2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Another great Toyota truck!!
By huladog on 01/27/14 17:48 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My previous Toyota truck was a 1992 4WD V6 with a 5-speed. I racked up over 285,000 miles on it with no problems. Take care of your Toyota, it will take care of you. Same has held true for my 2006 Tundra. I found an extremely rare 2006 SR5 Access Cab with the 4.0L and a 6-speed manual transmission and had to have it. Bought it in 2011 with 181,000 miles. Miles mean nothing on Toyotas if they have been maintained. Replaced the shocks with Bilstein HD's (Yellow), and it made it ride like a new truck! With 220,000 miles on it, I am ready to declare my Tundra the worthy successor to the Beast! Had one single failure, a bad coil, which was easy to replace. 400,000 here I come!

What a truck.
By fj80 on 12/07/11 22:09 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Perfect all around truck, great gas millage and reliability.

Love this truck
By truckie124 on 02/14/11 11:36 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in 2008 with 18000 miles and have put 30000 on it since then. I used it for 2 years for my carpentry business. Rear sliding window came in handy picking up lumber. My father has a 2004 SR5 and the 2006 rides much more car-like than the 2004. It really feels smooth and is an all around great truck. Used to drive a Chevy but had problems with the transmission at 30K miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything for us (after our family had bought 4 cars from them). Will never go back after driving this truck! I love this thing!

I liked this truck
By Rob on 05/23/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this Toyota with about 44,000 miles on it and owned it for about a year. I did about 12,000 miles in it and never encountered any reliability issues. It was fairly powerful and quite fun to drive; it felt lighter and the handling felt more responsive than my father's F-150 but I found it harder to park. I eventually got in the habit of parking it in reverse which was much easier than parking forward. I am a careful driver and can usually get better than estimated MPG but I found that I was unable to improve this truck's MPG much with careful driving. The car felt well built and the interior was solid, although I did have some problems with paint peeling from the front bumper.

Great Truck
By philip603 on 03/08/10 23:17 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Most reliable truck I have owned. Real fun to drive. Have to deal with drive line bumping when stopped which I understand is common for 2006 trucks from Toyota and Ford. Not a problem in terms of performance or safety. Just an annoyance. Performs more like a car. Last year of a true midsized pickup. 2007 they went huge with Tundra. It is a great size for functionality, comfort and handling.

Brakes are TERRIBLE
By Used 2 Love Toyota on 02/18/10 18:45 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought it new, and it ran like a dream. Then at about 20-25K miles, the brakes started going bad. On slippery roads, whenever I stepped on the brake pedal, it'd seize up and the truck would take forever to stop. Brought it to the dealer, who said the brakes are perfect. Dealt with it for another 40K miles (yes, I should've gotten rid of it). It's at the point that when there's even the slightest bit of rain or snow on the road, the whole truck shakes violently when I try to brake. Tried pressing my entire weight on the brake, and the truck slowly comes to a stop. I've almost gotten killed twice. Google it. You'll see. Total nightmare. Dealer says it's "normal for this model".

I love my Tundra
By TruHuSKa on 04/27/09 08:10 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Thus far, I love this truck. I've owned it for 2 weeks and love getting in it to drive to work, home, anywhere! The sound of the V8 humming is great. The feel of the Off-road suspension is nice and stiff, but not overly stiff. There's plenty of get-up and you feel as if the truck is always pushing forward as you accelerate (that is, the automatic shifts very smoothly without loosing any power during shifts). Turning corners are a breeze in this truck. While driving, you feel on top of the world with the 17" wheels and rims added to the 4x4 off-road suspension. All-in-all, this truck is a dream to drive and overall, gas mileage isn't too bad for a truck. I'd highly recommend it.

New old Tundra
By fossilfinder66 on 04/25/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Because it was such a beast to park, we traded our 2004 Tundra crew cab for a new Frontier but later missed the cushy Tundra ride. Several weeks ago we purchased a 2006 Access Cab with only 12,800 miles. It has the very comfortable captain's chairs with the short console. What a pleasure to take a trip in this baby. I was leary of getting the V-6 but the 5 speed automatic is programmed to work very well with this engine. Every power option works as a Toyota is expected to work. Even the back seats are large enough for small adults or grandchildren. This is a "real truck" without the bulk of other full size brands or the bounce of the smaller trucks.

Best Truck Made!
By GeoTundra on 04/10/09 13:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Limited 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is an all around great truck. It has never needed to be cranked more than one time to start even at 40,000 miles. This truck has gotten excellent fuel economy too! I've done about 550-600 miles on full tank, which I couldn't believe, remembering it's a V8. I took it to the dealer for the recall it had and it drives a little different from before but still not bad. Everything works as it should and this truck couldn't impress me more. No American car can compare to the reliability of this one.

Pleased Tundra owner
By B. Maz on 03/17/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After having many chevy/gmc trucks, I was ready to get a truck I wouldn't be disappointed with. My SR5/TRD has been a pleasure to own & fun to drive. I look forward to the next time I have to drive somewhere. Having the tow package w/ 4.10 gears & the transmission oil cooler allows me to feel very confident that it's capable to handle any task the domestic trucks will do. With that in mind, the gear setting is also why I don't get good gas mileage(& I have a heavy right foot, LOVE the power). To sum things up, I wanted a smaller truck with full size capabilities & found it in the 06 Toyota TUNDRA SR5 access cab w/ TRD Off Road.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.