs of constant weight I would carry on me at all times. The bed thing is the truck is gone my company that i work for decided to replace it for 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 and all the fun ended there.

All the truck needs is stiffer suspension on the back. Stronger Rear differential (2000-2006 models equipped with 4.10 diff).

Love this truck
By truckie124

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in 2008 with 18000 miles and have put 30000 on it since then. I used it for 2 years for my carpentry business. Rear sliding window came in handy picking up lumber. My father has a 2004 SR5 and the 2006 rides much more car-like than the 2004. It really feels smooth and is an all around great truck. Used to drive a Chevy but had problems with the transmission at 30K miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything for us (after our family had bought 4 cars from them). Will never go back after driving this truck! I love this thing!

Pros: Reliable, Smooth ride, powerful enough for what most will use it for (this includes contractors), spacious rear seat (for an access cab), 6 cup holders for people like me who drink a lot of coffee, logical controls, great performance in snow in 4wd, looks awesome.

Cons: tire pressure sensor light problematic and is a nuisance feature, seatbelts don't retract well, poor interior lighting (very hard to see or read anything at night, poor turning radius when parking. Occasional hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear in upshift and downshift.

I liked this truck
By Rob

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this Toyota with about 44,000 miles on it and owned it for about a year. I did about 12,000 miles in it and never encountered any reliability issues. It was fairly powerful and quite fun to drive; it felt lighter and the handling felt more responsive than my father's F-150 but I found it harder to park. I eventually got in the habit of parking it in reverse which was much easier than parking forward. I am a careful driver and can usually get better than estimated MPG but I found that I was unable to improve this truck's MPG much with careful driving. The car felt well built and the interior was solid, although I did have some problems with paint peeling from the front bumper.

Fairly powerful and fun to drive. I never used the truck for towing. The interior was well designed with useful compartments and had plenty of room for other people. Never saw any problems from light off road driving and long highway driving. Always started quickly and never had reliability issues.

Paint began peeling from the front bumper around the time I sold it, but the rest of the paint was fine. I have spent time driving other trucks but I had difficulty parking and doing U-turns in this one as it seemed to have a large turning radius. Better MPG would be nice, but it is a truck.

Great Truck
By philip603

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Most reliable truck I have owned. Real fun to drive. Have to deal with drive line bumping when stopped which I understand is common for 2006 trucks from Toyota and Ford. Not a problem in terms of performance or safety. Just an annoyance. Performs more like a car. Last year of a true midsized pickup. 2007 they went huge with Tundra. It is a great size for functionality, comfort and handling.

Handling. Look of the step-side design. Nice size (not too big, not too small)